Why hop into the golf cart lane right in front of a golf cart?

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2020, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Maybe the woman noticed one of those black racer/darter snakes in the lawn and sought to get away from it?
Could be but I think I would take my chances against a snake vs a golf cart. Good thing I was watching ahead of me. Drivers can become distracted with other things and the outcome would not have been pretty.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
That is what happened to me today. A woman, walking along Odell Circle on the sidewalk, jumped smack dab into the center of the golf cart lane right in front of me in my golf cart and continued to walk. I was motoring along at 19.9 MPH and I was no more than 10 seconds away from slamming into this woman. I gave her a quick toot on the horn and she ignored the warning. I then LAID on the horn and slowed down my cart so I would not hit her. That is when she hopped right back on the side walk which is where she should have stayed in the first place.

Death wish? Shaking my head!
Obviously an Insurance scam. Knocked down by a golf cart, few scrapes, traumatized etc. $$$ . Sue crazy USA, and Florida ? Lawyers paradise.

Check out the TV ads, plus the Billboards on I75 and the Turnpike.

Like hitting the lottery.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:06 PM

img_0535-jpg
Old 05-29-2020, 06:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
Isn't a MMP, equivalent to a sidewalk, an MMP is not " a roadway paved for vehicular traffic'''
And, there are special local rules for counties that allow golf carts, and they trump FL St 316.
As far as I know, here in The Villages MMP are for golf carts, pedestrians when there is not a side walk within a certain amount of footage, skaters and bicycles.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
Isn't a MMP, equivalent to a sidewalk, an MMP is not " a roadway paved for vehicular traffic'''
And, there are special local rules for counties that allow golf carts, and they trump FL St 316.
The CART and BIKE lanes along the roads are NOT MMPs. They are for CARTS and BIKES only, NO PEDESTRIANS. The MMPs are for all three.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:30 PM
Platinum member

Death wish or completely oblivious to everything around her.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The CART and BIKE lanes along the roads are NOT MMPs. They are for CARTS and BIKES only, NO PEDESTRIANS. The MMPs are for all three.
As I mentioned Florida in particular is an Attorney's Paradise.

Slang term Ambulance Chasers. So many TV adds mainly in the morning, and of course on the Florida Turnpike and I75 .

They have every angle covered. When given the case or go ahead. Bingo. Lottery Time.

Ahhh yes crack open another bottle of Dom Perignon.

One thing everyone can count on Covid-19 crises ? They have every angle covered with the upcoming lawsuits .

Meanwhile hey sweetheart next year New Zealand or The South Pacific. Your choice 1st class of course.

Hey liven the American Dream
Old 05-29-2020, 10:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Is that what those lanes are called along the roads.....cart and bike lanes? I used the incorrect term in my original post. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:51 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default entitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The other morning approx. 7 AM, I'm pulling into a parking space @ my local mail box, a golf cart pulls into a parking space and continues to his right parallel to the curb & stops 6" from my fender, several other people , including myself kept our mouths shut at the absolute arrogance of a personal with his own self importance , little did he know what a front fender on a MB would have cost him, guess his cart doesn't have reverse
happens all the time. The entitled are here
Old 05-30-2020, 05:59 AM

19.9 mph??? How come your first response was not to hit the break?
Old 05-30-2020, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Plenty of roads in the north part of The Villages that don’t have sidewalks, so pedestrians legally use these “cart and bike” lanes
Old 05-30-2020, 06:20 AM

attempted suicide then had second thoughts after the long toot
Old 05-30-2020, 06:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'm thinking that at some point a pedestrian is going to get killed on a golf cart path and The Villages will be sued for insisting that these are Multi Modal Paths thereby encouraging people to walk on them.

As it now stands we have every right to walk or bicycle on these paths, but IMHO to do so is risking life and limb.

My father had a saying, "They'll put on your tombstone, "I was right"".

As golf cart drivers, we obviously have the responsibility to be careful of pedestrians and if a walker is hit, it will be the fault of the driver. But why The Villages encourages people to walk on the paths, when there are so many other places to walk in TV is beyond me. And why people would risk their lives by walking on the paths also is beyond me.

These paths are narrow and sometimes barely wide enough for two golf carts to pass each other. A pedestrian is much safer walking on a street especially within neighborhoods.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:50 AM
Default Golf Cart lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
LOL, Must have been the same lady I "ran across" (PUN intended) on O'Dell, was it around 8:30AM? What they are trying to do is keep the 6' "social distancing" spacing as they walk by someone coming the other way and for most of that area there is no grass to step into, just shrubs or the street. I fully understand that but they REALLY need to look for oncoming carts or they will end up with about 6 INCH social distance spacing from the windshield !!
My wife and I were going golfing and came upon a couple walking towards us in the lane. A car was approaching us from behind so we could not swerve into the road to go around the couple. They clearly saw this. We had to come to a complete stop as the couple would not step up onto the grass to allow us to continue. Then the idiot husband yelled "we have the right of way". This is dangerous as some would have veered into the path of the car to avoid these walkers.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
That is what happened to me today. A woman, walking along Odell Circle on the sidewalk, jumped smack dab into the center of the golf cart lane right in front of me in my golf cart and continued to walk. I was motoring along at 19.9 MPH and I was no more than 10 seconds away from slamming into this woman. I gave her a quick toot on the horn and she ignored the warning. I then LAID on the horn and slowed down my cart so I would not hit her. That is when she hopped right back on the side walk which is where she should have stayed in the first place.

Death wish? Shaking my head!
Guess it happens everywhere. Inconsiderate people. Don’t care about anyone else and it’s their world you have to watch for them. Just thought people here act like adults..
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, walk, woman, lane

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.