Who should be allowed to drive in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2019, 06:11 AM
Default Who should be allowed to drive in TV?

In another thread there was a comment about the community is made up of older people and questioned some their ability to drive safely.

The ability to safely drive definitely diminishes (for some) as we age. Eye sight, reaction times, reaction to stressful events, etc. all take a toll.

There is obviously a wide variation in peoples abilities, and I was wondering what everyones feelings are about licensing and age/ability? My wife and I are planing on a Tesla in our future and one of the reasons is that we would prefer to let the car do the driving as we age. I am currently 70 and she is 65, and at this point we "feel" we are still capable, but we both agree that we can see the day coming when it would be better to not have to drive, but still retain the ability to be independently mobile.

There was also a recent article about an autonomous (self driving) taxi service coming to TV, which I think is a great alternative to driving as we age - assuming it is affordable.

What are your feelings about licensing requirements? Are you making plans for a future where you don't/can't drive?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 09-16-2019, 06:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

I am teaching my seeing eye dog to drive, and he is doing quite well.
Still gets a bit confused at roundabouts, and he is not very happy about driverless taxis!
Old 09-16-2019, 06:32 AM
Sage

In the current age of computer games everyone over the age of 70 should be require to take a computer driven simulator test dr every 3 years-- very simple sit in the simulator insert your drivers license, the machine scans your license to verify its the person , photographs the person being tested, now you take a five minute test drive, if you fail, you get an immediate do over, fail twice, you must take a real road test--I'm 76, soon to be 77 and I am will to do this, once you're past 80, the test should be every 2 years
Old 09-16-2019, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Unless a person has dementia, most people will decide wisely when it is no longer safe for them to drive just as many older people make unselfish and wise decisions every day.

Many young drivers are far more dangerous than many older drivers. Their insurance rates are high for good reason.

Estrogen, testosterone and the lack thereof and the highly used Zoloft are all silent factors in this very complicated question. Older drivers usually do not drive fast and they usually do not drive as much as younger drivers so the insurance question is complicated.

I am not driving. My doctors say I can but I have decided not to. I haven't had a citation for twenty five years, but I was hospitalized a couple of years ago for a very unexpected and very slow heartbeat that if it had not been diagnosed could have caused my sudden death. I have a pacemaker that corrects it, but my husband is willing to drive me and I am rethinking this over and over.

Why do you ask this question? Are you looking to debate or to hurt feelings?
Old 09-16-2019, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

I've felt this since I was a teen, when my aunt used to drive me around in Florida on Summer vacation, and my thoughts haven't changed over the decades.

1. You should have to take an eye test every time you go to renew your license if you are prescribed prescription lenses (whether you actually wear them or not).
2. You should have to take a physical driving test when you renew your license, if you have EVER been fined or convicted for DUI or "distracted driving."
3. You should have to take a physical driving test when you renew your license, from the time you are 60 years old, and each time after that.
4. For Florida, where the license is good for 8 years, that time should be cut in half if you are 60 or older. 8 years is a LONG time, and plenty of time for your body and mind, and most of all, reflexes, to change drastically when you're a senior.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:58 AM
Sage

Florida State Law determines who can and cannot drive here on our county owned roads. Until we see new legislation, nothing will change. How about anonymous reporting of bad drivers ??
Old 09-16-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Florida State Law determines who can and cannot drive here on our county owned roads. Until we see new legislation, nothing will change. How about anonymous reporting of bad drivers ??
1. This thread is asking peoples' opinions. What do you feel about the topic? What is your OPINION of the topic?

2. Legislation is often discussed and voted on based on the will of the legislators' constituents. We the People and all that. It's why we vote for our legislators - so they can vote in legislation that meets the needs of the people in their districts/states/counties/country.

3. Nothing will change if no one tells the legislators that it's a problem. Change comes about when people say that change is needed.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Older drivers do not want to give up their last right to independence. Our parents did not believe they should not be driving. So had to go round about with physicians and state to finally get things into perspective.

It’s hard to take that action, but they had no idea how bad their driving was, as Mom said, I drive better than anyone else. As she was driving 15 in a 50, cause she could no long see well enough
Old 09-16-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Why do you ask this question? Are you looking to debate or to hurt feelings?
I certainly am not looking to hurt feelings.

I spent 4 years driving a cash register at a convenience store in Phoenix AZ close to Sun City there (a retirement community). During that 4 years I often saw older people take quite literally 15 minutes to get from their car into the store to prepay for gas. They were exhausted just getting out of the drivers seat and would stand for 5 minutes leaning on the car before walking to the trunk and waiting again to catch their breath or wait for their heart rate to do back down. These people were putting other peoples lives at risk. It was NOT an infrequent occurrence, and our store manager had a policy of asking them to stay in their cars are we would go out to take their payment and pump their gas for them. I had to wonder if we were helping or enabling them.

