Why bash Comcast for today's outage?

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2019, 07:57 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Comcast probably has redundacy in many aspects of their network, but 100% redundacy is not practical and cost prohibitive.
So true. Those costs would have to be passed on to their consumers, as well. There are already plenty of complaints about Comcast costs. Can you imagine what it would be if Comcast did that?
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 06-19-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
So true. Those costs would have to be passed on to their consumers, as well. There are already plenty of complaints about Comcast costs. Can you imagine what it would be if Comcast did that?
So true
Old 06-19-2019, 08:54 AM
Platinum member

Because everybody has to bash somebody. It's become the American way. We are compelled to point a finger of blame to prove to ourselves how much smarter we are than everyone else.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Yep. Some folks want a Cadillac but only want to pay for a Chevy.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 AM
Veteran member

Why? Because it was a horrible experience. We actually had to go outside and talk to people. It was scary.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
my husband has been a contractor for over 40 years and CBYD is a joke sometimes. The cables are missed by CBYD and the as built s are poor at best.
I would not want to be SECO right now, if they cut a main fiber cable the cost will be in the 10's of thousand of dollars to repair it. The old saying goes Chit happens.
what did we do before the internet. I Had an air antenna in my attic and never missed a bit of TV. LOL
And “WE” are a SECO customer so guess who ultimately is on the hook for the expense? “We”
Old 06-19-2019, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I am sorry but that is funny. The only backup plan would be a DVR.
Here is the really BAD news, a Comcast/xfinity DVR is USELESS without a connection to their servers. Yes, the recorded shows on your DVR cannot be accessed without an Internet connection, UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Old 06-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Why? Because it was a horrible experience. We actually had to go outside and talk to people. It was scary.
Go to Morgan and Morgan You have a case!
Old 06-19-2019, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,413 Times in 5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Here is the really BAD news, a Comcast/xfinity DVR is USELESS without a connection to their servers. Yes, the recorded shows on your DVR cannot be accessed without an Internet connection, UNBELIEVABLE!!!
That's true. But, if you knew about the outage in advance, you can download your recorded shows onto a tablet or computer and watch them offline.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:39 PM

6 months before I retired we had a blizzard that dropped over 33 inchs of wet heavy snow in Connecticut . destroyed the overhead interstructure through out Connecticut .I had no power for 9 days ,I was putting in 20 hour days setting poles though out the state working with CL&P and every other line crews from around the country and you had no internet for how long. go 9 days no power . things happen I'm quite sure Comcast was looking to restore it as quick as possible. Comcast and there crews were working as fast as they could.. do there job and see what it takes..
Old 06-19-2019, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIMAN View Post
6 months before I retired we had a blizzard that dropped over 33 inchs of wet heavy snow in Connecticut . destroyed the overhead interstructure through out Connecticut .I had no power for 9 days ,I was putting in 20 hour days setting poles though out the state working with CL&P and every other line crews from around the country and you had no internet for how long. go 9 days no power . things happen I'm quite sure Comcast was looking to restore it as quick as possible. Comcast and there crews were working as fast as they could.. do there job and see what it takes..
A good perspective.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Comcast has been advertising a business internet service that automatically switches to a cellular based service when their cable service goes down. I don't know the cost, but it seems to me that they may at least be able to provide a temporary internet service that you could combine with streaming during a cable outage.
If the first part of your statement is true, then the second part of the statement is resolved by subscribing to the first part of the statement.

If "the set of people/companies that pay extra for the service" are able to have a particular service, and "the set of people/companies that do NOT pay extra for the service" don't get to have that service, why would anyone expect Comcast to just give that service away to "the set of people/companies that do NOT pay extra for the service?"

It would be something you'd have to pay extra for. I'm guessing it would be a LOT more expensive than just the typical low-end basic or premier cable service y'all are paying for now. If you don't want to pay extra for the switch option, then you can't have the switch option.

I'm not seeing the problem here.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIMAN View Post
Your crews did an AMAZING job. Our block was up after just 3 days - which is how long it took us to shovel and plow ourselves out of our driveway. No heat, no hot water after the 2nd day, but our landline phone worked fine! Thank god we had a real actual fireplace (not one of those electric things). CL&P was always so much better at emergency handling than UI. THANK YOU for your tireless service!
Old 06-19-2019, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,413 Times in 5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
If the first part of your statement is true, then the second part of the statement is resolved by subscribing to the first part of the statement.

If "the set of people/companies that pay extra for the service" are able to have a particular service, and "the set of people/companies that do NOT pay extra for the service" don't get to have that service, why would anyone expect Comcast to just give that service away to "the set of people/companies that do NOT pay extra for the service?"

It would be something you'd have to pay extra for. I'm guessing it would be a LOT more expensive than just the typical low-end basic or premier cable service y'all are paying for now. If you don't want to pay extra for the switch option, then you can't have the switch option.

I'm not seeing the problem here.
I'm not trying to bash Comcast. But, the quality of the service is always going to be relative to the cost and what the customers are willing to pay for. Comcast used to require you to stay home all day waiting for a repair guy. People didn't like it, so now they provide a 2 hour service window. Much better, and they don't charge extra.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Cut it out. Everyone who works, works hard. People are at risk with no Internet Service and Wi-Fi for Their Cell Phones & Home Phones. Accepting anything other than perfection from a COMMUNICATION COMPANY WHO CAN'T COMMUNICATE IS HORRENDOUS. Especially a company of their Magnitude. It's just terrible that there was no other way to make people whole immediately.

Don't tell me about the money tell me about THE SERVICE. I'll bet you people who could call Lit Up The Spectrum Telephone Lines Today.

They didn't create the problem but like when a light flickers in your house when something goes wrong it reroutes the service to you another way. It should be the same with Comcast.

Seco, a mistake? Bull! Digging without approval? Or an approval without an inspector or rushing is outta line. I hope they get fined up the Ying-Yang! That'll Learn 'Em! A $$ Whopper $$ outta their bottom line that comes from the Executives Bonuses and doesn't get passed on to anyone living here. WAKE UP! We are the customers and should accept NOTHING but Perfection.
Closed Thread

Tags
comcast, seco, outage, todays, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.