Why do we as Sumter County taxpayers put up with this?

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2020, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Rather than attack me personally, why don't you address the facts? If I am wrong, I would be glad to be educated. Also, the only "political motivation" I have is a dislike of corporate welfare at taxpayer expense and crony capitalism, both of which exist here in an unprecedented scale.

In the meantime, instead of accusing me of being a psychic, please spend a little time educating yourself as to what has been going on in Sumter County. For example: Look at the money from the Developer and his network of suppliers flowing into Commissioner campaigns when his guys face a challenger. The REPORTED campaign contributions are a matter of public record. Then look at the difference in developer impact fees between Sumter and Collier Counties.

I am not a psychic, as you allege, but I have spent some time looking into stuff like that.
I am not attacking you personally. I'm disagreeing with your OPINION, and your perspective on the issue. I question political motivation only because you have previously mentioned specific commissioners to be voted out and others to be voted in. Again, this is NOT Collier County.

Campaign contributions are made to garner favor with a candidate if they win????? What a shock!!! Can anyone spell "George Soros"???

And my previous question from a few pages back still stands (unanswered)---If a developer is required to build police stations and libraries for public use by the entire county, isn't that the same thing you object to but in reverse---a small development paying for something that others uses?
Old 02-21-2020, 11:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I am not attacking you personally. I'm disagreeing with your OPINION, and your perspective on the issue. I question political motivation only because you have previously mentioned specific commissioners to be voted out and others to be voted in. Again, this is NOT Collier County.

Campaign contributions are made to garner favor with a candidate if they win????? What a shock!!! Can anyone spell "George Soros"???

And my previous question from a few pages back still stands (unanswered)---If a developer is required to build police stations and libraries for public use by the entire county, isn't that the same thing you object to but in reverse---a small development paying for something that others uses?
I don't like much of anything that George Soros is doing, but when he makes political contributions, he is not doing making those contributions so that the politicians will line his pockets by favoring him with a sweetheart impact fee and helping him massively expand his empire.

But you and I do agree-- this is not Collier County. The Developer in Sumter County is, thanks to the County Commissioners he has put in office, paying 1/20 the impact fee he would pay in Collier County and about 1/3 of what other builders in Sumter County pay. You, I, and the other Sumter County taxpayers are making up for the shortfall through our tax increase.

Impact fees are designed, and used throughout Florida, so the developers pay the cost of the new infrastructure they necessitate. That is not happening in Sumter County. The existing taxpayers are paying for it, with the Developer pocketing the savings.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
I don't like much of anything that George Soros is doing, but when he makes political contributions, he is not doing making those contributions so that the politicians will line his pockets by favoring him with a sweetheart impact fee and helping him massively expand his empire.

But you and I do agree-- this is not Collier County. The Developer in Sumter County is, thanks to the County Commissioners he has put in office, paying 1/20 the impact fee he would pay in Collier County and about 1/3 of what other builders in Sumter County pay. You, I, and the other Sumter County taxpayers are making up for the shortfall through our tax increase.

Impact fees are designed, and used throughout Florida, so the developers pay the cost of the new infrastructure they necessitate. That is not happening in Sumter County. The existing taxpayers are paying for it, with the Developer pocketing the savings.
I've seen/heard others make this statement. Can someone please explain to me how a company can "put" county commisioners into office. They are elected by the voting residents of the county. Are you saying that the election process was corrupted by "the Developer"?
Old 02-21-2020, 04:41 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I've seen/heard others make this statement. Can someone please explain to me how a company can "put" county commisioners into office. They are elected by the voting residents of the county. Are you saying that the election process was corrupted by "the Developer"?

No one can explain the nonsense statement.

Some will say:
=> Brainwashed or

=> Drinking the Kool Aid or
=> All the greedy money put them in or
=> Elvis did it.

You are correct, the residents put the commissioners into office and many probably didn't vote in the past because taxes have not gone up for 15 years.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
An abundance of money and influence.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:51 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
An abundance of money and influence.

Yep, hit the prior post between the eyes.........

Some will say:
=> Brainwashed or
=> Drinking the Kool Aid or
=> All the greedy money put them in or
=> Elvis did it.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:49 PM

