Whoa - you can do that?

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Default Whoa - you can do that?

"I had an equally funny experience at Colony Publix. I was in the bakery and I walked up with a 6 pack of hamburger buns and ask the lady behind the counter to just give me 2 from the package.... "

I didn't want to hijack the Nasty Seniors thread, but this totally sidetracked my line of thinking. What??? It never occurred to me that you could ask to have bakery items repackaged. I just keep them in the freezer until we use them or they dry out. Do other people do this? How about the shrink wrapped veggie packages? Would they do that too?
My goodness - what else am I missing?
Old 02-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorage View Post
"I had an equally funny experience at Colony Publix. I was in the bakery and I walked up with a 6 pack of hamburger buns and ask the lady behind the counter to just give me 2 from the package.... "

I didn't want to hijack the Nasty Seniors thread, but this totally sidetracked my line of thinking. What??? It never occurred to me that you could ask to have bakery items repackaged. I just keep them in the freezer until we use them or they dry out. Do other people do this? How about the shrink wrapped veggie packages? Would they do that too?
I really thought in my life's experiences I had heard everything, until now. Wow........
Old 02-21-2015, 12:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorage View Post

I took a huge package of ribs (3 racks) up to the meat counter and asked the to split it and give me half and they did. I don't know about bakery items though.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Sage

One of the things we enjoyed on our last trip to Scotland was that Tesco and Marks and Spencer carried products containing one or two servings. Entrees, sides, salads, and desserts either ready to eat or to be prepared at home were available. Perhaps this is because the typical fridge is much smaller than in the US.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:40 PM

Ive asked for a cake to be cut in half, no problem.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Eternal Member

I do it all the time. When I am looking for hoagie rolls or Kaiser rolls and they do not have any of the type I want in the bins, I ask them for two out of the six packs they have sitting there. I also ask for four hot dog buns.

If you want four Yukon potatoes they will break open a five lb bag and give them to you. Although, I have never understood why they don't have a bunch of them loose in a bin.

If you want a roast but it is too big, you can ask them to cut it in half.

At Easter, we buy an eight lb ham and have then cut 3-4 3/4 inch slices off of the end for other meals.

All you have to do is ask.

I never thought it was a problem.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I've asked for just a scoop of ice cream out of the carton.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I've asked for just a scoop of ice cream out of the carton.
They don't seem to mind the one scoop of ice-cream -- it's the chocolate syrup that's a problem
Old 02-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

At the former Sweet bay in LSL, I asked at the bakery for two kaiser rolls. The man came out from behind the counter, took a package of rolls from the shelf, took two out of a full package and wrapped them for me. I had never seen that before, and I was impressed...so yes, they do that.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Sage

Publix will always go above and beyond - the employees are great 'cause they have a stake in the business.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

Some with veggies. I wanted only 2 yellow squash and she said open the package and take the two and leave the rest there. Now that's what I call service. I have done the same thing at the bakery about the buns.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
If you want a roast but it is too big, you can ask them to cut it in half.

All you have to do is ask.

I never thought it was a problem.

Z
The largest cuts of meat are less expensive than the smaller cuts. They have pork shoulder on sale for 1.99 lb. Maybe it's 8 lbs?
Are you saying that I can ask a butcher in Winn Dixie to cut one in half for me and just buy a half for a 1.99 a lb?
That sounds great to me but it also doesn't sound reasonable so it wouldn't occur to me to ask.

Then again, 6 guys ordering food and asking for separate checks up north wouldn't fly either.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
The largest cuts of meat are less expensive than the smaller cuts. They have pork shoulder on sale for 1.99 lb. Maybe it's 8 lbs?
Are you saying that I can ask a butcher in Winn Dixie to cut one in half for me and just buy a half for a 1.99 a lb?
That sounds great to me but it also doesn't sound reasonable so it wouldn't occur to me to ask.

Then again, 6 guys ordering food and asking for separate checks up north wouldn't fly either.
It does not hurt to ask.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:06 PM
Gold member

I'm sorry, but all of this sounds like just plain, ordinary cheapskate stuff to me.

Why not just put the extra buns into the freezer??

Do you take a box of ice cream bars to the counter and have them take out 2 of those, too??

I can see splitting up a big cut of beef, or pack of ribs or steaks, because that is expensive. But BUNS?? C'mon…..it's about $3.00 for heaven's sake!!
Old 02-21-2015, 06:04 PM

Can I ask for only the dark meat from a chicken?

Or how about if I only want the Ike's from a box of Ike & Mike candy?

Only the strawberry and chocolate from Neapolitan ice cream?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.