Why do we as Sumter County taxpayers put up with this?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2020, 08:17 AM
Angry Why do we as Sumter County taxpayers put up with this?

You may not know but here are a few facts that will disgust you!

1. Sumter County Commissioners signed a 30 year contract in July 2018 with The Villages rich developers whereas we taxpayers will pay for roads and drainage infrastructure within land owned by the developers. The Villages gets to select the construction company, Rainey Construction, to design and build roads and drainage with ZERO competitor bids. The developers submit invoices for this design & construction cost plus 3% management fees to Sumter County. The owner of Rainey and the Morse Family are business partners in a large hunting lodge in Montana!

2. The Sumter County Commissioners also voted for a 25% tax increase so that us the taxpayers will eat the cost for The Villages developers!

3. In return of this 30 year contract The Villagers developers agree to build a 4th town center in Sumter County...no target date was set for this new town center so they have up to 30 years to build it.

4. The Sumter County Commissioners also agreed to pay for infrastructure roads and drainage for a new Developers business park to be located on I-75...this is your taxpayers money to assist the ultra rich developers!

5. Did you know that the Morse Family is the second richest family in Florida. The owner of Carnival Corporation is the richest.

6. The only way to stop this madness is to vote the current Sumter County Commissioners out in November who do not have your interest in mind!

Last edited by Moderator; 02-05-2020 at 08:28 AM. Reason: With OP Permission, removed partisan reference.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:36 AM

please post your thoughts in a business like manner! Be civil.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post

1. Sumter County Commissioners signed a 30 year contract in July 2018 with The Villages rich developers whereas we taxpayers will pay for roads and drainage infrastructure within land owned by the developers. The Villages gets to select the construction company, Rainey Construction, to design and build roads and drainage with ZERO competitor bids. The developers submit invoices for this design & construction cost plus 3% management fees to Sumter County. The owner of Rainey and the Morse Family are business partners in a large hunting lodge in Montana!

2. The Sumter County Commissioners also voted for a 25% tax increase so that us the taxpayers will eat the cost for The Villages developers!

3. In return of this 30 year contract The Villagers developers agree to build a 4th town center in Sumter County...no target date was set for this new town center so they have up to 30 years to build it.

4. The Sumter County Commissioners also agreed to pay for infrastructure roads and drainage for a new Developers business park to be located on I-75...this is your taxpayers money to assist the ultra rich developers!

5. Did you know that the Morse Family is the second richest family in Florida. The owner of Carnival Corporation is the richest.

6. The only way to stop this madness is to vote the current Sumter County Commissioners out in November who do not have your interest in mind!

1. So what???? Please show me a locality where the taxpayers do not pay for roads and infrastructure owned by the county. And what does a jointly owned hunting lodge have to do with anything, except maybe jealousy of their success

2. So how did you think the county was going to pay for all the new infrastructure?

3. I'm not sure a 4th town square was a quid pro quo in this deal, but again so what. Isn't it benefit to those newly developed areas south of route 44?

4. Business Parks and commercial developments add to the tax base. Again, you are hooked up on the concept of the "ultra rich"

5. So the Morse family is rich. So what? They were successful developers with a great concept that has earned them a great deal of money. That's what they do. They DON"T OWE YOU ANYTHING. Better yet, why don't you put the time and effort into developing an even better community than The Villages and you too could be a billionaire

6. This just sounds like more class warfare babbling. Apparently you object to the county making deals that will improve infrastructure and bring new business to Sumter because they are making the deals with the "ultra rich". Here's a news flash---people receiving social services are not going to build an industrial park, or a shopping center, or the next Villages. Or would you be happier if the county raised taxes to give it away to "the poor".
Old 02-05-2020, 09:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Yep they're making money. So what that's what they should do. It's a great place to live, plenty of activities and places to shop eat and play. As for the 25% increase it was only on a small portion of you taxes. Mine went up the cost of 1 drink out per week. As for the road construction somebody has to do it and somebody has to pay for it. Can't continue building without more roads & Rainey does a pretty good job. Don't know where you moved from but this is 100% better in all ways compared to where I lived & worked for 60+ years before this and my taxes were at least trible what I pay here. JMO
Old 02-05-2020, 09:55 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:

BWAHAHAHA! The roads/infrastructure are County property that simply permit access to and around the Villages and business park!

That 4th town center - so the developer agreed to build another entertainment facility for Sumter County and you're upset? LOL

25% tax increase? LOL How many years did Sumter County NOT have tax increases? Count your blessings instead of whining!

Old 02-05-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
1. So what???? Please show me a locality where the taxpayers do not pay for roads and infrastructure owned by the county. And what does a jointly owned hunting lodge have to do with anything, except maybe jealousy of their success

2. So how did you think the county was going to pay for all the new infrastructure?

3. I'm not sure a 4th town square was a quid pro quo in this deal, but again so what. Isn't it benefit to those newly developed areas south of route 44?

