Why did you move WITHIN The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2021, 12:50 PM
Default Why did you move WITHIN The Villages?

Hi, many of you have moved from one Villages house to another Villages house. As I look to buy here, at my age I’m hoping to make my first house purchase my last to avoid moving again. It would be very useful for me to hear your motivation for moving from one TV house to another. Your experiences will give me a keener eye to make a wiser first selection. Many thanks.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:01 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Some want bigger, Some want smaller, Some want different floor plans, Some cash in on profits, Some like to move, Some are never satisfied, Some want different traffic patterns, Some have spouses who die.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patents111 View Post
Hi, many of you have moved from one Villages house to another Villages house. As I look to buy here, at my age I’m hoping to make my first house purchase my last to avoid moving again. It would be very useful for me to hear your motivation for moving from one TV house to another. Your experiences will give me a keener eye to make a wiser first selection. Many thanks.
I can only speak to our experience, although I think a lot of people want a bigger house or better lot.
In our case, our designer became too big for us when we bought another home elsewhere and became snowbirds. We downsized to a CYV as we do not get a lot of company (kids live out of the country and mostly we see them by traveling with them), so our 3BR Couryard Villa is a great size for us. We also enjoy the positioning of the house better (no roof to look at out the back because it backs up to a street) and the patio, to which we added a remote control awning. And come spring, we can close the whole thing up and leave. There is no grass to worry about maintaining.
I wanted a CYV right off the bat, but my husband thought he needed a bigger garage. He immediately took to the CYV and tells me, "So glad I talked you into this!"
I don't regret starting life in TV in a designer. It was a fantastic house. Just more than we needed.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

'Moved' as in sold a rental which was to be our forever home because we happened to find an eleven month home in a price escalating market

Eleven months is significant because the original purchasers could not sell at a profit within one year (they do get improvements cost). Eighteen months in and we have exceeded 50% appreciation.

It also is larger, has a pool/spa, and water/golf view.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

We had a patio villa while snowbirds and learned 1) our way around TV and 2) if we really liked TV. 1) We did and 2) we do.

When moving here full-time, we carefully looked around and found a 3BR corner stucco CYV that's low maintenance and just room enough. When the kids come down, the 3rd BR helps a lot and when they're not here, it's a cozy study/reading room.

Best wishes.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,515 Posts

Old 07-31-2021, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patents111 View Post
We are here 9 years and are in our original home. I did not want to have to move again. I knew I wanted a Gardenia that was stretched, an existing or room to build a pool, no columns, no kissing lanai and minimal carpeting. Found the exact house I wanted on the first day of looking! We have no intention of moving.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

We went from 3200 sq ft to 2000 moving here and sometimes think we need more room especially if both kids came down at same time.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We had three different homes in mind when we landed in The Villages. Manufactured Home, Patio Villa & CYV. We picked the Manufactured Home because it seemed to be the least risk money-wise if the entire operation wasn't what it appeared to be. We were scheduled to move or at least seriously start looking again just after the beginning of 2021 but I was injured at home and it never happened and now I put the brakes on leaving because I can't stand the thought of departing from our neighborhood.

I am. anti-big house. Not a chance. Our Manufactured Home is too big for us. I really would like a CYV so we could easily handle a substantial size dog as we age. We'll see. If we end up staying where we are that would be fine also. The advantage to moving would be a little bit of peace of mind when the weather radio goes off.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:53 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Move within

Pool, view and golf cart garage made it worthwhile for me to move.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

We thought about moving. When we bought we did not value some things enough, such as; a large lanai, sunset views, sidewalks, distance between houses. But, we also did not expect to have our incredibly helpful and knowledgeable neighbors. Some are just plain fun to be with, others lend a compressor that they just happen to have on hand, when our AC conked out. So it makes it incredibly difficult to move somewhere else.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:58 PM
Gold member

Gypsie spirit, never lived in a house more than five years since day I was born. Love adventure, change, decorating and have a very tolerant husband who puts up with me lol. Never had a house I didn't like. Hubby starts to worry when I get the for sale sign dusted off!
Old 07-31-2021, 03:05 PM
Platinum member

Before moving to TV we had a 2200 sq ft. home with a 600 Sq Ft family/livingroom and moved into a 1700 Sq Ft home and a small(180 sf ft) living room. Bought the smaller home due to location(on a golf course)

Hard to downsize and considering buying a larger home. If you want to NOT move more than once, make sure that you get the right sized home and no home behind you. Even if there is open land behind a new home, you need to make sure that new home/development can not go in later.

You should be OK. This area does not seem to be an area like the ones depicted in TV show Fear thy Neighbor.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:54 PM

Pre-purchase we researched TV for 2 years - did 3 one week lifestyles during different seasons of the year - rented for a year in the bubble - created a checklist of desired items - waited for just the right house - then bought our forever home.

One and done....
Old 07-31-2021, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,461 Times in 3,089 Posts

At some point we'll need a different house. We're in a manufactured home which we love. But it'll need a completely new floor at some point (it's basically just particle board under the carpet in the 2 bedrooms and the planks in the rest of the house. And eventually it'll need a new roof, and the shed doesn't really suit our needs and we'd like to finish it (it's partially insulated on 2 of the 4 walls and half the ceiling, which is a complete waste, so we'll have to take all that old exposed insulation out, and replace the entire shed with new insulation).

But rather than move to a new location, we'll probably just have this house removed and replace it with a "fixed" structure. Or heck - maybe we'll roll in an updated, upgraded, expanded ultra-luxury double-wide with the washer and dryer inside the house, plus a real actual garage. We probably won't leave the property, we love our neighborhood and the location.
Closed Thread

Tags
house, villages, make, moving, selection

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.