Why do we as Sumter County taxpayers put up with this?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #211  
Old 02-13-2020, 07:22 PM
Original Topic
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is online now
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 9,247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 278 Times in 164 Posts
Default




The entire sweetheart deal, where Da Family gets to pass on to taxpayers the responsibility of building the infrastructure necessitated by its continued development...is nothing but PURE politics.

Not to even mention, that advocating for and protecting TV residents interests...is "politics" by definition.

It's analogous to those who think public figures/entertainers shouldn't be allowed to voice their own opinions, particularly if they conflict with their own favorite public figures/entertainer's views.



Definition (click here)


Quote:
...use of intrigue or strategy in obtaining any position of power or control, as in business, university, etc.
__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.
  #212  
Old 02-13-2020, 07:43 PM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is online now
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 5,072
Thanks: 95
Thanked 558 Times in 295 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
The residents in Sumter County who do not live in The Villages are the major losers for having The Villagers Developers making them pay taxes that cover their cost!

And how much is that???



How much of the $250mil budget for '19/'20 is "cover their cost"???
__________________
Mr. Helpful.
  #213  
Old 02-13-2020, 07:49 PM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is online now
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 5,072
Thanks: 95
Thanked 558 Times in 295 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
. But those of us who play Championship courses find it difficult to get key tee off times.



I have no problem getting three tee times per week for groups ranging from 4 to 10 players.


As we play, very very rarely do we see a Villages' golf cart on the courses. The "Southern Folks" would have to be on one of these unless they are with a Northerner. Car parking lots at the Clubs are not full at all.


No signs of a massive influx.
__________________
Mr. Helpful.
  #214  
Old 02-13-2020, 09:21 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 37,048
Thanks: 1,298
Thanked 564 Times in 298 Posts
Default

Please let us know.

I am betting against it.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-13-2020 at 09:41 PM.
  #215  
Old 02-14-2020, 08:42 AM
TimeForChange TimeForChange is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Thanks: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I just learned recently that the total property tax on the two homes that I own in TV is going up $4500 per year. My current residence is a larger home on a golf course and the other is a smaller property that my wife's mother lives in. I came here eight years ago from the highest property tax county and richest in the Atlanta area. Rate hikes like this would have been phased in over three to five years. I think there was either poor planning by the board or some arm twisting involved. If you don't l like this you can vote (I think two of them) out in the Fall. I was very upset about the increased amount till I thought about the fact that TV is a very unique place owned by a family that has enough pull to get a bridge built across a State turnpike. It is what it is. The down side is that the additional taxed amount will not be spent in businesses that are here and ones that are planning to come here since the majority here are on fixed incomes for the most part. But the upside is that the State of FL does not have a State income tax like most other States. So, if you can afford to live here at over 72 then there is probably no where else as safe and clean and with as many amenities as you will find here. Just my thoughts.
  #216  
Old 02-14-2020, 09:22 AM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 5,539
Thanks: 29
Thanked 384 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
I just learned recently that the total property tax on the two homes that I own in TV is going up $4500 per year. My current residence is a larger home on a golf course and the other is a smaller property that my wife's mother lives in. I came here eight years ago from the highest property tax county and richest in the Atlanta area. Rate hikes like this would have been phased in over three to five years. I think there was either poor planning by the board or some arm twisting involved. If you don't l like this you can vote (I think two of them) out in the Fall. I was very upset about the increased amount till I thought about the fact that TV is a very unique place owned by a family that has enough pull to get a bridge built across a State turnpike. It is what it is. The down side is that the additional taxed amount will not be spent in businesses that are here and ones that are planning to come here since the majority here are on fixed incomes for the most part. But the upside is that the State of FL does not have a State income tax like most other States. So, if you can afford to live here at over 72 then there is probably no where else as safe and clean and with as many amenities as you will find here. Just my thoughts.
I would double check those numbers if I were you. I own a large house on a championship course and my taxes went up $534, so it is unlikely that the two properties you described went up $4500. Check your assessment to see if it went up, especially if the large house is new---the assessment for the previous year might have been for undeveloped land
  #217  
Old 02-14-2020, 09:24 AM
neilbcox neilbcox is offline
Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 92
Thanks: 23
Thanked 38 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I have no problem getting three tee times per week for groups ranging from 4 to 10 players.


As we play, very very rarely do we see a Villages' golf cart on the courses. The "Southern Folks" would have to be on one of these unless they are with a Northerner. Car parking lots at the Clubs are not full at all.


No signs of a massive influx.
Misguided statement! Since the developers took a major price increase on Championship Courses on Jan 1, 2020 many groups are playing golf outside the Villages.

