Why drive a street legal golf cart?

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2015, 04:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You don't have to agree with me about enjoying the ride but I do expect you to respect the law and the law says that cyclists and street legal golf carts have the same rights to the roads as automobiles and you are required, by law, to share the road. This is not a debatable issue, it is not my definition - it is the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hi tuccillo, let me take a wild guess you are a bicyclist, own a street legal cart, or both?

To suggest that every person has to agree with your philosophy to slow down enjoy the ride and share the roads based on your definition of the aforementioned is unrealistic; albeit I make every effort to accommodate others.

Slow moving vehicles create as many hazards as fast moving vehicles. Many states are now allowing motorcyclist to legally weave in between traffic which is an accident waiting to happen. This sort of dynamic drives some motorist to road rage.

Notice what happens when a vehicle in the left lane on say 466 moves at or below the speed limit.

Personal Best Regards
Old 03-22-2015, 04:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Under your assumptions, cars should not be allowed on the roads because they might collide with a truck and the physics would be in the truck's favor. A large number of daily activities carry risk. Your job is to follow the law to minimize the risk to everyone you share the road with. You worry about what you do and I will worry about what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Let's forget the law for a moment and talk about a ton or more of auto moving at 25 to 35 mph on a street. The phsics of a collision would indicate that the much, much lighter vehicle is going to have the most severe effect from a collision. Even though the law may be on your side, I can't understand why anyone would want to put their life and well being into the hands of auto drivers, who might have a moment loss of focus and maim or kill the operator of a cart or bike. (I had the right to be there)!! Yes we all travel in cars and you can make similar arguments, but autos are now encased with multitudes of safety items to protect the passengers. Not so with bikes or carts.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Actually you are wrong. You might want to read the law before making such statements. Cyclists have the same rights as automobiles. They do not have a minimum speed. You are required, by law, to pass slower moving vehicles in a safe and lawful manner. It doesn't matter if they are a car, cyclist, or street legal golf cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
"When both lanes are full of cars moving along steadily" means when we come up behind a SL cart going 22mph or bicyclist going not even half the speed limit of 35mph, that means we cannot go around the slow driver/rider because the left lane is full.

And as for being "entitled" to share the road, you're not "entitled" to make all other vehicles stop or slow down to half the speed limit because you're "entitled" to refuse to keep up with the flow of traffic.

Last edited by tuccillo; 03-22-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

No, you missed the point. He is not the problem. He is exercising his legal right to use the roads. It is your job to follow the law. If you disagree with the law then work to change it. In the mean time, follow the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
You missed the point, you are the problem.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Well you can wait for another of those great government bailouts and buy an electric cart license it as street legal secure the huge tax credit then thanks to a local pol revert back to a non street legal by removing the plates and the street legal tag
bingo! that's exactly what I did.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:37 PM

tuccillo
Excellent posts but you will never sway closed minds. I will continue to drive my bicycle and street legal cart safely and legally on the roads in The Villages.
Thank You for your efforts!
Old 03-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

While in my early twenties I purchased my first new car, a 1966 VW bug. Although it was easy to find a parking place in D.C. when I was on I-95 or highways I was intimidated and bullied by much larger cars and vehicles which did not always yield the right of way in compliance with traffic laws. As soon as I could afford it I purchased a larger vehicle for my own personal safety. I still follow that policy. I would rather be safe than right but dead, injured or crippled for life!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-22-2015, 07:17 PM
Gold member

As I see it, there are roads, and there are cart paths????? There are cars and golf carts!! A car can go 100mph and a golf cart can go 25mph. (legal) Cars ride on roads, and golf carts ride on golf courses & cart paths. I think we should have helicopters to ride around The Villages. I'll let our Villager friends make their "common sense" decision.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Platinum member

I know you all agree on one thing....You Can't Fix Stupid....
Old 03-22-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
You don't have to agree with me about enjoying the ride but I do expect you to respect the law and the law says that cyclists and street legal golf carts have the same rights to the roads as automobiles and you are required, by law, to share the road. This is not a debatable issue, it is not my definition - it is the law.
It seems very odd that a bicyclist can ride in the road without tags/taxes or insurance... where a street legal cart cannot. Why not a 'street legal' bicycle with a license plate and head and tail lights?
Do the bicycles have speed laws to follow? Golf carts seems way safer on the road than a bicycle. Notice I did not say the cart was safe, and FYI, I do not own a street legal cart. I just think the laws are a bit squirrely and favor bicycles. They can ride on cart paths OR highways, and golf carts cannot, unless you spend the money to make it street legal. When bikes have a safer road to travel on, like cart paths, why in their right mind would they get on the road with cars and trucks. Everyone always talks about street legal carts being death mobiles, but they seldom say how incredibly dangerous a bicycle on a street is. I am sure many of you will disagree with my thinking, but IMHO the rules need changing!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Street Legal should be allowed to travel the speed limit of 35mph which is the maximum speed of the road/street it is allowed to travel on. Otherwise---forget it! What was our "leaders" thinking?
Its a federal regulation.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
these are hazards, almost plowed into one yesterday.
If you plow into the back of one of these you will get a traffic citation.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:57 PM
Veteran member

While I would not take the risk myself with a street legal cart I do understand that if I plow into one of these vehicles on the road the reason for that accident will be my poor driving skill at the time. Slow down, be alert, save a life!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Under your assumptions, cars should not be allowed on the roads because they might collide with a truck and the physics would be in the truck's favor. A large number of daily activities carry risk. Your job is to follow the law to minimize the risk to everyone you share the road with. You worry about what you do and I will worry about what I do.
In fact, special lanes have been provided for pedestrians and vehicles other than cars. If such accomodations were available to provide separation from trucks, I would use them. Pedestrians , carts and bikes have no protection incorporated into the vehicle. I am not refering to laws but to risk - benefir calculations. The law is on your side and rightly so - Physics and human behavior(misbehavior) is not.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

This question about tags/taxes for bicycles keeping coming up every other month or so. I have two cars and own a house - I pay plenty of taxes to maintain the roads, and bicycles don't damage the road.

Many cyclists prefer the roads because they are safer than the cart paths. Unless you are a serious rider you wouldn't understand why.

The laws do not favor bicycles. The law is actually quite specific - bicycles must follow the same rules of the roads as cars. Think of bicycles as slow moving cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySevens View Post
It seems very odd that a bicyclist can ride in the road without tags/taxes or insurance... where a street legal cart cannot. Why not a 'street legal' bicycle with a license plate and head and tail lights?
Do the bicycles have speed laws to follow? Golf carts seems way safer on the road than a bicycle. Notice I did not say the cart was safe, and FYI, I do not own a street legal cart. I just think the laws are a bit squirrely and favor bicycles. They can ride on cart paths OR highways, and golf carts cannot, unless you spend the money to make it street legal. When bikes have a safer road to travel on, like cart paths, why in their right mind would they get on the road with cars and trucks. Everyone always talks about street legal carts being death mobiles, but they seldom say how incredibly dangerous a bicycle on a street is. I am sure many of you will disagree with my thinking, but IMHO the rules need changing!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.