I understand the need/desire to remain independent and being able to drive is a requirement for that independence in many communities. But, I also feel a responsibility to my fellow citizens to act responsibly and not put other peoples lives at risk. Driving is a privilege not a right.

There are numerous other questions/discussions I feel seniors should have. Things that traditionally polite people just didn't talk about. Dying, Life Support, DNRs, Living Wills, Who will care for my pets if I die etc. etc. etc.

Getting older is inevitable (unless you are a super-ager, but that is only about 5% of the population). And I think learning how (and when) to deal with aging is something we all should be concerned with and plan on prior to needing to do it. I read an interesting article written by a lady that was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She decided that she would make the decisions about her care and life and end of life while she still could. I admire that self determination, and respect her right to do it. I feel the same about other decisions such as driving. As I said, my wife and I can see a day coming where we should not (don[t want to) drive any more. And are making plans for that eventuality. Bringing the topic up here with a large group of people that face the same decisions is my way of getting input to give me things to think about that I may not have thought of.

What better place to learn about how others feel we should age. What we can do to age better. What should we do to age gracefully and responsibly.

I am sorry your first reaction to a serious question about a serious topic that I believe we all should be openly discussing and thinking about is that I was doing it to hurt some one. That is a very sad statement on TOTV and our ability to carry on open conversations about difficult topics.

I love to debate, true. And I am open to debating any topic anyone would like to debate - heck, I will even take whichever side they don't, just so we can debate.

But I NEVER say anything to hurt or insult anyone.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

Be Careful of people with purple hair, people who think they are the best drivers and everyone else is the worst. I know people who are over 80 and can out drive most people in their 50s
Old 09-16-2019, 07:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Older drivers do not want to give up their last right to independence. Our parents did not believe they should not be driving. So had to go round about with physicians and state to finally get things into perspective.

It’s hard to take that action, but they had no idea how bad their driving was, as Mom said, I drive better than anyone else. As she was driving 15 in a 50, cause she could no long see well enough
Wrestling away drivers licenses from the elderly can be so difficult. I think it would be wise if the law was devised to test yearly at age 80 to 85 for driver licenses and then completely surrender all drivers licenses at age 85. Senior transportation could be provided by public services for basic trips, ie: Dr/Dentist appts, pharmacies, church, grocery store, liquor store, (just put that one in there to see if you were paying attention). You get the basic idea. Seniors should be able to drive golf carts until they fall over.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
It's worse when you are riding with your mother and after she runs three red lights, you turn to her and say "Mother you just drove through 3 red lights!" and she turns to look at you and replies, "I am driving?"

... (joke)
Old 09-16-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Older drivers do not want to give up their last right to independence.

Yup, but is it a right to be independent? Driving is certainly NOT a right.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Be Careful of people with purple hair, people who think they are the best drivers and everyone else is the worst. I know people who are over 80 and can out drive most people in their 50s
I completely agree and as Gracie said, many teens are awful drivers. So, it would seem that what we need is an independent third party (driving tests and physicals?) to determine ability to drive.

Many older people with sleep apnea are not aware they have it, and many people with sleep apnea suffer narcolepsy (falling asleep at inappropriate times). So, without a third party test/evaluation they could put others lives at risk. I have sleep apnea, and I am treating it. I have no history of narcolepsy, but should I develop it and not be aware of it, I would want to have my license revoked.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:29 AM

Perhaps a slightly reworded subject line would help set the stage for a discussion like you seem to be soliciting. Something like “WHO SHOULD BE DRIVING IN TV?”. You seem to be asking at what point is a person both physically and mentally able to drive safely and who decides. Correct?

Adding the word “allowed” implies you are asking whether we want additional governmental control of who drives in TV. If that is what you are asking then my reply is that I think the government already controls too much of our lives. In regards to additional or more frequent driving tests I would ask whether the tester is having a good day or bad day, do they have a predisposition to allow or disallow seniors from driving, etc.

Yes, I believe that as we age our physical and mental capabilities decrease. And if , GOD Willing, you grow old enough there will come a point when driving becomes unsafe, for yourself and others. So let’s continue these discussions, look to our friends and family to help guide us when it becomes our time to hand over our keys. If we are open and prepared then it should not be too hard.

Thanks for the question and discussion.
Closed Thread

Tags
drive, age, driving, ability, safely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.