Why do we as Sumter County taxpayers put up with this?

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2020, 01:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
6. The only way to stop this madness is to vote the current Sumter County Commissioners out in November who do not have your interest in mind!
Actually, November is too late to vote out Butler, Burgess, and Printz. In Sumter County, whoever wins the August 18 Republican primary will win the November election. So mark your calendar accordingly.

Last edited by Advogado; 02-08-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
New Englander needs to remember how much we had to pay in taxes up there. when you're hit up for over 9 grand a year on a 2 bedroom cape, uhhh,..it looks darn good down here
What we paid up north is totally irrelevant. The question is why did we have a massive tax increase here in order to preserve the Developer's sweetheart impact fee??? If you look into that question, the answer becomes pretty obvious.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
The point is, why should they be getting corporate welfare from the taxpayers of Sumter County? The County Commissioners should have increased the Developer's suspiciously low impact fee instead of the residents' taxes in order to pay for the Developer's infrastructure.
What are the inpact fees in other counties? Does anyone know? I have not seen these numbers in any of the posts in any of the social media sites that I visit.

Those of you who believe that the fees are wrong, please provide some information to support your statement.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Corporations have benefitted from tax breaks for many years in all parts of the country.
Is it right? Maybe, maybe not.
Is it different from what is happening here? Maybe, maybe not.
Do I like it? Maybe, maybe not.
Am I informed enough to know that corruption is the cause? No.
Am I going to knee jerk react and vote for someone that I know nothing about? No.
Will I vote for someone who changes parties in order to run in a primary race? No.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
What are the inpact fees in other counties? Does anyone know? I have not seen these numbers in any of the posts in any of the social media sites that I visit.

Those of you who believe that the fees are wrong, please provide some information to support your statement.
Glad to oblige.

Collier County, where the Commissioners are not in the pocket of developers: around $20,000/house in a retirement community versus $901 for the Developer here (more than 20 times more than the Developer pays). Regular builders in Sumter County: $2,600/house.

It is not a matter of our "believing" there is something "wrong", as you put it, going on here. It is a demonstrable fact.

Look for example at the campaign contributions by the Developer and related people and businesses to Burgess's campaign in 2012, when he faced opposition. Do a little digging, on your own, into the relationships between the Developer and Commissioners. Some of this stuff can be discovered from public records. What, if if anything, cannot be discovered from public records?
Old 02-08-2020, 02:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I just pulled up the Sumter Co. Property Appraiser's Web Site Sumter County Property Appraiser - Joey Hooten - Bushnell, Florida - 352-569-6800
You can go back to 2006 and look at tax info. I've been here full time since 2004.
On my 2006 tax bill the total millage rate (ad valorem) was 14.9660
On our 2019 (latest) tax bill the total ad valorem millage rate was 12.4001
That means our millage rate is down 2.5659 over the last 13 years.
I also want to add we paid $63.79 less in Sumter Co. property taxes in 2019 than we did in 2006. AND $255.92 less in total ad valorem taxes.

CAN ANY "SUMTER COUNTY VOTER" PLEASE EXPLAIN AGAIN WHY I SHOULD BE MAD? WHY I SHOULD WANT TO CHANGE THE WAY OUR COUNTY IS RUN? CHANGE WHO RUNS THE COUNTY?

I really (sorry) don't want to hear from people who don't live here..... this is our home..... not our golf vacation destination. I know you might be tax payers and home owners here and entitled to your opinions..... I just don't (sorry really) want to here them. Thank you for letting me rant.
As you requested, you should be mad for the following reason:

Every time you pay your tax bill, you are, in reality, writing a check to the Developer for the amount of your tax increase. That is because the County Commissioners, who are beholden to the Developer for their jobs, voted to increase your taxes, rather than the Developer's sweetheart impact fee, to pay for the infrastructure necessitated by the Developer's massive expansion of The Villages.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
If you are that concerned, live elsewhere. It was clearly obvious to anyone buying here that they would pay a premium for the home PLUS a bond (or remaining bond if buying previously owned), plus other monthly and annual fees. Even in 2012 when we bought, the taxes were higher than anywhere else we were considering. So if knowing that you still bought here, why complain about it all now? This may not be the best community for people retiring on a tight budget, but other amenities make it really attractive. So the family that thought it up made a few billion, that’s America. I’m not saying there may not be some things taken advantage of by the developers who have the influence to do it, but if that really concerns you I think you will be much less frustrated living elsewhere than trying to change things here. Best of luck either way.
We are living in a community, not at a resort hotel. Don't check out if something is rotten in your government. Vote to clean it up. In this case, by voting out Butler, Burgess, and Printz in the August 18 Republican primary.

