Why cant we all play nice?

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2019, 09:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Most people would never try to harm another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I totally, but respectfully, disagree with your comment...
You disagree that MOST people people would never try to harm another?!?

So you actually believe MOST people WOULD try to harm another?!?

Wow.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
You disagree that MOST people people would never try to harm another?!?

So you actually believe MOST people WOULD try to harm another?!?

Wow.
I do. I don't necessarily mean by actually doing another bodily harm, but if you look at the times that you see and hear about people pushing people aside to get where they want to go without thought for others, verbal abuse, spousal abuse, threatening, road rage, and the list goes on. I think we are becoming more and more uncivilized in general ways.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-16-2019, 11:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
I do. I don't necessarily mean by actually doing another bodily harm, but if you look at the times that you see and hear about people pushing people aside to get where they want to go without thought for others, verbal abuse, spousal abuse, threatening, road rage, and the list goes on. I think we are becoming more and more uncivilized in general ways.
I disagree but then I’m not from Florida or the coasts and I can understand different perspectives. I firmly believe in the adage of being the change you want to see.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
I do...people pushing people aside to get where they want to go without thought for others, verbal abuse, spousal abuse, threatening, road rage, and the list goes on...I think we are becoming more and more uncivilized...
But "most people"?!?

I'm glad I don't live in your world.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
But "most people"?!?

I'm glad I don't live in your world.
For anyone interested in the real world....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...life-violence/

The connection between online hate speech and real-world hate crime | OUPblog
Old 12-16-2019, 12:45 PM
Platinum member

Isn’t insisting everyone be in march step with one’s opinion part of the problem? We all live “in the real world”, but we don’t all live on the same block or community. Intolerance is the largest issue in the world.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:55 PM
Sage

I know the world isn’t perfect. But I’m not sure how those links defend the claim that _most_ people are nasty.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
of understanding "human" no? Have you even bothered to understand why we are the way we are? No? Not surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Either this is sarcasm or it's a great example of the topic of this thread. (or am I missing something?)
Northwoods, I agree, and I don't think you're missing anything.
I think it's sarcasm, not sure though.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I agree with you on intolerance. Defined as 'unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own."

I accept that, and where I get into trouble is insisting that the views I am expected to accept are actually true.

Not accepting what is being said is not always intolerant, but respecting truth, and by truth I mean facts that can be measured and stand up for inspection.

That stands for dog poop, hate crimes gun control, or gold course fees.
And that is where intolerance steps in, cherry picking the truths that some wave as flags and ignoring the other truths that may not enhance their agenda. May we all have open minds and not just to facts that are snippets of the truth. Then you have tolerance.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

And yet our diverse opinions is what make us so interesting. What a boring world it would be if everyone always agreed with me. Like robots. It is not the disagreements that are the problem, in my opinion, it is how they are said. For example, as when a mother sweetly calls to her child, “Come here.” Or ragingly demands, “Come here!”
Old 12-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
And that is where intolerance steps in, cherry picking the truths that some wave as flags and ignoring the other truths that may not enhance their agenda. May we all have open minds and not just to facts that are snippets of the truth. Then you have tolerance.
Fact are facts.

When I ask for links...I am not being a wise guy....just saying....on what do you base what you are saying ?

It is impossible to discuss any subject with one party not dealing with facts.

But we are straying from the scope of this thread.....we cannot place nice for a number of reasons...

1. As admirably said by folks better with words than I......THAT is how the world is and has become. Anger, hate shown in physical and verbal ways DAILY, not sometimes but always.

2. My opinion, not anyone else I suppose.....is on some subjects, you need to deal with facts. I have learned over the years that you CAN verify facts. You also can be confronted with things that are simply not provable and you must use common sense and logic.

Today, it is easier in that video and archives of information is readibly available.

On local issues, like those I mentioned......and hate to go back in time, but used to be that threads on those issues would run their course quickly if all stayed on the topic. They are not complicated as it is expected that you will read opinion on here based on known facts. That kind of discussion should not cause problems.

Problem, in my opinion, is we label everyone as WE see them, not based on an opinion on the topic being discussed. I suppose that is LISTENING (reading in this case) that is not done much......either shut it down depending on the poster and his/her rep, or change the subject or topic.

