Why do we as Sumter County taxpayers put up with this?

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2020, 11:53 AM
theruizs

If you are that concerned, live elsewhere. It was clearly obvious to anyone buying here that they would pay a premium for the home PLUS a bond (or remaining bond if buying previously owned), plus other monthly and annual fees. Even in 2012 when we bought, the taxes were higher than anywhere else we were considering. So if knowing that you still bought here, why complain about it all now? This may not be the best community for people retiring on a tight budget, but other amenities make it really attractive. So the family that thought it up made a few billion, that’s America. I’m not saying there may not be some things taken advantage of by the developers who have the influence to do it, but if that really concerns you I think you will be much less frustrated living elsewhere than trying to change things here. Best of luck either way.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
If you are that concerned, live elsewhere. It was clearly obvious to anyone buying here that they would pay a premium for the home PLUS a bond (or remaining bond if buying previously owned), plus other monthly and annual fees. Even in 2012 when we bought, the taxes were higher than anywhere else we were considering. So if knowing that you still bought here, why complain about it all now? This may not be the best community for people retiring on a tight budget, but other amenities make it really attractive. So the family that thought it up made a few billion, that’s America. I’m not saying there may not be some things taken advantage of by the developers who have the influence to do it, but if that really concerns you I think you will be much less frustrated living elsewhere than trying to change things here. Best of luck either way.
There are people who moved in only in the last 2-3 years, who bought because of the promise of low taxes, an "almost-paid-off" or fully paid off bond, low maintenance and amenity fees, and tons of amenities and other perks of living in the vicinity (such as the free entertainment in the squares, which is a perk of living in the vicinity and not an amenity).

They've only been here a couple of years and then BOOM - they discover their maintenance fees don't really cover all the maintenance. Their amenities are not impossible, but certainly less carefree to participate in and enjoy, when the snowbirds come down. The promise of an on-premise hospital and emergency facilities are darkened by the hospital rating and high turnover, which was only announced in the last year. The taxes have increased for the first time in 9 years - meaning, the previous 9 years showed a trend, and there was no reason for new homeowners to think this was going to change the year after they moved in. They had no reason to think they needed to prepare immediately, for next year's tax increase - because the trend showed there was NO tax increase for the past 9 years.

This doesn't affect me on a personal level, since I don't live in Sumter county. But it would have, if I had chosen a different area of the Villages to live in, when we moved in last year. In fact - when we purchased our house, it was 2 days after the increase in amenity fees. If we had closed 2 days prior, we would not have had to pay the increase. So even that piddly little $3 or $5/month change - affected us directly. Again, something that did NOT happen every year, and so there was no expectation that it would - until we were put into a situation where we had to decide to move to our retirement home a couple of years before retirement.

For us, personally, it is a non-issue. But for hundreds who moved here because it was advertised one way - and everything changed before they had a chance to prepare for it - it is absolutely an issue.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
...for hundreds who moved here because it was advertised one way - and everything changed before they had a chance to prepare for it - it is absolutely an issue.
Gross exaggeration of the big picture imo.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:03 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
There were many people that protested at that time. Their concerns fell on deaf ears.

That was at the tax increase meetings. That was too late, the budget was already approved months ago. Where were the protest during the budget process??? That is where the impact is made.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I contacted every county commissioner involved in the process via e-mail, some never responded and others responded with the exact same canned response. The public meetings were packed and the opinions of every tax payer opposed to the massive tax increase were brushed off. The same canned explanation for the massive tax increase were simply repeated over and over. The process was a total hoax as the outcome was pre-determined. That’s what makes this very sad, because now people won’t bother to get involved in the future now that it has been proven to them that there is no real process.

You missed the opportunity for involvement......the expenditures are determined during the budget process. The budget was approved months before your emails were sent.

The process was "pre-determined" because the county had to cover the approved budget expenditures.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:07 PM

Your/our bonds pay for the infrastructure and roads in the initial building phase of The Villages. Eventually roads are turned over to the county for maintaining.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymac View Post
I have 40 years in Construction, and know for a fact, If you don’t have to put work out to bid,,,
Someone in the Pockets,, AND THAT IS A FACT !!!

Not true.

There are mutually beneficial partnerships created in construction, as in most industries, if you know how.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Gross exaggeration of the big picture imo.
I agree.....
Old 02-06-2020, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
You missed the opportunity for involvement......the expenditures are determined during the budget process. The budget was approved months before your emails were sent.

The process was "pre-determined" because the county had to cover the approved budget expenditures.

So, then why did they wast everyones time having public hearings? Public hearings are supposed to be for tax payers to have input in the process and help shape the final outcome. Not to be repeatedly read talking points justifying a pre-determined outcome.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
So, then why did they wast everyones time having public hearings? Public hearings are supposed to be for tax payers to have input in the process and help shape the final outcome. Not to be repeatedly read talking points justifying a pre-determined outcome.

To give input, not have input.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
That was at the tax increase meetings. That was too late, the budget was already approved months ago. Where were the protest during the budget process??? That is where the impact is made.
Be honest Mr Helpful. Would that have made any difference at all?
Old 02-06-2020, 05:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Be honest Mr Helpful. Would that have made any difference at all?

It did up North, have not done it here.

Jus trying to inform where impact has opportunity.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
To give input, not have input.
??????, not a helpful response?
Old 02-07-2020, 12:01 AM

Why do I put up with it?

1. I am not a voting taxpayer as I am not a full-time resident (yet) of Sumter County.

2. In general, I am favorable toward people who build great products. i.e. profit from their efforts.

3. I understood (mostly) going into a home purchase in The Villages how the CDD structure and taxes/maintenance fees/amenity fees were structured and decided before I bought that it was acceptable to me.
-Tom Robbins
Old 02-07-2020, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
please post your thoughts in a business like manner! Be civil.
thank you~!
Closed Thread

Tags
developers, sumter, county, taxpayers, commissioners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.