BTW, I don't begrudge the Morses making a lot of money. They just shouldn't do it at taxpayer expense.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Curious....if you vote out the commissioners what do you expect the new people to do? Reduce the tax increase, pass laws that will put more burden on developers (all not just Morse), put more taxes on Villages so those that live in other parts of Sumter aren't impacted? I hear a lot of vote out the bums but nothing on what is expected.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-08-2020, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Curious....if you vote out the commissioners what do you expect the new people to do? Reduce the tax increase, pass laws that will put more burden on developers (all not just Morse), put more taxes on Villages so those that live in other parts of Sumter aren't impacted? I hear a lot of vote out the bums but nothing on what is expected.
Act independently and objectively and look out for the best interest of the counties taxpayers.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
As you requested, you should be mad for the following reason:

Every time you pay your tax bill, you are, in reality, writing a check to the Developer for the amount of your tax increase. That is because the County Commissioners, who are beholden to the Developer for their jobs, voted to increase your taxes, rather than the Developer's sweetheart impact fee, to pay for the infrastructure necessitated by the Developer's massive expansion of The Villages.
SO WHAT?????

If the developer paid $20,000 more in impact fees, they would pass it along to the home buyer, and you'd be paying it anyway, just not in your tax bill. Or did you think "the developer" would just eat the extra expense as a gift to YOU??????
Old 02-09-2020, 07:21 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
SO WHAT?????

If the developer paid $20,000 more in impact fees, they would pass it along to the home buyer, and you'd be paying it anyway, just not in your tax bill. Or did you think "the developer" would just eat the extra expense as a gift to YOU??????:1r otfl:
First, businesses cannot simply pass on all increased costs to consumers. If they could, they would raise their prices before the cost increases.

Second, to the extent that the costs are passed on through higher prices, they would be paid by the purchasers of new homes, the ones that are causing the the infrastructure expenses. Thus, the costs would be borne by the Developer and the new home buyers-- exactly the people who are responsible for the infrastructure and the ones who should be paying for it.

Remember, thanks to the Developer's guys on the County Commission, every time you pay your county taxes, you are, in reality, writing a check to the Developer for the amount of the tax increase. The residents of Sumter County are being played for suckers by the Developer and his tax-raising, aquifer-draining, sinkhole-causing County Commissioners.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
We are living in a community, not at a resort hotel. Don't check out if something is rotten in your government. Vote to clean it up. In this case, by voting out Butler, Burgess, and Printz in the August 18 Republican primary.

BTW, I don't begrudge the Morses making a lot of money. They just shouldn't do it at taxpayer expense.

Exactly the way I see it, and really...a pretty easy concept.

The choice is simple.

Have the beneficiary of the necessitated infrastructure improvements pay for what they made necessary...or make taxpayers subsidize them.

If Da Family, or any other developer, is necessitating upgraded infrastructure due to THEIR development, it should be paid by THEM...through impact fees.

If the developers choose to increase the price of their product and the direct recipient of these improvements of the infrastructure upgrades have to pay more, so be it...that's the way it's supposed to work.

It's really hard for me to comprehend, why some people can't understand something this easy/basic, or are so willing to subsidize with public money...private enterprises who least need it.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Act independently and objectively and look out for the best interest of the counties taxpayers.
In other words, do their job, ethically.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Actually, November is too late to vote out Butler, Burgess, and Printz. In Sumter County, whoever wins the August 18 Republican primary will win the November election. So mark your calendar accordingly.
Quote:
Glad to oblige.

Collier County, where the Commissioners are not in the pocket of developers: around $20,000/house in a retirement community versus $901 for the Developer here (more than 20 times more than the Developer pays). Regular builders in Sumter County: $2,600/house.

It is not a matter of our "believing" there is something "wrong", as you put it, going on here. It is a demonstrable fact.

Look for example at the campaign contributions by the Developer and related people and businesses to Burgess's campaign in 2012, when he faced opposition. Do a little digging, on your own, into the relationships between the Developer and Commissioners. Some of this stuff can be discovered from public records. What, if if anything, cannot be discovered from public records?
Quote:

These posts are beyond opinion, naming names is a political statement. I Thought this was not allowed??
Old 02-09-2020, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

I feel sorry for the county residents outside TV.
Bet they are ecstatic at paying towards all the expansion
Closed Thread

Tags
developers, sumter, county, taxpayers, commissioners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.