I’m sorry, but although I agree with many here that what we have here in TV is nothing short of remarkable, I have a serious problem with this issue! We’re all fairly educated adults here, and I would think, fairly familiar with how budgeting, zoning and PLANNING goes? When all these meetings occur, and requests for building and expansions arise, the “impact” on the community and region(i.e. roads, bridges, infrastructure, utilities, schools, emergency services, etc) are all supposed to be considered and properly planned for prior to approval?! And it’s either approved, phased in, or denied altogether. To continually approve these build-outs, then suddenly come to the citizens and state that you abruptly need a significant and immediate increase to keep up with the expansions, is nothing short of incompetence! And then to add in a significant increase in your own salaries on top of that, is unconscionable! I don’t know what the relationship is with the commissioners and the builder, but I do think their actions, along with their attitudes in the meetings, emboldened them to think that this would all just wash away with time. Taking advantage of the grateful and fortunate populace that have more disposable incomes than others, and hoping they’d just keep smelling the flowers and forget about this. Well, I and many others, will not. As for the owners/family, I’m grateful for what they’ve done, and have no ill will about them making a profit. But I do think that builders should pay for the significant portion of the impact fees, as this is their project(s). They certainly can pass whatever portion of those costs onto the buyer, as that’s their right. But what’s happening now is a bit nefarious in my opinion. I will support those new candidates, and hope to send those incumbents packing. Note: I still have great respect and admiration for what Gary Morse(&co) has done, and love this place! I do have a concern about having monopolies on many of the businesses here, but that is for another topic. Cheers!
Old 02-22-2020, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
I’m sorry, but although I agree with many here that what we have here in TV is nothing short of remarkable, I have a serious problem with this issue! We’re all fairly educated adults here, and I would think, fairly familiar with how budgeting, zoning and PLANNING goes? When all these meetings occur, and requests for building and expansions arise, the “impact” on the community and region(i.e. roads, bridges, infrastructure, utilities, schools, emergency services, etc) are all supposed to be considered and properly planned for prior to approval?! And it’s either approved, phased in, or denied altogether. To continually approve these build-outs, then suddenly come to the citizens and state that you abruptly need a significant and immediate increase to keep up with the expansions, is nothing short of incompetence! And then to add in a significant increase in your own salaries on top of that, is unconscionable! I don’t know what the relationship is with the commissioners and the builder, but I do think their actions, along with their attitudes in the meetings, emboldened them to think that this would all just wash away with time. Taking advantage of the grateful and fortunate populace that have more disposable incomes than others, and hoping they’d just keep smelling the flowers and forget about this. Well, I and many others, will not. As for the owners/family, I’m grateful for what they’ve done, and have no ill will about them making a profit. But I do think that builders should pay for the significant portion of the impact fees, as this is their project(s). They certainly can pass whatever portion of those costs onto the buyer, as that’s their right. But what’s happening now is a bit nefarious in my opinion. I will support those new candidates, and hope to send those incumbents packing. Note: I still have great respect and admiration for what Gary Morse(&co) has done, and love this place! I do have a concern about having monopolies on many of the businesses here, but that is for another topic. Cheers!
Well stated and absolutely...dead-on!

The knee-jerk reaction to blindly support Da Family on everything, and attack those who don't, even after those attacked have recognized/admitted the many things done correctly...is at the heart of the problem.

Thanks for so eloquently spelling it out, even though the blindly loyal...will refuse to even recognize themselves.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 02-22-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Well stated and absolutely...dead-on!

The knee-jerk reaction to blindly support Da Family on everything, and attack those who don't, even after those attacked have recognized/admitted the many things done correctly...is at the heart of the problem.

Thanks for so eloquently spelling it out, even though the blindly loyal...will refuse to even recognize themselves.

Well said.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:01 PM
Gold member
Default How to get your guys on the Sumter County Commission

Quote:
Assuming that you really want an answer to your question and are not simply trying to muddy the water and defend the status quo, here is a short explanation:

IMPORTANCE OF CONTROL OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS TO FLORIDA DEVELOPERS AND VOTER APATHY. Most Sumter County voters cannot name their County Commissioners, haven't attached much importance to county commissioners, and haven't paid much attention to their election contests. But a“close” relationship with county commissioners is crucially importance to Florida developers. County commissioners control zoning, road development, community development districts, and most importantly, impact fees. (An impact fee is a charge for each house built and is supposed to pay for the additional infrastructure necessitated by the additional house.)

To fully understand the importance of county commissioners to developers, Google: “Florida county commissioner bribe”. Remember those news reports are just about the county commissioners who got caught. When a bribe is negotiated and paid, there are often only two people in the room. Therefore, many corrupt commissioners do not get caught. But, I want to make it clear that I have no evidence that anything illegal has taken place here.

IF YOU ARE THE DEVELOPER, HOW CAN YOU LEGALLY "PUT" YOUR GUYS IN AS COUNTY COMMISSIONERS?
It's not really hard, since, as pointed out above, most voters haven't paid much attention to the county-commissioner election races. But here, briefly, is how you "put" your guys on the Sumter County Commission if you are the Developer (or at least, here is how you do it as far as can be determined from publicly available information):

1. Control the local media. Own the local newspaper, TV station, and radio station. Don't let them report anything that reflects badly on your candidates, the Republican Party, The Villages, or yourself.

2. Control the local Republican organizations. (Full disclosure, I am a Republican.) By contributing and having your cronies be active, you get control of the local Republican organizations so that your guys get nominated and supported. Have the organizations resist any effort by other Republican candidates to oppose your guys for the Republican County Commissioner nomination. Get the One Sumter ballot measure passed to facilitate this.

3. Promote candidates from your political farm team. Set up a farm team from which you can promote political candidates and who, through the team's monthly newsletter (which you distribute with your newspaper) will help you control information available to voters. You call this farm team the “Villages Homeowners Advocates”-- and it will never say an unkind word about you or your guys on the Sumter County Commission.

4. When your guys need money, throw in whatever is necessary. If you are successful with regard to #1-#3, you often don't need to actually contribute much to their campaigns. Your guys will almost never get challenged in the Republican primary, and there is no way a Democrat is going to get elected in Sumter County. BUT, if your guys do need some dough because of a challenge, you and your suppliers throw in whatever is needed.

For more information, do a little digging. A good place to start is: Candidates & Committees Profiles & Financial Reports There you will find REPORTED political contributions.

Last edited by Advogado; 03-02-2020 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:40 AM
Gold member
Default A reaction to the massive Sumter County property-tax hike

In response to the 25% Sumter County tax increase, enacted to pay for the Developer’s infrastructure while protecting his sweetheart impact fee, a political action committee has been formed with the purpose of cleaning up the Sumter County Commission. The PAC is called Fair Government for Sumter.

Learn more about the PAC at Fair Government For Sumter
Closed Thread

Tags
developers, sumter, county, taxpayers, commissioners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.