Why I stopped playing golf

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Note: I normally play golf 4-5 times a week, love the game, am very skilled at it, and it's my main form of entertainment/exercise. This is not meant to tell others what to do.

So a couple of weeks ago I had an appointment with my Cardiologist. It was routine, nothing major going on. My Doctor is also an avid golfer, so I asked him if he was still playing. He said no, not worth the risk, even if very small. He explained to me that the virus was very contagious, and even though golf is a low risk activity, its catchable almost anywhere. But Doc, I said, I play by myself, not in a group, I wear golf gloves on both hands!

Yes I understand he said, its low risk but not zero risk. You could walk thru a sneeze cloud of infected individual a minute or two after. An infected individual could sneeze on the tee box or green in a group in front of you. Your ball picks up virus, gets on your gloves, you scratch your forehead, you are sweating, virus rolls down to your eyes, nose, mouth. Yes risk is minimal, but not even close to zero. Doctor basically told me to avoid all contact with people, get delivery or pickup of groceries, and lower all risks.

I've read many first person accounts of this virus, from people 20-30 year younger than me, and its like the flu on steroids. I hate even the regular flu, so I don't want this.

So I'm Howard Hughes now. Stay safe
Per your Dr's expert advice then every cyclist or person in golf cart is putting peoples health at risk if one is infected while riding through a neighbor hood and sneezes or coughs
Were at risk sitting outside our own homes?
Old 04-05-2020, 07:24 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

After reading some of the informed comments and also not so informed comments, it brings to mind a quote from one of our past presidents. “I despise people who go to the gutter on either the right or the left and hurl rocks at those in the center”. Dwight D. Eisenhower Enough said.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:40 AM
Default You did not have a 0 chance of dying driving to Dr. Please stay home quietly.

Let us play!
Quote:
Note: I normally play golf 4-5 times a week, love the game, am very skilled at it, and it's my main form of entertainment/exercise. This is not meant to tell others what to do.

So a couple of weeks ago I had an appointment with my Cardiologist. It was routine, nothing major going on. My Doctor is also an avid golfer, so I asked him if he was still playing. He said no, not worth the risk, even if very small. He explained to me that the virus was very contagious, and even though golf is a low risk activity, its catchable almost anywhere. But Doc, I said, I play by myself, not in a group, I wear golf gloves on both hands!

Yes I understand he said, its low risk but not zero risk. You could walk thru a sneeze cloud of infected individual a minute or two after. An infected individual could sneeze on the tee box or green in a group in front of you. Your ball picks up virus, gets on your gloves, you scratch your forehead, you are sweating, virus rolls down to your eyes, nose, mouth. Yes risk is minimal, but not even close to zero. Doctor basically told me to avoid all contact with people, get delivery or pickup of groceries, and lower all risks.

I've read many first person accounts of this virus, from people 20-30 year younger than me, and its like the flu on steroids. I hate even the regular flu, so I don't want this.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:50 AM

I agree with what your saying, however, what about the delivery person or products having something on it. We touch the item then it’s on our hands and who knows where else we spread it.....stay safe as possible....
Old 04-05-2020, 07:52 AM

The entire point of the sneeze cloud is real ... but it is limited to being in a closed environment and relevant to a doctor being in a room where a patient sneezes. It does not apply to outdoor activities. To imply there is risk to playing golf without touching anyone else's "stuff" ... irresponsible?
Old 04-05-2020, 07:56 AM

There is a risk no matter what you do or where you go. The risk of somebody sneezing and it being airborne outside on the golf course and hitting me in the face and then sweating and rolling down into my eyes or mouth…… wow! Do you have a better chance of dying driving in your car. The flu has killed 20,000 people a year and we didn’t have this paranoia.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:01 AM

You could get hit by lightning. You could be swallowed up in a sinkhole. An idiot golfer could kill you with an errant drive. Your golf cart could explode. God could just say "Come see me." Like Ben Franklin said, the only sure things are death and taxes. If you're willing to live your life in fear of infinitesimal chances of getting the virus, then do so. Reasonable precautions will also protect you. When playing, don't touch anything not yours, like the ball washers. After playing, leave everything in the cart but your clothes and you. When inside, put your clothes in the hamper and wash your face and hands (or shower if you feel the need).
Old 04-05-2020, 08:21 AM

Paranoid and ignorant........... I am staying home I do not want to risk getting the virus or even a 1% chance of giving it to someone else. Now who is being selfish
Old 04-05-2020, 08:24 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Quote:

I stopped 4 weeks ago along with men's day, and when I started a thread and announced it, I was blasted.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
There are many who share the blame if one is to assign blame to a natural event. Our great intelligence community, if it had not been eviscerated under the current administration, could very well have identified the issue early on. Just another missed opportunity.

As for Chinese wet markets, why not visit one of our slaughterhouses. I think the experience might very well turn the visitor into a vegetarian.

Let's just not assign blame until we look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we or our government did all that was possible. When this event passes, we might be well served by an investigatory commission to see where not only others failed, but where we failed.

even our genius Dr said in March, he didn’t see a problem arising out of this. but, then nobody knew much about it. i assume our government took his lead since he is the expert, even tho they did stop travel, thank goodness. but blame, ? i don’t think there should ever be any blame on any individual here, it’s all China’s fault.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:38 AM

What an idiot. But if he gets it, you can bet he will be complaining.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:

I would expect a doctor to be extremely cautious and not give anyone the wrong impression about the seriousness of the situation. Just as they will not tell you that you will never have a heart attack. It's called liability.

I just got an email saying there will now be a surcharge to play Executive courses. That might have an effect on the amount of play.

I stopped playing golf when social distancing was mandated.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
I stopped 4 weeks ago along with men's day, and when I started a thread and announced it, I was blasted.
Reading all these replies, I think a lot of people missed the part at the top of my post where I said this is not to tell others what to do. Its what I did after conversation with my Doctor. Basically he told me the best way to lower risk is to stay away from people. Indoors the risk is much higher, but it is not zero outside. The chance of walking through a sneeze cloud outdoors while on a golf course or tailgating someone in a cart on the multimodal is very low, but is not zero. The chance of your golf ball rolling thru sneeze droplets on a green is also low, but entirely possible. I am a face toucher, I do it all the time and find it very hard to stop.

I read about a case the CDC traced, where they couldn't find any contact with infected individual. Then they found video of the guy sitting on a bench outside, then went back an hour and saw a known carrier sitting in same bench. Not sure if he licked his hands or what but it scared me.

I'm not mad at anyone who still plays golf, they are not endangering me because I'm not going near anyone anyway and I think it is relatively safe activity. Just decided to follow my Doctors advice, and reduce any activity where there are people.

It's a sad situation.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:03 AM

Had our pandemic task force been kept in place and the warnings that this was coming a few years ago, this epidemic could have been kept to a minimum. Chinese people are lovely and should not be burdened with any kind of blame. It's their government that hides things. Our intelligence warned us, but it fell on deaf ears.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfoster69@aol.com View Post
I agree with what your saying, however, what about the delivery person or products having something on it. We touch the item then it’s on our hands and who knows where else we spread it.....stay safe as possible....
I use Walmart pickup, they put it in the trunk and I am gone. When I get home I unpack the stuff, spray it all with 70% alcohol, wait 20 minutes then wash it all with soap and water. Wash my hands several times, spray anything I've touched with alcohol.
Closed Thread

Tags
risk, virus, golf, low, doctor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.