Why didn't you retire "in place"?

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2017, 05:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

The state of Massachusetts asked me to leave!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
The state of Massachusetts asked me to leave!

The State of Massachusetts didn't have to ask me. The Blizzard of '78 was all the push I needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-22-2017, 07:48 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
The State of Massachusetts didn't have to ask me. The Blizzard of '78 was all the push I needed.

I didn't move there till 1995 and my wife was born and raised there. Besides the snow, ice, and cold it made best sense to come here and leave taxachusetts.

Last edited by DonH57; 06-22-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I didn't move there till 1995 and my wife was born and raised there. Besides the snow, ice, and snow it made best sense to come here and leave taxachusetts.

[emoji41][emoji106]

Old 06-23-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Just a question for those that have made a permanent move to TV, why didn't you retire in your former location?

I'm more curious as to why you didn't stay as opposed to what attracted you to TV. Perhaps cost of living, weather, etc.

Personally I moved because of the weather. The winters finally beat me down. If it wasn't for the brutal weather up north there is nothing here, either in Florida or TV, that would have made me move south.
We found the Villages more than 26 yrs ago when we were still in our 40's. So impressed by the people & lifestyle, and the weather lanned on move, ASAP ( in fact 10yrs of checking everything ? too good to be true too many "smiley "people ) but bought @ 57 & now 19yrs on still love the people & place , even all the changes! Only downside (as we moved more than 4500 mils from UK) America does not permit us to live here full time, however we continue to enjoy the time we spend here and many times when we are back in UK find ourselves wishing we were back at our "home in the sun"
Old 06-23-2017, 05:38 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default retired in place

Year round sunshine. Plenty of golf. And low taxes.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboza View Post
Only downside (as we moved more than 4500 mils from UK) America does not permit us to live here full time,
Same for Canadians, unfortunately we are only allowed to spend 182 days in a calendar year in our home in The Villages.
However we treasure every day we spend in TV, and always look forward to the winter season.
Yes, I am one of the dreaded seasonal residents.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Same for Canadians, unfortunately we are only allowed to spend 182 days in a calendar year in our home in The Villages.
However we treasure every day we spend in TV, and always look forward to the winter season.
Yes, I am one of the dreaded seasonal residents.
I feel your pain----it must be horrible to be banished to the frozen tundra 183 days a year. (Do you get an extra day here in leap year???) Maybe you could find the satellite camera at Ice Station Zebra. Better yet, maybe you could find THE LOBSTER you owe me
Old 06-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Sage

Here's the short list....the weather, the weather, the weather!!! Add to that NOT enough to do, especially in the winter THEN add taxes to these and that's our reason(s) for coming here!!! Plus the cost of living in FL is cheaper!! Yes, we're full time!!
Old 06-23-2017, 03:00 PM
Sage

I see a hefty " Exit Tax " ahead for those who are pulling up stakes from one of the Northern Heavy-Tax Dependent States .
Old 06-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran member

I liked where we were, but my wife wanted one story house. She wanted warm temps. We don't play Golf, but I like the ethnic and location social clubs. Seh wanted to move here because some old neighbors way back lived here and she wanted to work on Shoebox.

Have our own pool, none nearby. Nice to walk out an into pool, can grill most any day and can eat out with birdcage keeping out the bugs.

A big advantage is no State and County Income Taxes, but Property taxes higher then our two story plus basement in MD. Another bad feature is having to pay water, (well), swer (septic tank) and trash, took ours to the dump or transfer station, so those are added costs.

Like Golf cart transportation though!

I do miss doing my own garden work though.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Just a question for those that have made a permanent move to TV, why didn't you retire in your former location?

I'm more curious as to why you didn't stay as opposed to what attracted you to TV. Perhaps cost of living, weather, etc.

Personally I moved because of the weather. The winters finally beat me down. If it wasn't for the brutal weather up north there is nothing here, either in Florida or TV, that would have made me move south.

If winter weather was the only/main reason you moved to TV, why didn't you just "Stayput & Snowbird"?
Old 06-24-2017, 11:58 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,311 Times in 381 Posts

No reason to keep a house up north when we could snowbird with family. Didnt only move because of the weather but also because there is no reason to pay high taxes to educate the snowflakes anymore.

TV has its benefits but it cant shine a light to the activities, culture, dining and real entertainment you can find in the northern urban areas.
Its nothing more than a clean, well managed city....with lousy pizza and terrible bagels and few people who know what a knish is.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
The Chicago area is alive the end of May until the beginning of September.
The Lakefront, neighborhood festivals, art fairs, the Cubs (and Sox), and the suburbs mirroring the city with a number of events. Never a dull moment....until the end of September. The tables come in and the entertainment stops, and then it's time to enter the winter doldrums.
When working you get through this and hope for an early Spring. There was no way we were going through that period retired.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
We loved Chicago but our reasons for moving are as stated in the partial post above. Plus year round golf!
Old 06-26-2017, 06:41 AM

My wife got tired of shoveling snow!

---She was only a whisky maker, but I loved her still.
Closed Thread

Tags
weather, move, made, retire, winters

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.