Why do we as Sumter County taxpayers put up with this?

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2020, 09:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

James Rainey owns Rainey Construction. Unless you believe what the POA tells you.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
James Rainey owns Rainey Construction. Unless you believe what the POA tells you.
I'll believe the POA...over that 'other' group.

After all, they are the only group that is constantly looking out for us residents, even in the face of outright hatred/vitriol toward them, simply because they have the audacity...to pull back the curtain.

And on those occasions they get it wrong, unlike so many others...they have no compunction admitting they were wrong.

Unlike that other group, which is nothing more than a sock-puppet/mouthpiece...for Da Family.

But hey, although that other group has no interest whatsoever in protecting outrageous actions that are detrimental to us TV residents...they do at least temporarily loan out wheelchairs.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:14 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Again............What IS the dollar increase in the county expenditures for the Southern Oaks area??

Does any one know what dollar amount they are complaining about???
Old 02-10-2020, 02:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The problem is that the prices are not being passed on to the buyers of new homes, the problem is that the costs of expansion are being passed on to existing homeowners.
Exactly. If the Developer could really succeed in passing on all the increased impact fees through higher prices (which anybody with any knowledge of economics or business would realize he could not), that would be fine. The costs of the new infrastructure would then be borne by the people who necessitated it, not by the existing residents-- who didn't want The Villages to expand in the first place.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
All costs are part of the consideration for the home. Consideration = price paid+ any other liens against the property . If there were no bond program , the developer would have paid out of pocket or with a construction loan and the outcome would be the same.All costs are passed through to the buyer through one mechanism or the other. Any increase in "impact fees will' by definition be passed through to the buyer. Ergo a higher price. I have no quarrel with higher impact fees, but the final result will still be that the buyer pays.
Apparently you have never been in business. Increased costs cannot simply be passed on to customers. If a business could do that, it would raise its prices without any increase in costs and thereby increase its profits. But even if the Developer could pass on a higher impact fee entirely, that would be okay. The costs of the infrastructure would then be paid by the people who necessitated it, not by the existing residents, who didn't want the new The Villages sprawl in the first place.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
They are paying towards something that is of no benefit to them, and I bet none of them wanted, and the current increase is 25%.
20 years ago is irrelevant.
Exactly, the issue here is the REASON for the tax increase, which is to put taxpayer money in the Developer's pocket by having taxpayers pay for infrastructure that should be paid for by the Developer via a reasonable impact fee. Some posters do not seem to understand that. Vote out Butler, Burgess, and Printz in the August Republican primary.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
A lot of folks living in the area have jobs because of TV. Expansion creates jobs.
It also:
>increases pollution
>increases the likelihood of sinkholes
>creates congestion-- both people and traffic
>causes a shortage of service personnel
>jeopardizes our water supply
>kills any chances of major appreciation in our investment in our homes
>costs us a 25% tax increase.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Why oh why are you still here?
Old 02-10-2020, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

10 pages of posts with differing opinions (so what else is new?)
It appears to me there is a group that objects to the tax increase to pay for new infrastructure on the basis that all homeowners are paying for something that only benefits some.
So the objection is that someone may be paying for something they don't use.

Well, where to start?

School taxes for couples who never had children
Cell phone surcharges to pay for those that don't pay their bill
Higher health insurance premiums to offset losses to hospitals by uninsured patients that don't pay their bills
Corporate tax subsidies for investing in Zimbabwe or Uzbekistan or putting up a sign that says save the whales or some other such nonsense
Food stamps
Welfare checks
Medicaid
And my new favorite: Some restaurants in California adding a surcharge to combat "climate change"

I could go on, but I think I've made my point
Old 02-10-2020, 04:42 PM

I am the OP. Cost is not known until the developers design the roads plus drainage contacts with Rainey Construction On a NO BID project. Then the developers will invoices Sumpter County plus a 3% management fees and includes draws throughout the process. Realize that construction cost in the 30 future is unknown!

The information I posted came directly from Sumpter County records including the 30 year county approved contract which was signed on July 10, 2018...before the commissioners held public meetings with the taxpayers!

Has anyone noticed that with 12 championship golf clubs above Hwy 44 that with additional 65,000 homes being developed south is Hwy 44 that all I have heard about is maybe ONE championship courses. The developers own the championship courses. I guess building thousands of more home makes more money than championship golf courses. No wonder the developers have raised the cost of playing their championship courses so that they can make room for the 65,000 home owners buying below Hwy 44.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I'll believe the POA...over that 'other' group.

After all, they are the only group that is constantly looking out for us residents, even in the face of outright hatred/vitriol toward them, simply because they have the audacity...to pull back the curtain.

And on those occasions they get it wrong, unlike so many others...they have no compunction admitting they were wrong.

Unlike that other group, which is nothing more than a sock-puppet/mouthpiece...for Da Family.

But hey, although that other group has no interest whatsoever in protecting outrageous actions that are detrimental to us TV residents...they do at least temporarily loan out wheelchairs.
I am NOT a fan of the POA. AT ALL.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
10 pages of posts with differing opinions (so what else is new?)
It appears to me there is a group that objects to the tax increase to pay for new infrastructure on the basis that all homeowners are paying for something that only benefits some.
So the objection is that someone may be paying for something they don't use.

Well, where to start?

School taxes for couples who never had children
Cell phone surcharges to pay for those that don't pay their bill
Higher health insurance premiums to offset losses to hospitals by uninsured patients that don't pay their bills
Corporate tax subsidies for investing in Zimbabwe or Uzbekistan or putting up a sign that says save the whales or some other such nonsense
Food stamps
Welfare checks
Medicaid
And my new favorite: Some restaurants in California adding a surcharge to combat "climate change"

I could go on, but I think I've made my point
No. This whole thread is about the Developer’s county commissioners offloading the Developer’s infrastructure costs onto the taxpayers, thereby giving a gift to the Developer of $150 million or so.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
I am the OP. Cost is not known until the developers design the roads plus drainage contacts with Rainey Construction On a NO BID project. Then the developers will invoices Sumpter County plus a 3% management fees and includes draws throughout the process. Realize that construction cost in the 30 future is unknown!

The information I posted came directly from Sumpter County records including the 30 year county approved contract which was signed on July 10, 2018...before the commissioners held public meetings with the taxpayers!

Your post:
2. The Sumter County Commissioners also voted for a 25% tax increase so that us the taxpayers will eat the cost for The Villages developers!

The 25% increase was to fund the approved County budget. How much of "The Villages developers" cost was in the County budget???

I'm interested in how much money you are talking about. Do you know??
Old 02-10-2020, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
No. This whole thread is about the Developer’s county commissioners offloading the Developer’s infrastructure costs onto the taxpayers, thereby giving a gift to the Developer a gift of $150 million or so.
And that is different from what I posted?----HOW????
Old 02-10-2020, 05:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
No. This whole thread is about the Developer’s county commissioners offloading the Developer’s infrastructure costs onto the taxpayers, thereby giving a gift to the Developer a gift of $150 million or so.

Where did you get $150mil???

Tags
developers, sumter, county, taxpayers, commissioners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.