Who should be allowed to drive in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2019, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
If older drivers are so good, why do insurance companies think otherwise? When you take the AARP course--there is little difference between seniors and teenagers--accident wise
Read this. From 2014 but concise and easy to understand;

Young vs. Old: Who are the Safest Drivers? - Good2Go

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-16-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Read this. From 2014 but concise and easy to understand;

Young vs. Old: Who are the Safest Drivers? - Good2Go

No wants to wreck up their pretty cars.
Nice Cayenne, GG! Or is it a Macan?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-16-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:16 PM

As a HHC RN, I can guarantee you that most people, dementia or not, do NOT make wise decisions about driving. I could tell you tales that would make your blood crawl about ways that elderly people have devised to keep on driving long after they should have given up the keys.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Why not include with your "learning" how to handle the problem that would be created by denying more and more driver's their licenses and their need to get to activities, appts, shopping, etc? What do you intend to service their transportation needs - not all of which can be scheduled. That would be true learning and problem solving.
If a person is incapable of driving safely, then they should not be allowed to drive. The only way to know, is to test them once in awhile. I see no problem here at all.

Your right to be safe on public roads is more important than anyone's privilege to drive a motor vehicle. We are taught when we first take driving lessons, that driving is a privilege, and not a right, and that it is also a responsibility.

Once you are unable to be responsible, you should be required to give up your privilege.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Excellent question, and I will add how many older seniors do not take ANY drugs/medications - I expect none? And how many of those prescriptions (and non-prescriptions) can result in impaired ability to drive or impaired ability to make a sound judgement as to ones own ability to drive!
Mom 86 no meds, Either script or over counter. BP and cholesterol # most could only dream of. Thankful it’s passed on to next 2 generations
Old 09-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Insurance companies are not stupid. They give discounts for people that take DEFENSIVE DRIVING COURSES. Especially in the state that is the creator of the popular "DODGE THE BLUE HAIRS" GAME !!
Old 09-16-2019, 07:58 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

First they came for your car keys, then they came for your life. Once you start using language like "be allowed to...", where does it end?

Florida has mandatory license renewal. No one gets a free ride without getting an eye test. I have seen many 20 somethings with a death wish on the road, yet other than GG, no one else has brought that up. Drive defensively, always, and you'll outlive the "hold my beer and watch this" crowd.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
First they came for your car keys, then they came for your life. Once you start using language like "be allowed to...", where does it end?

Florida has mandatory license renewal. No one gets a free ride without getting an eye test. I have seen many 20 somethings with a death wish on the road, yet other than GG, no one else has brought that up. Drive defensively, always, and you'll outlive the "hold my beer and watch this" crowd.
I don't care how old you are, if you have trouble driving, then you shouldn't drive. As we age, our depth perception, reflexes, peripheral vision, muscle control, and hearing start to shift. Some people take longer than others, but ultimately - the aging process will occur whether you want it to or not.

By around 65, motor coordination is _most likely_ to start to lag a bit. That doesn't mean everyone will suddenly stop moving correctly on their 65th birthday. It DOES mean that somewhere around that age, is when your machinery will not be as well oiled as it used to be.

It's a good age to swap out the 8-year license renewals for a 4-year license renewal, and require a physical driving test in addition to an eye test. I know there are laws that have changed since I took my written exam in my state. I spent most of my life obeying the laws that I knew - such as approximately how far away you should be, behind the person driving in front of you.

But that was before the advent of anti-lock breaks and all-wheel drive. The rules have changed, and so now the criteria for "driving too close" moving violations is different from what it used to be.

What I think is tailgating, because I'm used to one set of laws, is actually reasonable, according to the current set of laws.

A lot of older drivers are in the same situation - they spent their lives with one set of laws, not really understanding how new laws might affect their own driving experience.

So between the physical aging process, updated or changed laws, and eyesight issues - I think it's a good idea to shorten the length of time between renewals, AND take a physical test again.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
If a person is incapable of driving safely, then they should not be allowed to drive. The only way to know, is to test them once in awhile. I see no problem here at all.

Your right to be safe on public roads is more important than anyone's privilege to drive a motor vehicle. We are taught when we first take driving lessons, that driving is a privilege, and not a right, and that it is also a responsibility.

Once you are unable to be responsible, you should be required to give up your privilege.
That would touch on all of the millennials who are drunk or high.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I don't care how old you are, if you have trouble driving, then you shouldn't drive. As we age, our depth perception, reflexes, peripheral vision, muscle control, and hearing start to shift. Some people take longer than others, but ultimately - the aging process will occur whether you want it to or not.

By around 65, motor coordination is _most likely_ to start to lag a bit. That doesn't mean everyone will suddenly stop moving correctly on their 65th birthday. It DOES mean that somewhere around that age, is when your machinery will not be as well oiled as it used to be.

It's a good age to swap out the 8-year license renewals for a 4-year license renewal, and require a physical driving test in addition to an eye test. I know there are laws that have changed since I took my written exam in my state. I spent most of my life obeying the laws that I knew - such as approximately how far away you should be, behind the person driving in front of you.

But that was before the advent of anti-lock breaks and all-wheel drive. The rules have changed, and so now the criteria for "driving too close" moving violations is different from what it used to be.

What I think is tailgating, because I'm used to one set of laws, is actually reasonable, according to the current set of laws.

A lot of older drivers are in the same situation - they spent their lives with one set of laws, not really understanding how new laws might affect their own driving experience.

So between the physical aging process, updated or changed laws, and eyesight issues - I think it's a good idea to shorten the length of time between renewals, AND take a physical test again.
Can you link any of this to fact?

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-17-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
In another thread there was a comment about the community is made up of older people and questioned some their ability to drive safely.

The ability to safely drive definitely diminishes (for some) as we age. Eye sight, reaction times, reaction to stressful events, etc. all take a toll.

There is obviously a wide variation in peoples abilities, and I was wondering what everyones feelings are about licensing and age/ability? My wife and I are planing on a Tesla in our future and one of the reasons is that we would prefer to let the car do the driving as we age. I am currently 70 and she is 65, and at this point we "feel" we are still capable, but we both agree that we can see the day coming when it would be better to not have to drive, but still retain the ability to be independently mobile.

There was also a recent article about an autonomous (self driving) taxi service coming to TV, which I think is a great alternative to driving as we age - assuming it is affordable.

What are your feelings about licensing requirements? Are you making plans for a future where you don't/can't drive?

Inquiring minds want to know!

WELL, I guess anyone with valid driver’s licenses
Old 09-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Florida State Law determines who can and cannot drive here on our county owned roads. Until we see new legislation, nothing will change. How about anonymous reporting of bad drivers ??
That would be opinion? Like 90% of drivers.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:29 AM

All vehicles should be tested for sufficient quantities of blinker fluid. The turn signals of far too many vehicles in The Villages do not seem to work.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 09-17-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenneyGuy View Post
All vehicles should be tested for sufficient quantities of blinker fluid. The turn signals of far too many vehicles in The Villages do not seem to work.
Maybe the magic smoke leaked. I have tried replenishing the blinker fluid on occasion, but sometimes that results in a sudden release of all the magic smoke.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:04 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Careful what you wish for. You take away a person’s legal right to drive and you may be sentencing him/her to death. In a community where there is little public transportation it can be a real issue. Its a mighty slippery slope.

Tags
drive, age, driving, ability, safely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.