Why do we as Sumter County taxpayers put up with this?

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2020, 08:37 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
Since the developers took a major price increase on Championship Courses on Jan 1, 2020 many groups are playing golf outside the Villages.

(estimated 100,000 in population growth) in Southern Oaks being built what is the further impact on available tee times

You are arguing against yourself......"Many groups are playing outside" and "100,000 new golfers will impact availability". Since all the "Southern Folks" need to get in their car and drive to a course, they won't play TV's courses according to your logic.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

You are arguing against yourself......"Many groups are playing outside" and "100,000 new golfers will impact availability". Since all the "Southern Folks" need to get in their car and drive to a course, they won't play TV's courses according to your logic.
The “southern folks” bought knowing they would need to get in their car and drive to a course.

The “northern folks” bought knowing they could get in their golf cart and drive to several different Championship courses. What they didn’t know was that the Villages was going to double in size while adding little to no new Championship Golf, seriously diluting and increasing the cost of their golfing opportunities.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,456 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
No, I think you are missing the point.

A "developer" buys land, builds something on it, and then sells it FOR A PROFIT. The difference between his costs and his revenue is his profit margin. Yes, you can put additional costs on the developer, but those costs just get passed on to the consumer. People have argued that he can't pass on all his costs, but guess what---HE CAN. The only thing that keeps the profit margin in check is competition, but there is nothing around here that can compete with TV. I know nothing about Collier County, but it would seem strange that a developer would have to build PUBLIC libraries and PUBLIC police stations at his cost. In effect, that would be the reverse of what you object to----people in a specific development paying for services for the county as a whole

So now, I have to ask, do YOU live in TV or just in a surrounding area of Sumter County?
The thing is, the developer can only pass on the added cost of increased impact fees on any given unit ONCE. Exactly once. Once someone buys that unit, it is no longer the developer's. The new homeowner will, or will not, profit from sale of his/her home once he/she chooses to sell it.

Compare to the developer getting a deal and passing on the savings to the homeowner. That homeowner will benefit just once. And every single year, he will pay the price via taxes. Every year. Not just once. For every single year he owns that home, he will pay for what the developer didn't pay, that one time when the initial impact fee was charged.

In the end, after 10, 20, maybe 30 years, the homeowner will have paid MUCH more in taxes, to make up for the amount they WOULD have paid, if the impact fee to the developer was higher in the first place.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The “southern folks” bought knowing they would need to get in their car and drive to a course.

The “northern folks” bought knowing they could get in their golf cart and drive to several different Championship courses. What they didn’t know was that the Villages was going to double in size while adding little to no new Championship Golf, seriously diluting and increasing the cost of their golfing opportunities.

I may have not been clear in my response to the other post......seems like you misunderstood my response. I was responding to the poster's contradicting statement.

I understand and don't disagree with your post.

But when I purchased..............like the song, I was never promised a rose garden.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:43 PM
Sage

When did this site allow political discussions and political promotion . OPs statement " ...... vote the current commissioners out " sounds very political to me !
Old 02-16-2020, 08:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
When did this site allow political discussions and political promotion . OPs statement " ...... vote the current commissioners out " sounds very political to me !
Why do you want to cut off discussion about a subject as important as this one?
Old 02-16-2020, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Posts have been deleted for a variety of reasons and left to stay for a variety of reasons. One of the current posters said his real name on purpose.

Some of the following posts were deleted.

I think many of us are confused sometimes because of these rather vague perimeters.

I hope and believe that most people can see through the posts on this thread.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:27 AM
Gold member
Default The current residents of Sumter County should not be paying for The Villages sprawl

To sum up: There are only two sources of funds for the new county roads necessitated by the Developer's massive sprawl of The Villages: the Developer, through increasing his present sweetheart impact fee, or the residents, through higher property taxes. The Developer's County Commissioners have chosen the latter.

A few posters seem to argue that we shouldn't care about this because if the Developer's sweetheart impact fee were increased, he would magically pass on his higher cost to the new-home buyers. But think about it. Businesses cannot simply pass on higher costs to their customers. If they could, no business would ever go bankrupt.

Likewise, if the Developer could increase his house prices to cover say a $10,000/house increase in his impact fee without suffering a decline in sales that would more than offset the higher price, he would have already increased his housing prices by $10,000. In effect, what would happen is that, with a realistic impact fee, the Developer would try to increase prices to the extent the market would permit, but would end up taking a profit hit. That is why he has told his County Commissioners to keep his impact fee low.

But to the extent the cost of a realistic impact fee ends up divided between the Developer and the new-home buyers, that should be fine with the current residents of Sumter County. The cost of the infrastructure necessitated by The Villages massive sprawl would then be borne by both the Developer and the buyers of the new houses—exactly the ones who caused the infrastructure expansion, not by the current residents.

Last edited by Advogado; 02-16-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
To sum up: .

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:48 AM
Platinum member
Default No bid contract

A 30 year contract with NO bids IS a problem!
Old 02-16-2020, 09:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
A 30 year contract with NO bids IS a problem!

And what exactly does that contract state??
Old 02-16-2020, 11:40 AM
Gold member

Quote:
And what exactly does that contract state??
Whatever the Developer wanted it to state.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Sum up?
Old 02-16-2020, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Whatever the Developer wanted it to state.

That's my point...................You have no idea what is in the contract, yet you are up in arms about it.

Plus, you have no idea how many county tax dollars are being spent this year for "developer costs", yet you are up in arms about it.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
That's my point...................You have no idea what is in the contract, yet you are up in arms about it.

Plus, you have no idea how many county tax dollars are being spent this year for "developer costs", yet you are up in arms about it.

The original poster gave a pretty good summary of it, which is in accordance with my understanding of the contract. Please re-read the original post.

You seem to always be asking others to do your research for you. You want details about the contract, go to the Sumter County website and start digging. Asking questions, and contributing no facts, allows you to divert attention from the issues raised by the original poster.

The central point is that the Developer's County Commissioners have offloaded what the Orlando Sentinel reported to be $186 million of road costs, caused by the Developer's massive expansion of The Villagers, on to the taxpayers of Sumter County. The Developer's County Commissioners did this instead of increasing the Developer's sweetheart impact fee. The details of the contract that you refer to are secondary. How about sticking to the central point instead of nitpicking?
Closed Thread

Tags
developers, sumter, county, taxpayers, commissioners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.