What you have to consider is the future 65,000 homes (estimated 100,000 in population growth) in Southern Oaks being built what is the further impact on available tee times with only one championship golf course being discussed but not built yet will have!
  #218  
Old 02-14-2020, 09:42 AM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 5,539
Thanks: 29
Thanked 384 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
I just learned recently that the total property tax on the two homes that I own in TV is going up $4500 per year. My current residence is a larger home on a golf course and the other is a smaller property that my wife's mother lives in. I came here eight years ago from the highest property tax county and richest in the Atlanta area. Rate hikes like this would have been phased in over three to five years. I think there was either poor planning by the board or some arm twisting involved. If you don't l like this you can vote (I think two of them) out in the Fall. I was very upset about the increased amount till I thought about the fact that TV is a very unique place owned by a family that has enough pull to get a bridge built across a State turnpike. It is what it is. The down side is that the additional taxed amount will not be spent in businesses that are here and ones that are planning to come here since the majority here are on fixed incomes for the most part. But the upside is that the State of FL does not have a State income tax like most other States. So, if you can afford to live here at over 72 then there is probably no where else as safe and clean and with as many amenities as you will find here. Just my thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I would double check those numbers if I were you. I own a large house on a championship course and my taxes went up $534, so it is unlikely that the two properties you described went up $4500. Check your assessment to see if it went up, especially if the large house is new---the assessment for the previous year might have been for undeveloped land
Actually you REALLY need to recheck those numbers. The county tax millage rate went from 5.3365 to 6.700 (a 23.8% increase). This is a difference of 1.3635, so a $4,500 increase in your tax implies that your two properties are assessed at 4500/.0013635=$3,300,300, which seems highly unlikely
  #219  
Old 02-14-2020, 10:24 AM
GoPacers GoPacers is offline
Member
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 75
Thanks: 1
Thanked 61 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
Misguided statement! Since the developers took a major price increase on Championship Courses on Jan 1, 2020 many groups are playing golf outside the Villages.

What you have to consider is the future 65,000 homes (estimated 100,000 in population growth) in Southern Oaks being built what is the further impact on available tee times with only one championship golf course being discussed but not built yet will have!
If the demand is being met by courses outside The Villages (as you clearly note) then it would seem the developer is doing exactly what they should be doing - not overbuilding and creating excess capacity. Those that are willing to pay the increased rates are enjoying the championship courses within The Villages and those that are not seem to be happily enjoying the courses outside The Villages. I fail to see why that is a big issue???
  #220  
Old 02-14-2020, 11:58 AM
neilbcox neilbcox is offline
Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 92
Thanks: 23
Thanked 38 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
If the demand is being met by courses outside The Villages (as you clearly note) then it would seem the developer is doing exactly what they should be doing - not overbuilding and creating excess capacity. Those that are willing to pay the increased rates are enjoying the championship courses within The Villages and those that are not seem to be happily enjoying the courses outside The Villages. I fail to see why that is a big issue???
I don’t understand why people are missing the main point. Everything is working out great at this moment in time BUT add 100,000 new villagers and see what happens to available tee times.

You do make a good point about the developers are raising rates to reduce the number of Championship players. The main reason they did this now is so that they do not need to invest in Championship golf courses down south!

Last edited by neilbcox; 02-14-2020 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Reword
  #221  
Old 02-14-2020, 12:25 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 37,048
Thanks: 1,298
Thanked 564 Times in 298 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
I don’t understand why people are missing the main point. Everything is working out great at this moment in time BUT add 100,000 new villagers and see what happens to available tee times.

You do make a good point about the developers are raising rates to reduce the number of Championship players. The main reason they did this now is so that they do not need to invest in Championship golf courses down south!
I have learned one thing living here.

WAIT AND SEE.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #222  
Old 02-14-2020, 05:02 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13,705
Thanks: 0
Thanked 346 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
Misguided statement! Since the developers took a major price increase on Championship Courses on Jan 1, 2020 many groups are playing golf outside the Villages.

What you have to consider is the future 65,000 homes (estimated 100,000 in population growth) in Southern Oaks being built what is the further impact on available tee times with only one championship golf course being discussed but not built yet will have!
And how many of that 100,000 are golfers? Why are golf courses being closed all over the country.? Maybe these new residents are not interested in golf......YOU don’t really know....do you?
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #223  
Old 02-15-2020, 06:55 AM
rustyp rustyp is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,257
Thanks: 20
Thanked 82 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have learned one thing living here.

WAIT AND SEE.
Correct - a bunch of folks down Fenny way are doing just that.
  #224  
Old 02-15-2020, 07:54 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 37,048
Thanks: 1,298
Thanked 564 Times in 298 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Correct - a bunch of folks down Fenny way are doing just that.
We are a tad spoiled here. How far away is the nearest Championship Golf course to them? To any of us?

I think this is high season and he who plays 18 holes in our family four days a week has not complained about difficulty getting tee times.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #225  
Old 02-15-2020, 08:17 AM
Craig Vernon's Avatar
Craig Vernon Craig Vernon is offline
Member
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Concord Ohio
Posts: 38
Thanks: 186
Thanked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I have read all fifteen pages of this post, no life right. As someone who is looking at home values in the TV I have one relevant comment... Your home values compared to other places in Florida DO NOT reflect a problem they are soaring. I know equity doesn't spend on a fixed income or make up for an assumed promise but apparently the developers financial model works.
__________________
Saving for my place in the sun.
Reply

Tags
developers, sumter, county, taxpayers, commissioners

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 PM.