Why cant we all play nice?

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2019, 01:05 PM
Sage

I'm on the "net" a fair amount...maybe too much some days. I've noticed the snarkiness of "some"....generally it's always the same people. This site is tame compared to others I've belonged to. It's amazing how more than rude people can be when they hide behind a screen. Out and about, every once in a while one can observe some very rude people. I was raised to be polite and the "Golden Rule" was emphasized. Sad to say I'm not always using those but keep in mind for others---they may have not been taught the social mores that a bit of "sugar" goes a long way over "vinegar". What I've really noticed is that "some" people feel the need to comment whether or not it applies well to the subject or not....or a question is given and an correct answer is not---only a string of "something else's" spew forth. I've belonged to this site about 10 yrs and the kindness of posts have ebbed and flowed.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have a good memory for an old person who has many other things going out on me. I remember when Vintageogauge first started to post because I thought and was right that he collected model train memorabilia. As time went on I really found myself enjoying his posts and we even tried once to meet the two of them at Fenney Grill but couldn't find a right day. He only has had one problem he as posted about on this Forum in all of the time I have read his posts and in all of his posts he has been even tempered and fair and I am sure he has made many friends among the folks who live close to them both in Fenney.

You know, you can just tell when someone has a good heart.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
They are emboldened by being unanimous and hiding behind their keyi board.....a false/phony bravado that is non existent face to face!!!

Example..... Face Book
Old 12-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Interesting to watch the thank you feature if you know the personalities here.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	thank you.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	82205  
Old 12-12-2019, 01:47 PM
Sage

Amazing how some can use nasty and mean terms and then hide behind the fact that they speak in generalities and don't direct the attacks at specific posters.

(Hey...pretty good tool. )
Old 12-12-2019, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Interesting to watch the thank you feature if you know the personalities here.
It is truely amazing how so many folks can agree on every issue posted with each other and not even read those who differ. Thank you is given by WHO you are and not what you said, but that is fine...it must be important to some.

I do not see folks on here as mean, but so many know so much about everything and are willing to share while correcting others bad "thinking". Never saw so many folks speaking on behalf of older seniors and not sure where they get that information because I find myself agreeing with everyone and their right to an opinion.

Only time I get a bit "ornery" is when I am TOLD how I should feel or when people simply refer to or just post things that are flat out not true.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:28 PM

The Villages is a great place but there is an ever increasing number of folks here with the constant growth and with larger numbers of people you're going to get more diversity of thought and opinion which is not all bad. Unfortunately, with more people you're also going to get more folks who may not play by the "rules" when it comes to expressing their thoughts and opinions. Compounding this, it's very hard to gauge intent on forums, just like with e-mail. Some folks probably do mean to be snarky but I suspect most just don't fully appreciate how their comments are perceived. We're all getting older and our social skills are less developed compared to what they once were and for most of us are probably deteriorating just a wee bit more with each passing day.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Sage

The elves will report you right to Santa if you say bad words Gracie.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,949 Times in 1,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The elves will report you right to Santa if you say bad words Gracie.
LOL, agreed.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

I had gone to see The Peanut Butter Falcon back on a Tuesday after it had just opened at the Rialto and while purchasing a medium drink medium popcorn and hot dog had noticed the woman behind me pointing her index finger to her temple like her pointing a gun. I looked away and she made a noose like figure with her hands and acted like she was being hung. I was livid but said NOTHING and went to see the movie. Which I lost myself in and it sounded like she had been kicked out of the theater for this garbage and I had heard some of the women she was with talking about it happening. They sat a few rows in front of me.

They did look like Villagers. Of the younger set. The movie theater people might have seen these antics. Someone did complain about them but I did not as I am not very confrontational in person and I was extremely upset by this behavior.

So there are rather rotten people in the Villages but I find them to be few and far between. And it seemed to be motivated by the time and place as well as my own opinions. This was on October 1, 2019 in Spanish Springs.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 12-13-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,949 Times in 1,705 Posts

Diversity, with regards to good manners and good will, here at the forum is similar to the real world. At least where I live. You get all types of people: the narcissist, the benevolent, the grumpy, the confrontational, the wise, the helpful, the funny, and the nutty. I just sort them into their various types as I get to read more of their posts. People tend to be pretty consistent. I enjoy the good and ignore the bad. In the end they each get their comeuppance.

Last edited by Velvet; 12-12-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:12 PM
Veteran member

Amen!
Old 12-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Amen!
and Hallelujah.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenneyFanatic View Post
There are many wonderful people in the Villages! I hope folks understand that much of the negativity comes from trolls from outside the community. There is too much hostility and jealousy in the world.
This happens a lot on forums
Old 12-12-2019, 05:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Diversity, with regards to good manners and good will, here at the forum is similar to the real world. At least where I live. You get all types of people: the narcissist, the benevolent, the grumpy, the confrontational, the wise, the helpful, the funny, and the nutty. I just sort them into their various types as I get to read more of their posts. People tend to be pretty consistent. I enjoy the good and ignore the bad. In the end they each get their comeuppance.
Just read this today. The author theorizes that we are 11 nations with their own cultures. I can only speak to deep South, and the article pretty much hits the nail on the head.

The 11 nations of the United States and their cultures - Business Insider

Tags
rude, respond, people, plain, nice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.