Whoa - you can do that?

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2015, 06:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
I'm sorry, but all of this sounds like just plain, ordinary cheapskate stuff to me.

Why not just put the extra buns into the freezer??

Do you take a box of ice cream bars to the counter and have them take out 2 of those, too??

I can see splitting up a big cut of beef, or pack of ribs or steaks, because that is expensive. But BUNS?? C'mon…..it's about $3.00 for heaven's sake!!
Not cheapskate at all. Less wasteful. Sure you can put extra rolls in the freezer. But that doesn't work for green beans, or zucchini. Sad to see them go bad in the fridge unless you desire to have them every day until they're gone. Think of the singles here trying to prepare varied meals. Since the stores don't mind and are willing to do it, what difference does it make?
Old 02-21-2015, 06:37 PM

Seen some unbelievable "hands on" stuff in Publix. I would almost be funny if it wasn't so pathetically, well, you know. Seems to happen every winter. Must be the cooler weather. Seems to always get better around late April.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:48 PM
Sage

They, Publix, have signs up to the effect that "We gladly break packages."
Old 02-21-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I've asked for just a scoop of ice cream out of the carton.
That's good
Old 02-21-2015, 11:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I do it all the time. When I am looking for hoagie rolls or Kaiser rolls and they do not have any of the type I want in the bins, I ask them for two out of the six packs they have sitting there. I also ask for four hot dog buns.

If you want four Yukon potatoes they will break open a five lb bag and give them to you. Although, I have never understood why they don't have a bunch of them loose in a bin.

If you want a roast but it is too big, you can ask them to cut it in half.

At Easter, we buy an eight lb ham and have then cut 3-4 3/4 inch slices off of the end for other meals. Z
It would never have occured to me to ask for smaller portions of meat or potatoes or anything.
I'm always learning new stuff on TOTV.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I really thought in my life's experiences I had heard everything, until now. Wow........
They will do it for sure with buns and such and they will split a loaf of bread but I have never asked for them to split a coffee cake. In the produce department they will take a shrink wrapped package apart. I asked in the meat department if they would cut a Boston butt in half and sell it to me.....they did. Our grocery store at home did it and when we came here 8 years ago I asked at Publix and they said "sure!" Costs nothing to ask and the worst they can say is "no".
Old 02-22-2015, 12:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
I'm sorry, but all of this sounds like just plain, ordinary cheapskate stuff to me.

Why not just put the extra buns into the freezer??

Do you take a box of ice cream bars to the counter and have them take out 2 of those, too??

I can see splitting up a big cut of beef, or pack of ribs or steaks, because that is expensive. But BUNS?? C'mon…..it's about $3.00 for heaven's sake!!
Cheapskate?! Never. I was tired of a freezer full of breads and buns that weren't fresh, had freezer burn and taking up space for more important things like meat and ice cream. When we have burgers we make two so I buy 2 buns. The next time I make burgers 6 or 8 weeks later, I buy another 2 buns.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
They will do it for sure with buns and such and they will split a loaf of bread but I have never asked for them to split a coffee cake. In the produce department they will take a shrink wrapped package apart. I asked in the meat department if they would cut a Boston butt in half and sell it to me.....they did. Our grocery store at home did it and when we came here 8 years ago I asked at Publix and they said "sure!" Costs nothing to ask and the worst they can say is "no".
If Publix splits a loaf of bread for you, what do they do with the remainder of the loaf?
If they remove four potatoes from a five-pound bag of potatoes, what do they do with the rest of the potatoes?
Old 02-22-2015, 02:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Not cheapskate at all. Less wasteful. Sure you can put extra rolls in the freezer. But that doesn't work for green beans, or zucchini. Sad to see them go bad in the fridge unless you desire to have them every day until they're gone. Think of the singles here trying to prepare varied meals. Since the stores don't mind and are willing to do it, what difference does it make?
It doesn't work all that well for buns or bread either. Frozen bread just doesn't taste as good.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
If Publix splits a loaf of bread for you, what do they do with the remainder of the loaf?
If they remove four potatoes from a five-pound bag of potatoes, what do they do with the rest of the potatoes?
My guess is they make potato salad???
Old 02-22-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I buy it! if I see a half loaf of the Five Grain Italian bread I buy it! I love fresh bread and since I am at Publix two times a week, why not pick up fresh bread. It never occurred to me to ask them to split a loaf. I thought they just split them because it is the Villages and most households have 1 or 2 people not 5 or 6 anymore. Makes sence to me!
Old 02-22-2015, 08:16 AM

I never thought of this. I usually put the extra buns in the freezer and when I have enough, I would take them to SS area and feed the birds by the pond. (until I saw the "do not feed the birds" sign.)
Old 02-22-2015, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am just surprised that someone would ask and that someone would do it. Makes Publix even higher on my admiration list.

But...I am pretty sure that the potato salad is made at a central location.

Speaking of potato salad? I am very picky and I love the New York style potato salad from Publix...yum. But I am the only one who likes it in my house.

I am too old to ask them to give me a bite.

You are never too old to learn about new things. How do you spell Hootspuh?

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-22-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

I mentioned that I was not going to buy a whole watermelon because it is sometimes not good. He said he would cut one in half and give me a taste and I could decide if I wanted it.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 02-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am just surprised that someone would ask and that someone would do it. Makes Publix even higher on my admiration list.

But...I am pretty sure that the potato salad is made at a central location.

Speaking of potato salad? I am very picky and I love the New York style potato salad from Publix...yum. But I am the only one who likes it in my house.

I am too old to ask them to give me a bite.

You are never too old to learn about new things. How do you spell Hootspuh?
Chutzpah?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.