Why I stopped playing golf

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 10:47 AM
Thumbs down Inappropriate

We can do without the vulgar remarks. Very inappropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I only play with myself ! Uuuu, that didn’t come out right!
Old 04-05-2020, 10:49 AM
Default Still golfing?

Why is anyone still playing golf!! The healthcare workers are pleading with folks to stay home. They are literally putting their lives on the line to treat the very sick, and so many of you can't even stay off the golf course.
Shameful and selfish
It is not only you that is affected if you should become ill.
This Florida governor is going to cause the entire countries ability to heal to be delayed, due to his inadequacies. All the kids at spring break, and all the snowbirds at the Villages will be going home to other parts of the country and this illness will go on and on for months because of tens of thousands of thoughtless people
Old 04-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hospes444 View Post
Why is anyone still playing golf!! The healthcare workers are pleading with folks to stay home. They are literally putting their lives on the line to treat the very sick, and so many of you can't even stay off the golf course.
Shameful and selfish
This Florida governor is going to cause the entire countries ability to heal to be delayed, due to his inadequacies. All the kids at spring break, and all the snowbirds at the Villages will be going home to other parts of the country and this illness will go on and on for months because of tens of thousands of thoughtless people
…...in your OPINION
Old 04-05-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Its so sad what life is like right now. I watch movies and see people kissing, hugging, touching, licking their fingers and I think nooooooo, then realize that was a different reality. Its so bizarre.

Chinese government has blood on their hands, hiding the severity of the outbreak until too late and 5 million people traveled out of Wuhan and spread this crap all over the world. I like Chinese people, but their predilection for filthy wet markets that are proven to breed viruses has got too stop, but it won't, they are already re opening them.
Did you know there are wet markets in the good ol’ USA? Yep....in NYC for example, and we have bats...lots of them...just sayin’...China is NOT the only issue...
Old 04-05-2020, 11:02 AM
Lightbulb Doing only what the law requires is what got us into this disaster

Experts tell White House virus can spread through talking or even just breathing

A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.

Fineberg told CNN that he will wear start wearing a mask when he goes to the grocery store.

Coronavirus can spread through talking or breathing, prestigious panel tells White House

Based on what I have seen of villagers ignoring guidelines, I predict more than 1000 cases confirmed here sometime in April. White House will probably recommend some kind of mask when going out to shop etc. I agree, this stuff is more contagious than thought.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:04 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRicaS View Post
Did you know there are wet markets in the good ol’ USA? Yep....in NYC for example, and we have bats...lots of them...just sayin’...China is NOT the only issue...
Watch this video and get back to us

How The Virus Got Out (c) NYT - YouTube
Old 04-05-2020, 11:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Pine View Post
Experts tell White House virus can spread through talking or even just breathing

A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.

Fineberg told CNN that he will wear start wearing a mask when he goes to the grocery store.

Coronavirus can spread through talking or breathing, prestigious panel tells White House

Based on what I have seen of villagers ignoring guidelines, I predict more than 1000 cases confirmed here sometime in April. White House will probably recommend some kind of mask when going out to shop etc. I agree, this stuff is more contagious than thought.
And it probably is.

Please don't get the wrong idea from many of my posts. This pandemic IS serious and everybody should be extremely careful. Everybody should follow the law and engage only in permitted activities, and everyone is free to exceed the restrictions. I have defended golf because it is a low risk activity, in fact lower risk than many other things Villagers are doing every day. There is NOTHING anyone can do to make their risk zero. My objections are against those that want to dictate their choice of exceeding the restrictions to everyone else, and those that call anyone not doing what they are doing idiots, selfish, and entitled.

People are dying and that sucks. People are mortal and that sort of sucks as well. However, this is not the end of civilization as we know it (although it is rapidly becoming the end of civility---and I'm as guilty as the next person, sorry.)