4. Business Parks and commercial developments add to the tax base. Again, you are hooked up on the concept of the "ultra rich"

5. So the Morse family is rich. So what? They were successful developers with a great concept that has earned them a great deal of money. That's what they do. They DON"T OWE YOU ANYTHING. Better yet, why don't you put the time and effort into developing an even better community than The Villages and you too could be a billionaire

6. This just sounds like more class warfare babbling. Apparently you object to the county making deals that will improve infrastructure and bring new business to Sumter because they are making the deals with the "ultra rich". Here's a news flash---people receiving social services are not going to build an industrial park, or a shopping center, or the next Villages. Or would you be happier if the county raised taxes to give it away to "the poor".
You missed my point! Up until July 2018 the developers paid for roads on the land they owned...now that cost has been transferred to the taxpayer. I own an international multi million dollar medical company so I am not jealous of people making money!
Old 02-05-2020, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

OP I think some people either don't understand, or have chosen to approve, the double-dipping, cronyism, and political quagmire going on.

In most counties, towns, or other state municipalities, infrastructure and road maintenance is either done by the state or municipality itself (through their public works department) or they go out to bid for each project. There is rarely a 30-year contract awarded to contractors, ever, for anything. Many things can happen in the 30-years of a contractor's business that would either drive costs up, or result in delays that citizens are paying to have done in a timely manner.

The Morse family has cronies, friends, business partners - in the county government. This is known, no secret, no conspiracy, they talk about it live in meetings. The Morse family ALSO are partners with this particular contractor's owner.

The Morse family has basically made a deal with the county government to award a multi-billion-dollar-deal to their pal and partner, for a 30-year contract, thus completely bypassing the bidding process for the next 30 years. Considering that the Villages is the #1 largest developing real estate in this part of the state, they've basically shut out ALL competition in the region. Everyone involved is able to write their own check for this, and the taxpayer AND the Villages residents pay for it.

One issue is that the Villages residents ARE the taxpayers. So they get to pay twice. Once when they buy the house in the form of bonds (a part of which covers infrastructure in Sumter County), and once per year in the form of the increased taxes.

I feel that it's the 30-year aspect of this that's the trouble, combined with the fact that Village homeowners are already paying a portion of infrastructure costs by way of the bond. Not that Rainey is contracted to do the work. The contract duration terms is just totally inconsistent with the rest of the state, and the rest of the country, and reeks of political and financial payola.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
You missed my point! Up until July 2018 the developers paid for roads on the land they owned...now that cost has been transferred to the taxpayer. I own an international multi million dollar medical company so I am not jealous of people making money!
I'd like to see a source for your assertion that up until 7/2018 the developers paid for the roads. My understanding is that they were built and paid for by the county. If they weren't, we could pull all the red buttons out of the gates and make this a truly gated community.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:30 AM

The building of roads on private property has been the responsibility of the developers. Once completed the developers turns the private property roads over to the county. Also current county roads like 466A are upgraded by the county.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
The building of roads on private property has been the responsibility of the developers. Once completed the developers turns the private property roads over to the county. Also current county roads like 466A are upgraded by the county.

One small correction.

They aren't just "turned over" to the county...they are sold to the county.

With guidelines and procedures established, that strongly favor the developer...in receiving the highest price possible.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Is the OP's statements correct or not? I don't know what to believe anymore.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

I will not be voting for anyone who runs for office because they are angry.

This is the best place that I have ever lived. Of course you can look hard enough to find something to complain about - if that is what your life is about. As for me, I think that changes would more likely make our community less enjoyable, not more. If you want to call me a Kool-aide drinker, go ahead. I like Kool-aide. It is delicious and refreshing.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
If you want to call me a Kool-aide drinker, go ahead. I like Kool-aide. It is delicious and refreshing.
Kool-aide is also very very unhealthy!!!
Old 02-05-2020, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Well, I just applied for a building permit in Sumter County for what is considered a small job (under $15,000 in improvements). A couple of weeks ago the permit would have cost $158, but today it costs $350. That is an increase of 121.5%. As if the slap in the face of a 25% property tax increase wasn't already enough! The greed of Sumter County appears to have no limits, vote the bums out of office! How could the replacements possibly be any worse at representing the counties tax payers?
Old 02-05-2020, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Well, I just applied for a building permit in Sumter County for what is considered a small job (under $15,000 in improvements). A couple of weeks ago the permit would have cost $158, but today it costs $350. That is an increase of 121.5%. As if the slap in the face of a 25% property tax increase wasn't already enough! The greed of Sumter County appears to have no limits, vote the bums out of office! How could the replacements possibly be any worse at representing the counties tax payers?
Hmmm. Taxes go up. Fees go up. The price of food goes up. What a shock
Closed Thread

Tags
developers, sumter, county, taxpayers, commissioners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.