Why cant we all play nice?

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
2% of any group try to ruin it for the rest. Just stay positive and ignore the noise.

Usually all "you" hear about is the top 2%, this is the bottom 2%.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcapaul View Post
This happens a lot on forums
Old 12-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I'm on the "net" a fair amount...maybe too much some days. I've noticed the snarkiness of "some"....generally it's always the same people. This site is tame compared to others I've belonged to. It's amazing how more than rude people can be when they hide behind a screen. Out and about, every once in a while one can observe some very rude people. I was raised to be polite and the "Golden Rule" was emphasized. Sad to say I'm not always using those but keep in mind for others---they may have not been taught the social mores that a bit of "sugar" goes a long way over "vinegar". What I've really noticed is that "some" people feel the need to comment whether or not it applies well to the subject or not....or a question is given and an correct answer is not---only a string of "something else's" spew forth. I've belonged to this site about 10 yrs and the kindness of posts have ebbed and flowed.
I agree, I think sometimes when you give your opinion about something, there’s some people that aren’t going to let you be right & can get a little mean about it when they tell you that they know more about the subject. Where I live now, it’s not a retirement community but a very nice place to live, other than this one time comment. The first thing I was told by my granddaughter was, watch what you post. Apparently a couple of people didn’t like my comment & I was called a Ahole & a P_ _ _k. They could of made their point without saying what they learned when living at home.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I felt that when I started posting on this site, but found quickly that if you are harassed, the monitors will step in an correct the situation. Don’t get trolled in and I witness that after 10 years here, only a very small group will give you a hard time. Ignore them and you will enjoy this site and I promise, you will love The Villages.
And some grow softer and kinder as the good stuff that happens here changes them into better people.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:12 PM

I totally agree with both the positives and negatives. If someone was hateful in their previous location ... people change addresses ... they don't change personalities. I'm from NYC ... Wall Street ... some attitudes extend past the job and life experiences. My positive contribution ... my husband and I can't imagine living anywhere else. We've slowed down and taken the time to enjoy the clubs and various activities. BTW ... try the Next Door Neighbor site. TMI and OMG! LOL!
Old 12-15-2019, 09:35 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Not a big fan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
I often am amazed at how rude responses can be on this forum. Uncalled for and just plain mean. Cant people respond in a nice manner, even if they disagree? Why all the animosity? I'm not talking politics or anything like that, but sometimes the post is totally innocent a d people respond like the OP has no brain. It's just plain mean and rude.
of understanding "human" no? Have you even bothered to understand why we are the way we are? No? Not surprised.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:15 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
of understanding "human" no? Have you even bothered to understand why we are the way we are? No? Not surprised.
Either this is sarcasm or it's a great example of the topic of this thread. (or am I missing something?)
Old 12-15-2019, 10:25 PM
Gold member

I have read through some of the responses to this thread. The funny thing is that many of the people who actually are the meanest on this forum, don't even recognize they are he people the OP are talking about. I have been a victim of their comments whenever you might say something negative or realistic about what is going on here. Look at yourself in the mirror.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:27 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
I have read through some of the responses to this thread. The funny thing is that many of the people who actually are the meanest on this forum, don't even recognize they are he people the OP are talking about. I have been a victim of their comments whenever you might say something negative or realistic about what is going on here. Look at yourself in the mirror.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
My very personal feeling is that it is built into us to fight before we flee. If humans were able to politely disagree in a rational manner there would be no need for war. My Father used to say put all the warmongers from both sides in a room and let them fight it out, instead of sending other peoples' children to fight their battles for them. Maybe we need a chat line where posters can throw insults at each other and get it out of their system.

Rudeness, throwing a finger, yelling obscenities and actually raising a fist to someone who does something that WE think is against us personally is, unfortunately, becoming the way most of the human race reacts, and it would appear that many people think there is nothing wrong with that reaction..
Most people would never try to harm another.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-15-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
(snipped) Maybe we need a chat line where posters can throw insults at each other and get it out of their system.
That was called the political forum...
Old 12-16-2019, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Most people would never try to harm another.
I totally, but respectfully, disagree with your comment. I think the time we are living in is driving more and more violence, both verbally and physically.

There is the difference, I acknowledge your right to disagree with my comment and I do so RESPECTFULLY and have not chosen to answer it in a negative way which, unfortunately, many posters here would do.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-16-2019, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Either this is sarcasm or it's a great example of the topic of this thread. (or am I missing something?)
I think it is sarcasm

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-16-2019, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Amazing how some can use nasty and mean terms and then hide behind the fact that they speak in generalities and don't direct the attacks at specific posters.

(Hey...pretty good tool. )
Yes, or they can be folksy and kind to some people, and snarky with others. People do notice.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:34 AM

It's the same problem that plagues all social media sites; FB, twidder, instagrom, etc. That is, people will say (write) comments that they would never do face-to-face.
Closed Thread

Tags
rude, respond, people, plain, nice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.