Why do we as Sumter County taxpayers put up with this?

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2020, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Yes, I see that the attacks on Lauren Ritchie have started already.
Not a fan of her and I am not a fan of the POA. This thread is a perfect example of who is working for us and who isn't.

The POA has done some good things but when I read this thread...………..nope. So tired of people trying to vote a good way to run things OUT. Tired of the developer being villainized.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-11-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:53 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
UPDATE!
Is this illegal?

Legal advice on ToTV????.......................

Old 02-11-2020, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,050 Times in 2,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
My point is the developer sees a trend and is planning for it.

I have NEVER had an issue getting a tee time.

If you look on the courses, rarely do you see a Villages' golf cart. If the "Southern" villagers are significantly impacting the courses...........you would see tons of Villages' golf carts. It ain't happening and you don't see the rentals.

Dooms Day is not around the corner.

You are correct, in the long run the trend is indisputable. But for people our age, the long run is right now and our golfing opportunities are getting seriously diluted by the rapid expansion without new golf. I am not priority (does not make financial sense for a part timer) and recently had three friends from up North come visit. Try to get a T-Time in the winter for a foursome consisting of a non-priority resident and three resident guests, good luck with that. Besides very early in the AM, or at the end of the PM wave when there might not be enough light to finish the round, I could not get a T- Time despite the cost of $286 for the foursome. I can always sneak out as a single and join others, but when you can’t even get a T-time when guests visit is just not right. Four years ago, before the expansion, my same group of friends came down and we had no problem getting T-times. At least this year when my friends visited, it got really cold out by Villages standards, so we were able to get out because of all the cancellations.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Education:
Golf is dying, many experts say. According to one study by the golf industry group Pellucid Corp., the number of regular golfers fell from 30 to 20.9 million between 2002 and 2016. ... Unless the golf industry can change its ways, the decline will mean a lot of empty greens across the country. Jun 8, 2018
Probably the main reason the family retained possesion of the championship courses.
When demand falls, courses will hold a lot of new housing.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
You are correct, in the long run the trend is indisputable. But for people our age, the long run is right now and our golfing opportunities are getting seriously diluted by the rapid expansion without new golf. I am not priority (does not make financial sense for a part timer) and recently had three friends from up North come visit. Try to get a T-Time in the winter for a foursome consisting of a non-priority resident and three resident guests, good luck with that. Besides very early in the AM, or at the end of the PM wave when there might not be enough light to finish the round, I could not get a T- Time despite the cost of $286 for the foursome. I can always sneak out as a single and join others, but when you can’t even get a T-time when guests visit is just not right. Four years ago, before the expansion, my same group of friends came down and we had no problem getting T-times. At least this year when my friends visited, it got really cold out by Villages standards, so we were able to get out because of all the cancellations.

I hear you.

I'm lucky, I only have two friends from the North and we were able to get on. Disclosure: It was in April so the Snow population is dropping. 2nd Disclosure: I'm an early, early guy. I'm a dew sweeper.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Probably the main reason the family retained possesion of the championship courses.

I was wondering that also. Probably not in my lifetime. Can you imagine the Golf View Lot owners at that time????
Old 02-11-2020, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
A whole lot of the existing golf holes will face a big challenge...in getting a road to any new houses.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,050 Times in 2,740 Posts

Quote:
I hear you.

I'm lucky, I only have two friends from the North and we were able to get on. Disclosure: It was in April so the Snow population is dropping. 2nd Disclosure: I'm an early, early guy. I'm a dew sweeper.
I remember reading and enjoying your post about your marathon golf outing with friends last April😎
Old 02-11-2020, 01:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Yes............Look at the County Budget. Planned expenditures are no where near that amount.

That's why I keep asking posters for factual numbers. Not made up numbers.

Stick to the facts.

This is obviously a multi--year figure.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
This is obviously a multi--year figure.

Of course it is.

And The Villages will expand all the way to Disney too.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
What am I missing?
Today is Tuesday and I looked for open t-time for Thursday.
Between 7:22 and noon, there are 108 foursome tee times.
Doesn't make any difference the make up of the foursome, priority, resident or guest.
I don't see the problem...………………...
Old 02-11-2020, 05:30 PM

What championship golf course?

Last edited by neilbcox; 02-12-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:31 PM
Default No skin in the game

Being from Lake County I'm not affected but the ? I would raise - Is the construction contract that was awarded have legal standing?

According to Florida Statutes
255.20 Local bids and contracts for public construction works;
(1) A county, municipality, special district as defined in chapter 189, or other political subdivision of the state seeking to construct or improve a public building, structure, or other public construction works must competitively award to an appropriately licensed contractor each project that is estimated in accordance with generally accepted cost-accounting principles to cost more than $300,000. For electrical work, the local government must competitively award to an appropriately licensed contractor each project that is estimated in accordance with generally accepted cost-accounting principles to cost more than $75,000. As used in this section, the term “competitively award” means to award contracts based on the submission of sealed bids, proposals submitted in response to a request for proposal, proposals submitted in response to a request for qualifications, or proposals submitted for competitive negotiation.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
What championship golf course?
All. That doesn’t make any difference.
You cannot be choosy and then say there are no tee times,
Old 02-12-2020, 11:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Been

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What am I missing?
Today is Tuesday and I looked for open t-time for Thursday.
Between 7:22 and noon, there are 108 foursome tee times.
Doesn't make any difference the make up of the foursome, priority, resident or guest.
I don't see the problem...………………...
Been here 9+ yrs . Wife and I play 9holes, 3 or more times a week . Am flexible and look for open slots after 9pm night before. In 9 years have not been able to find a time maybe 6 times. If you know how to use the system and are flexible , you can play all the golf that you desire.

Tags
developers, sumter, county, taxpayers, commissioners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.