Why did you move WITHIN The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2021, 08:22 AM

We bought a small house when we were snowbirds and a Lily when we came full time. Our house is just right and we feel we can stay here unless we get ill. Also, after the first house we learned you don't need a huge yard!
Old 08-01-2021, 08:31 AM
Default I Will Never Move Agaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
We are here 9 years and are in our original home. I did not want to have to move again. I knew I wanted a Gardenia that was stretched, an existing or room to build a pool, no columns, no kissing lanai and minimal carpeting. Found the exact house I wanted on the first day of looking! We have no intention of moving.
I was fortunate enough to find a corner lot with no one behind and neighbors to die for. I have invested thousands in upgrades and am convenient to everything I like to do. My next move will be in a pine box to the crematory. My move from up north was a nightmare and I still have flashbacks!
Old 08-01-2021, 09:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patents111 View Post
Hi, many of you have moved from one Villages house to another Villages house. As I look to buy here, at my age I’m hoping to make my first house purchase my last to avoid moving again. It would be very useful for me to hear your motivation for moving from one TV house to another. Your experiences will give me a keener eye to make a wiser first selection. Many thanks.
You don't mention this as an option, but I was very grateful to rent and test a couple places before knowing where I wanted my forever home to be. Being away from noise like trains, pickleball and music if that's an issue for you, being nearer to fave rec center/activities, the kind of view and lot/house size might all be contributing factors to make sure you're happy long term. All the best to you!
Old 08-01-2021, 11:22 AM

Was sure this is the community we wanted to retire to after the first visit to my cousin's TV home! Had a 2400 sq ft home on 1+ acres in CT prior to buying a 1500 sq ft CYV on a "postage stamp" in 2010. We're more in love with our location (Belle Aire Village) than we were when we bought it. We are close to shopping to our north, east & south. The CYV has perfect privacy for our needs. The size is fine for just the 2 of us. Two of our age 55+ children have moved here in recent years. We have no grass to mow (and no lawn care people showing up in our backyard at unannounced times)! We can stroll around in our what-evers whenever we want. Our fur babies can go out in the courtyard safely. The ONLY reason either one of us would ever move is if one of us died and the other couldn't afford the costs of the home by themselves.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:37 AM
Smile

Quote:
Hi, many of you have moved from one Villages house to another Villages house. As I look to buy here, at my age I’m hoping to make my first house purchase my last to avoid moving again. It would be very useful for me to hear your motivation for moving from one TV house to another. Your experiences will give me a keener eye to make a wiser first selection. Many thanks.
I have been here since 2005. I live in the same house since 2005. I live in a good neighborhood with the best neighbors who welcome all new residents. I wouldn't move from here for nothing. The people that move either down size or up size homes, or change neighbors.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:37 AM

Did a lot of looking at floor plans before we decided to build. Waited for a golf course lot with a water view, we lived on a lake up north so wanted to look out at water. Took 2 years to get the lot we wanted, by then we knew exactly what model and what changes to it to make. Downsized from 4,000 sq ft to 1700 sq ft 3 bedroom. Perfect house, perfect view, perfect location, good neighborhood. Been here over 15 years, still love it all. Neighbors come and go, location, view and model you live in doesn't change, go for that, not neighbors and you'll be happy. Don't worry about yard work either, gardeners are cheap here. We love the yard, did have it professionally landscaped after moving in. Remember, remodeling is much cheaper than moving. You'll love it here, we do. Welcome.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:41 PM
Sage

I am a one and done type guy! Moved to TV eight years ago and still in the same home!

1. I would make a list of "must haves" and "would like to have" in the home you would like to purchase.

2. Leave some money, for upgrades to your liking as no home is going to suit your tastes perfectly.

3. As they say in real estate, location, location and location. Get a map and decide where it might be the best location for you or better yet, visit..

Only you can decide what's best for you.

Me, I guess I lucked out.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-01-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Have lived here 11 years. On house #3 and definitely my last one . Loved first house (a begonia) in buttonwood on corner lot but 4 years later hubby wanted a pool. We’d already enclosed lanai and added lots of trees and plant beds so on to house #2 in Lake Deaton (expanded begonia, a bit different floor plan with pool and large birdcage). Added stand alone jacuzzi and $100k outdoor kitchen. 7 years later the unexpected death of my husband prompted me to buy #3 - returned to buttonwood, smaller home unfortunately not a begonia. So make sure exactly what model you love in an area you like and begin your TV journey.

Last edited by yankygrl; 08-01-2021 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 08-01-2021, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

We're (hopefully) one and done. We spent a lot of time deciding what we wanted in a house. We spent a lot of time researching areas that we would like to live. We hooked up with a sales agent we were very comfortable with. When the right lot came up that met the requirements for the house we wanted to build we jumped on it.

We've been here for three months now and couldn't be happier.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-01-2021, 03:16 PM

We've been in the same home here for 13 years, and don't plan to move as we love our neighbors. In hindsight however, we would have purchased a home with a golf cart garage, a home with an open kitchen, and an east facing lanai. If you buy a west facing lanai, you'll get the blazing afternoon sun which will make the lanai unusable unless you glass in and add some air conditioning.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:38 PM
Platinum member

Bought an Ivy (4/2) and did not want a pool/spa/outdoor kitchen like we had in our Tampa house.

We have a lake view and closed in and air conditioned the lanai.

So happy we downsized and simplified our life while still have the room
for a study/t.v. room, and 2 guest rooms.

This is only our 4th house in 39 years so we get attached to our houses.
Never want to move again.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We bought a Villa and plan on staying in it. We do not want to have to clean more house as we get older. We have been in our northern home for 26 years so no reason to move again in The Villages.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:50 PM

We bought an Anchor in 2012. We like to cook so loved the kitchen. Sold in 2016 for a Laurel Oak, bigger with a much bigger lot with a wall behind. Much greater privacy. Put a pool and hot tub in and never looked back. We love our home and our neighbors. We have friends and family visiting throughout the winter.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:50 PM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default Before you move to the villages do your due diligence.

I have and found a lot of pro's and con's. I don't want to list the con's because they are two numerous to list. All I can say do your home work first then if you like to move than their do so.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:34 PM
Veteran member

We had a place we loved with great neighbors, including the couple in the house behind ours. Unfortunately, she had a major stroke event and died. Six months later, he had died of pancreatic cancer. Then my wife's mother moved in with us to get out of the solitary confinement they were putting everybody in assisted living into. After 10 months, she had a fall that led to a major brain bleed and died. Not long after that, another neighbor died of a long-standing brain issue. We looked around our house and saw just too many places where our friends and family could no longer be. We decided to look around, found a great house with a view out the back yard, some more space and some nice features. We fortunately got it just before housing prices went nuts. We miss our old neighbors but honestly, we were missing them even while still living near them thanks to the isolation that the pandemic brought on. We never expected to move but are now quite happy in the new house.
Closed Thread

Tags
house, villages, make, moving, selection

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.