Why do we as Sumter County taxpayers put up with this?

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2020, 09:49 AM

I’m a little new to TV, is it only TV getting their taxes raised or is ALL of Sumter County residents getting their taxes raised?? Where are those people? Are t they complaining?
Old 02-06-2020, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyladycruz View Post
I’m a little new to TV, is it only TV getting their taxes raised or is ALL of Sumter County residents getting their taxes raised?? Where are those people? Are t they complaining?
Just the county part of the tax bill was raised, and for all of Sumter county. The areas outside the Villages are primarily Oxford, Wildwood, and south to Bushnell. No idea if they are complaining, but based on the response from Villagers, probably. After all, our newspaper only reports happy news.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel 1952 View Post
I agree the OP was very civil with his opinion. But, some people think too highly of themselves.
Double ditto here.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:10 AM

Thank u for this detailed info. I knew about some of this happening but not everything. I will forward this message along. Again thank you.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:10 AM

I don’t like the fact that Rainey has no competition. That’s not right.
NOT good business!
Old 02-06-2020, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarnet View Post
I don’t like the fact that Rainey has no competition. That’s not right.
NOT good business!
It's GREAT business (for Rainey)
Old 02-06-2020, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
It's funny/sad all the whining after-the-fact. The budget process and information was available to the public months prior to the vote and raising of the property taxes. If you are so upset about the tax increase and the funding of certain project........where were you during the process ALL MOST A YEAR AGO???? You decided not to be involved.

Blame yourself if you are not happy.

I contacted every county commissioner involved in the process via e-mail, some never responded and others responded with the exact same canned response. The public meetings were packed and the opinions of every tax payer opposed to the massive tax increase were brushed off. The same canned explanation for the massive tax increase were simply repeated over and over. The process was a total hoax as the outcome was pre-determined. That’s what makes this very sad, because now people won’t bother to get involved in the future now that it has been proven to them that there is no real process.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:45 AM

Please reread my post. I never stated that I have made millions! I was replying to someone that attacked me about hating rich people.

People speak about Sumter County not having tax increases for many years. With adding over 60,000 homes to the county taxpayers role there was never a need! With the estimated 65,000 new homes to be built in the near future south of CR44 why did the commissioners increase tax rates. Maybe many of us can clearly afford to pay the increase...BUT is it fair for all the poor people living outside TV in Sumter County to pay for TV infrastructure...this is a big deal.

It just seems since the untimely death of Gary Morse, who was a great visionary, the rules have changed!

Someone here has stated if I had a problem with what the commissioners were doing I should have become involved! I did try to get involved like many other villagers but we where locked out from the commissioners meeting at Rohan Rec center.

I love living in the Villages! It is time to open our eyes and minds that we fully know how the rules are changing! That was the main purpose of my post!
Old 02-06-2020, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
Please reread my post. I never stated that I have made millions! I was replying to someone that attacked me about hating rich people.

People speak about Sumter County not having tax increases for many years. With adding over 60,000 homes to the county taxpayers role there was never a need! With the estimated 65,000 new homes to be built in the near future south of CR44 why did the commissioners increase tax rates. Maybe many of us can clearly afford to pay the increase...BUT is it fair for all the poor people living outside TV in Sumter County to pay for TV infrastructure...this is a big deal.

It just seems since the untimely death of Gary Morse, who was a great visionary, the rules have changed!

Someone here has stated if I had a problem with what the commissioners were doing I should have become involved! I did try to get involved like many other villagers but we where locked out from the commissioners meeting at Rohan Rec center.

I love living in the Villages! It is time to open our eyes and minds that we fully know how the rules are changing! That was the main purpose of my post!
Well, I apologize. That wasn't the message I got from the OP.
I'm sure you realize that the contractors for the infrastructure get paid now, the 60,000 homes start paying tax later. Very possible that in the future tax rates will decrease, just as they have in the past
Old 02-06-2020, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharfrfla View Post
Thank u for this detailed info. I knew about some of this happening but not everything. I will forward this message along. Again thank you.
Tax increase
Sumter County Taxes
Sumter County forging ahead to reduce impact fees?
Sneaky Tax Appraiser Is Watching Us!
Sumter tax issue?
Old 02-06-2020, 11:20 AM

I have 40 years in Construction, and know for a fact, If you don’t have to put work out to bid,,,
Someone in the Pockets,, AND THAT IS A FACT !!!
Old 02-06-2020, 11:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Well, you probably won't be able to do anything about the raise in taxes, complaining here. You'll just have to suck it up & pay them or move. Complaining isn't going to make them feel sorry for you. If you want to live in TV & can't afford to pay the 1 drink tax raise, cut back on something else. You're not going to beat City Hall !
Old 02-06-2020, 11:41 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
please post your thoughts in a business like manner! Be civil.
This is a forum, not a business!
Old 02-06-2020, 11:47 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
It's funny/sad all the whining after-the-fact. The budget process and information was available to the public months prior to the vote and raising of the property taxes. If you are so upset about the tax increase and the funding of certain project........where were you during the process ALL MOST A YEAR AGO???? You decided not to be involved.

Blame yourself if you are not happy.

There were many people that protested at that time. Their concerns fell on deaf ears.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:51 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower33 View Post
The interesting thing is several of these commissioners are fello villagers.
You're right. That is very interesting.
Closed Thread

Tags
developers, sumter, county, taxpayers, commissioners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.