Who should be allowed to drive in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2019, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

There is a newer issue affecting all of us and that is driving impaired with illegal substances. All those laws against using drugs to get high and yet we are all impacted by drug impaired drivers.

I wonder how many older people use drugs or alcohol to get high, compared with other age groups.

I wonder if road rage is age related. Does anyone know?

I found this study, looking for a recent one;
Over 100 Car Accident Statistics for 2019 | U.S. and Global
Old 09-16-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcurrie911 View Post
Perhaps a slightly reworded subject line would help set the stage for a discussion like you seem to be soliciting. Something like “WHO SHOULD BE DRIVING IN TV?”. You seem to be asking at what point is a person both physically and mentally able to drive safely and who decides. Correct?

Adding the word “allowed” implies you are asking whether we want additional governmental control of who drives in TV. If that is what you are asking then my reply is that I think the government already controls too much of our lives. In regards to additional or more frequent driving tests I would ask whether the tester is having a good day or bad day, do they have a predisposition to allow or disallow seniors from driving, etc.

Yes, I believe that as we age our physical and mental capabilities decrease. And if , GOD Willing, you grow old enough there will come a point when driving becomes unsafe, for yourself and others. So let’s continue these discussions, look to our friends and family to help guide us when it becomes our time to hand over our keys. If we are open and prepared then it should not be too hard.

Thanks for the question and discussion.
Well, actually I agree and disagree with you. I do mean who should be ALLOWED to drive in TV.

It would be great if as Gracie suggested seniors would be responsible and stop driving when they are no longer able to safely drive.

BUT, I do not think I want to trust the lives of myself, my children and my grand children to SOME peoples belief that they are able to drive safely. Our worse, don't even carte if they can.

I agree the government does seem to be intruding more and more into our lives. But there are some areas where that is the whole point of government, to protect my RIGHT to life liberty, etc..
Old 09-16-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There is a newer issue affecting all of us and that is driving impaired with illegal substances. All those laws against using drugs to get high and yet we are all impacted by drug impaired drivers.

I wonder how many older people use drugs or alcohol to get high, compared with other age groups.

I wonder if road rage is age related. Does anyone know?

I found this study, looking for a recent one;
Over 100 Car Accident Statistics for 2019 | U.S. and Global
Excellent question, and I will add how many older seniors do not take ANY drugs/medications - I expect none? And how many of those prescriptions (and non-prescriptions) can result in impaired ability to drive or impaired ability to make a sound judgement as to ones own ability to drive!
Old 09-16-2019, 08:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Well, actually I agree and disagree with you. I do mean who should be ALLOWED to drive in TV.

It would be great if as Gracie suggested seniors would be responsible and stop driving when they are no longer able to safely drive.

BUT, I do not think I want to trust the lives of myself, my children and my grand children to SOME peoples belief that they are able to drive safely. Our worse, don't even carte if they can.

I agree the government does seem to be intruding more and more into our lives. But there are some areas where that is the whole point of government, to protect my RIGHT to life liberty, etc..
Just for the record. How old are you?

I will be 80 this November. I have no idea how that happened.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Excellent question, and I will add how many older seniors do not take ANY drugs/medications - I expect none? And how many of those prescriptions (and non-prescriptions) can result in impaired ability to drive or impaired ability to make a sound judgement as to ones own ability to drive!
The most widely prescribed medications for older people are statins and blood pressure medication. Neither affect judgement in any way, shape or form.

Study shows 70 percent of Americans take prescription drugs - CBS News

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-16-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:17 AM

Yes, I agree that government’s role is the protection of citizens, which I guess this falls into. But lets make that the last resort. Let’s rebuild our friends and family strengths and slow governments growth. My brothers and I speak frequently to my father of age 80 about driving. I ride with him today with no fear or concern of his capabilities but we continually remind him that the day will come. Setting the stage for what will hopefully be a easier transition.

These discussions help raise the issue and I hope everyone reading takes a little more responsibility for themselves or a loved one as a result.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Isnipped

What better place to learn about how others feel we should age. What we can do to age better. What should we do to age gracefully and responsibly.

snipped
Why not include with your "learning" how to handle the problem that would be created by denying more and more driver's their licenses and their need to get to activities, appts, shopping, etc? What do you intend to service their transportation needs - not all of which can be scheduled. That would be true learning and problem solving.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,737 Posts

The problem is as I see it, that nothing is walkable in TV also there are few to no sidewalks. There is no public transportation as in other cities which people who don’t drive take. Uber or taxis will not come into TV easily because the short distances are not worth it to most of them. Not everyone can afford a self-driving car when it comes out. So what do you do? I might as well get on that ice float cause I’m too much trouble if I can’t drive.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
In another thread there was a comment about the community is made up of older people and questioned some their ability to drive safely.

The ability to safely drive definitely diminishes (for some) as we age. Eye sight, reaction times, reaction to stressful events, etc. all take a toll.

There is obviously a wide variation in peoples abilities, and I was wondering what everyones feelings are about licensing and age/ability? My wife and I are planing on a Tesla in our future and one of the reasons is that we would prefer to let the car do the driving as we age. I am currently 70 and she is 65, and at this point we "feel" we are still capable, but we both agree that we can see the day coming when it would be better to not have to drive, but still retain the ability to be independently mobile.

There was also a recent article about an autonomous (self driving) taxi service coming to TV, which I think is a great alternative to driving as we age - assuming it is affordable.

What are your feelings about licensing requirements? Are you making plans for a future where you don't/can't drive?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Every road in The Villages are Public with the exception of Courtyard Yard Villages which are considered " Private " with public access.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Just for the record. How old are you?