But here are some numbers to ponder:

Since the first case appeared in China on November 17th, 140 days have passed and 66,560 people have died. Deaths from all other causes, worldwide, average 153,400 PER DAY or 21,476,000 since Nov 17. This is not wiping out the human race. Cases are increasing in some parts of the world and decreasing in other. It will end, sooner or later.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:53 AM

Must it turn to politics, ALL OF THE TIME????
Old 04-05-2020, 11:55 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default The Decontamination Chamber

I just edited out this post of mine because it was on the topic of handling incoming groceries -- not about to golf or not to golf -- so I moved it to a different thread.

Last edited by Boomer; 04-05-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-05-2020, 12:01 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Mental health experts will tell you stress and anxiety can have a huge effect on your health. We all have different thresholds when it comes to stress. Some will lock themselves down completely and stay in their home almost like hermits. Others might sit on their lanai’s or front porch, others will walk, bike and some will play golf or take a golf cart ride. In short, we are all different. The important thing is to “social distance”, wash your hands often for your sake and for the sake of your friends and neighbors. Use common sense and we will get though this together. There will be plenty of time weeks and months down the road to place “blame”discuss the politics of this and argue where errors were made and how our country could have done better with this pandemic. We will undoubtedly face additional viruses in the future and hopefully learn from this one.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hospes444 View Post
Shameful and selfish
Well, hell, that’s an improvement; someone damning the Gov and not The Developers.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Note: I normally play golf 4-5 times a week, love the game, am very skilled at it, and it's my main form of entertainment/exercise. This is not meant to tell others what to do.

So a couple of weeks ago I had an appointment with my Cardiologist. It was routine, nothing major going on. My Doctor is also an avid golfer, so I asked him if he was still playing. He said no, not worth the risk, even if very small. He explained to me that the virus was very contagious, and even though golf is a low risk activity, its catchable almost anywhere. But Doc, I said, I play by myself, not in a group, I wear golf gloves on both hands!

Yes I understand he said, its low risk but not zero risk. You could walk thru a sneeze cloud of infected individual a minute or two after. An infected individual could sneeze on the tee box or green in a group in front of you. Your ball picks up virus, gets on your gloves, you scratch your forehead, you are sweating, virus rolls down to your eyes, nose, mouth. Yes risk is minimal, but not even close to zero. Doctor basically told me to avoid all contact with people, get delivery or pickup of groceries, and lower all risks.

I've read many first person accounts of this virus, from people 20-30 year younger than me, and its like the flu on steroids. I hate even the regular flu, so I don't want this.

So I'm Howard Hughes now. Stay safe
Yet, This REALLY SAFE Doc was still seeing patients for ROUTINE Ckups. hmmmm???? I will continue to golf as I just bet it is a helluva lot less risky than this Doc's activity. But based on this post, I am upping my game in terms of safety: Mask while playing, sanitize the ball after every hole, and then my hands. As far as walking through a previously aerosol infected spray. Well, I may be taking that risk every time I walk out of my house or around my neighborhood. I am not going to stop living while I am still breathing, but I will take as many sensible precautions as possible. Lack of exercise is a killer too...just not as fast.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagelee View Post
Yet, This REALLY SAFE Doc was still seeing patients for ROUTINE Ckups. hmmmm???? I will continue to golf as I just bet it is a helluva lot less risky than this Doc's activity. But based on this post, I am upping my game in terms of safety: Mask while playing, sanitize the ball after every hole, and then my hands. As far as walking through a previously aerosol infected spray. Well, I may be taking that risk every time I walk out of my house or around my neighborhood. I am not going to stop living while I am still breathing, but I will take as many sensible precautions as possible. Lack of exercise is a killer too...just not as fast.
Interesting point. The Villages Health has gone strictly to telemedicine. Of course, I played golf today with my doctor and his associate, so I guess it's a net wash on that front
Old 04-05-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyLife View Post
Totally agree with you & your doctor. People just don’t ever think it will happen to them. This killer is unknown, lethal, silent, invisible. Stay at home folks, for the sake of everyone.
yet this doctor is still seeing patients for ROUTINE Checkups. Don't you think that speaks volumes about his doctors advise?
Old 04-05-2020, 12:27 PM

Living is dangerous to your health.
Closed Thread

Tags
risk, virus, golf, low, doctor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.