When I worked in WashDC, I had many discussions with folks that knew I disagreed with on many subjects and many times found myself agreeing after discussion. Certainly not as often as those with whom I had a basic agreement but it did happen as a result of listening, respecting and acknowledging. I can recall a few instances of shaking hands and rushing back to my desk to validate what he/she said (well before internet) because i agreed with him or her. Once validated, respect on both sides just grew.

Simple but today not so much.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Fact are facts.

When I ask for links...I am not being a wise guy....just saying....on what do you base what you are saying ?

It is impossible to discuss any subject with one party not dealing with facts.

But we are straying from the scope of this thread.....we cannot place nice for a number of reasons...

1. As admirably said by folks better with words than I......THAT is how the world is and has become. Anger, hate shown in physical and verbal ways DAILY, not sometimes but always.

2. My opinion, not anyone else I suppose.....is on some subjects, you need to deal with facts. I have learned over the years that you CAN verify facts. You also can be confronted with things that are simply not provable and you must use common sense and logic.

Today, it is easier in that video and archives of information is readibly available.

On local issues, like those I mentioned......and hate to go back in time, but used to be that threads on those issues would run their course quickly if all stayed on the topic. They are not complicated as it is expected that you will read opinion on here based on known facts. That kind of discussion should not cause problems.

Problem, in my opinion, is we label everyone as WE see them, not based on an opinion on the topic being discussed. I suppose that is LISTENING (reading in this case) that is not done much......either shut it down depending on the poster and his/her rep, or change the subject or topic.

When I worked in WashDC, I had many discussions with folks that knew I disagreed with on many subjects and many times found myself agreeing after discussion. Certainly not as often as those with whom I had a basic agreement but it did happen as a result of listening, respecting and acknowledging. I can recall a few instances of shaking hands and rushing back to my desk to validate what he/she said (well before internet) because i agreed with him or her. Once validated, respect on both sides just grew.

Simple but today not so much.
It depends on the personality and projection. There are so many people on this forum with which I would enjoy a conversation and exchange of ideaologies. But then, I wouldn’t take every conversation to the computer for verification. For me life is too short. I enjoy TOTV and most of the conversations through the years. I do miss Muncle, Fumar and others who have passed on that were mentioned previously on TOTV. They were good people and there are plenty here now.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Yes, Bucco, in my native language we have a saying, “priests are life long learners” translated it means there is no time when we know everything. The younger age we close off ourselves to new learning, to new view points, the smaller people we become.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, Bucco, in my native language we have a saying, “priests are life long learners” translated it means there is no time when we know everything. The younger age we close off ourselves to new learning, to new view points, the smaller people we become.
I was lucky. Trained well to validate what I was told......cannot in todays age even imagine, where lying has become "accepted" in some circles, doing that.

That did not mean we spent our times checking and double checking (we did on vital issues) but TRUST became an ASSET.....knowing the liars had value as well.

Times are different but what has not changed is truth will always win out and blind believing is simply enabling a liar (PLEASE...not being political).

Because of all of that, I enjoy new ideas, new ways to do things or describe things. I am mocked on here because of my adherence or requesting facts and links to show your backup. Still think it is an asset and not a liability no matter how "they" wish to construe it.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
There is definitely a clique on TOTV where friends support each other’s posts and lambaste those who disagree with them. So the discussions have limited value when you have a bunch of people ganging up on others to push their own agenda.
Would one have us on TOTV believe that you, Bucco and Velvet are a clique? You all have the same philosophy, it appears, and you vigorously defend your positions so you must be “a clique”. That always amuses me when that assertion is made as if there are bands of posters working as cliques. I can’t speak for others but I don’t PM people on here and only know who a few are because they posted their names. I don’t socialize with them either. And now it appears you are “ganging up on others to push your agenda”. Intolerance leads to nastiness. Relax and lose the paranoia, life is good. Actually, I and a host of other seniors must be in Velvet’s clique because we have seen much, are continually learning and very open minded which some are missing.
Closed Thread

Tags
rude, respond, people, plain, nice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.