I will be 80 this November. I have no idea how that happened.
I am ONLY 70. Yesterday or the day before I was 30...
Old 09-16-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Why not include with your "learning" how to handle the problem that would be created by denying more and more driver's their licenses and their need to get to activities, appts, shopping, etc? What do you intend to service their transportation needs - not all of which can be scheduled. That would be true learning and problem solving.
Well, I did include that my wife and I have discussed it and have a Tesla in our future, so that we get in the car and it takes us to the store, or the rec center, or wherever. When we finish shopping we don't wander around the parking lot (like I did yesterday) trying to remember when I left my car, I just summons it with my smart phone. For us that is step one of when we reach that point where we are not safe to drive ourselves. (Actually we don't wan't to wait until we can't, we plan to buy one soon, it is already mostly automatic on highways.)

And I also mentioned the news that a full autonomous taxi company will be coming to TV soon (if it isn;'t already here). Assuming it is affordable, that will be an excellent option for seniors that can not drive.

And I opened a discussion here, to learn and possibly to get some people who hadn't thought about it, to thinking about it. After all the best solution for anyone is the one they come up with for themselves.

And finally, I find it interesting that you look at it as "denying" someone the ability to get around. I am suggesting we allow people that are able to drive e safely to continue too drive as long as they can do it safely. That some will get old and become unable to drive is not my fault? I am n to denying them anything, I am trying to promote safety. I am sorry for anyone that loses the ability to drive safely, but I don't see that as "denying" them something they have a right to. Driving is a privilege.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

My parents retired to northern New Hampshire (the opposite of everyone else) but at 90 and 88 they are both still driving. My brother tried to get their keys but to no avail. They do know there limitations and try not to drive much at night etc but we are concerned.

Recently someone in Mass was ticketed for sleeping behind the wheel of their Tesla. It is still not perfect so be careful.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:57 AM
Sage

If older drivers are so good, why do insurance companies think otherwise? When you take the AARP course--there is little difference between seniors and teenagers--accident wise
Old 09-16-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
The problem is as I see it, that nothing is walkable in TV also there are few to no sidewalks. There is no public transportation as in other cities which people who don’t drive take. Uber or taxis will not come into TV easily because the short distances are not worth it to most of them. Not everyone can afford a self-driving car when it comes out. So what do you do? I might as well get on that ice float cause I’m too much trouble if I can’t drive.
Completely understand. Only a year ago we drove a 9 year old Toyota Yaris and had no plans to replace it... ever. A Tesla was not even an option. Today we are living in a senior citizens resort in our new home and making plans for a better future than we ever thought possible. We are extremely fortunate and lucky to be here.

We were living on a beautiful 11 acres in the country with a pond and heavily wooded for the past 10 years. As we began planning for our future, we realized that we could not stay on our "Green Acres". Someday, one of us would fall, or have a stroke, or something. And it was 15 minutes into town, 30 minutes for an ambulance to get to us and take us to a hospital - and a not very good hospital at that. Then when/if one of us died, the other would be left isolated and alone out in the country. Not a good situation for a senior.

We live(d) on our combined SS alone. Our 401k's, saving and everything were destroyed in the 2008 crash. After a couple dental/medical vacations to Ecuador we began seriously discussing immigrating to Ecuador. The cost of living is about 1/4 of what it is here. A 5 bedroom 3 bath home complete with utilities and internet is about $450/mth in and around Cuenca. Public transportation is amazing, buses anywhere every 5 minutes, and the ride costs $0.25 for seniors to go anywhere. Taxis are even faster, less than a minute wait and go anywhere for under $2.50. (They use American dollars for currency) Eating out a 4 course lunch was about $2.75 ea. And on and on.

100% coverage healthcare (no deductibles and including vision and dental) would run the two of us 17% of one of our SS income (premium of $340/mth) and the other would get virtually free coverage as a dependent. And lastly, the people there are amazing and friendly and happy. We really enjoyed our time there.

We struggled with this for a long time, because while it would be great for us, and give us the option to travel extensively and live better than here, it was 1000s of miles away from our families.

Luckily for us we came into an inheritance from a completely unexpected source and all our plans changed over night.

What has all that got to do with your post? It was that part of our consideration in moving to Ecuador was that Cuenca was designed for walking and public transportation. Instead of large shopping centers/plazas a 15 minute drive away like here, there they have neighborhood stores run by neighbors. We had literally dozens of small 3 or 4 table restaurants within a 5 minute walk of any house. There were small grocerys every block or two, bakeries with fresh bread daily within one block, etc... So, any daily shopping was as simple as walk across the street (almost). Going to the doctor was a 5 minute ride by taxi. Going to a mall was a 10 minute ride by bus.

That was a very big attraction to us, to be able to retain our ability to get around and to not be isolated.

And a bonus was the people and culture. They are a very family oriented culture, and respect seniors and foreigners. Even though we struggled to learn Spanish, everyone was happy to go out of their way to help us in anyway they could. Lots of arm waving and sign language to get our questions answered

If things had not changed for us, we would have been happy to move to Ecuador and with the reduced cost of living would have simply had to fly "home" to see family and friends occasionally.

My point, is there are options for almost everyone - not everyone I understand, but sometimes one needs to look outside the box to find a solution and the sooner one looks the easier it is to make the changes.

Honestly, here in the US, I think a senior that loses the ability to travel independently is pretty much destined for assisted living, and that is not cheap in this country.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Recently someone in Mass was ticketed for sleeping behind the wheel of their Tesla. It is still not perfect so be careful.
Yup, we are waiting impatiently for all the early adopters to get the tickets and have the accidents and iron out the bugs before we jump in

Tags
drive, age, driving, ability, safely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.