Why I stopped playing golf

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 12:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagelee View Post
yet this doctor is still seeing patients for ROUTINE Checkups. Don't you think that speaks volumes about his doctors advise?
My appt was March 17, I think March 18 was date of first case in Sumter county. Had to go in so they could read my pacemaker. On March 17 there were only about 200 confirmed cases in Florida, most of them in Miami, Palm Beach.

Now of course all appts are by phone unless emergency

PS Its advice, not advise

Last edited by GoodLife; 04-05-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:07 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
My appt was March 17, I think March 18 was date of first case in Sumter county. Had to go in so they could read my pacemaker. On March 17 there were only 62 confirmed cases in Florida, most of them in Miami, Palm Beach.

Now of course all appts are by phone unless emergency

PS Its advice, not advise

Oh, GoodLife, I have been wanting to tell people that for years, along with advising on getting their/there/they're straight, as well as your/you're. But I thought handing out unsolicited advice might make me sound like their old English teacher. So there you have it. Now, they're probably all mad at me.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Oh, GoodLife, I have been wanting to tell people that for years, along with advising on getting their/there/they're straight, as well as your/you're. But I thought handing out unsolicited advice might make me sound like their old English teacher. So there you have it. Now, they're probably all mad at me.
Mom was an English teacher. I only do spellcheck on comments that are snarky, mean, or just plain stupid.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:28 PM

Could not have said it better myself
Old 04-05-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
I understand your concerns. I continue to play on the execs. I walk and carry sanitizer for myself and bleach wipes that I use whenever I touch a ball. Since I walk, when our group plays a scramble format, I usually go retrieve balls that aren’t being used on that hole, using a bleach wipe to pick them up and deliver them to their owner “never touched by human hands”. I also use the wipes on ball markers, tees, etc. It’s a bit of a pain, but it allows me to be out of the house.

The group I play with has been good at keeping distance, although old habits do die hard. But a quick reminder if someone starts to encroach works.

Stay safe. I may be joining you in house arrest if the spousal unit demands.
Wonder if, by quirk of fate, you picked up a golf ball with a sanitizer sheet and, while doing that, the virus--which can become aerosolized , is released into the air in front of you and it STILL gets to your face. There are so many possibilities of running into this or any virus, really, that -- if you really like living-- one would not even "think" of taking a chance.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:40 PM
Default Umm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
All that good protection is meaningless if someone sneezes 6 feet in front of you or behind you or to the left or right of you assuming no one is "encroaching" 2-3 feet away and the wind is blowing in your direction unless you plan on gargling or snorting the bleach. Remember, MANY people are Asymptomatic or PREsymptomatic. You never know where you "friends" may have been and picked up something unless you trace their movement (as in travel/shopping) history over the last 5 or 6 days before "the sneeze." Unless you are wearing a medical grade mask you could be SOL.
Oh, and glasses to cover the eye membranes which love to pick up things on their own.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:47 PM

I just don't get it, what is golf like an addiction--you can't live without it???? Well, be careful because you may not be able to live WITH IT if you continue playing. Be safe and stay home.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:00 PM
Default New Golf Payment Procedure

So, no phone number was listed to call in and do the $ 20 monthly payment for Exec Trail Fee. It said you get the phone number from the Starter Shack??? Why wasn't a phone number listed in the Release from the folks overseeing this process???
Old 04-05-2020, 02:09 PM
Smile Hmm

"With great respect, just because people are following the law does not mean they are safe, or that they aren't spreading this virus. Intelligent experts are telling us the only way to contain the spread is to STAY AWAY FROM OTHER PEOPLE."

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And that is what people who participate in the list of approved activities are doing---social distancing---you DO NOT need to hide under your bed to stay away from people[/COLOR]

I see a few points to ponder here: 1) The OP is saying, IMHO, that there are ways to still be with people without blindly following advice. If you do follow the advice that the governor said (regardless of where the advice originally came from), and you think you understand that golfing, for example, MIGHT be an occasion where one COULD fall prey to the virus, you MAY choose not to golf. That would be your own personal choice. 2) The responder in green whom I quoted, may not like to have his/her choice of activity questioned. One ought to allow for free choice NO MATTER WHAT a person chooses to do. BUT, if it ends up affecting others terribly, that person will be answering...at a later time... to Someone who does know how all people will get affected. 3) Telling someone not to confront them with their differing opinion [ and it's just that: Opinion] is non-productive.

Let's all remember that there are so FEW things in life that humans have control over, we ought not believe we can control the virus.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:19 PM
Default Sorry Maxsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsan View Post
So many people with so much knowledge. No golf, then don’t go to a grocery store, don’t go for a cart ride, don’t walk down the street, don’t pump gas, don’t bike ride, don’t go to a doctors office, don’t receive packages, don’t pick up your mail, don’t breathe! Let’s face facts, we don’t really know how this disease is carried....by sneezing, by touch, by simply breathing. We don’t know how to treat, we can only treat the symptoms and wait to see if the body can fight it off.
This is what "they " call reductio ad absurdum. That means lumping all examples into one giant bunch...AS IF they are all equally true. In effect, that makes a person's argument ridiculous (able to be ridiculed, made fun of, placed below other more meaningful ideas.) Plus it is usually meant to STOP discussion dead in its tracks.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:26 PM
Default Umm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I know of three doctors that are playing golf once a week.......I only mention that because not all doctors agree on much of what's going on. Believe what makes you happy and keeps you safe. Now, of course, you can start the replies of those "hacks" that call themselves doctors or how those doctors up north would never play golf during this thing.
Umm, Pennsylvania is Up North.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Wonder if, by quirk of fate, you picked up a golf ball with a sanitizer sheet and, while doing that, the virus--which can become aerosolized , is released into the air in front of you and it STILL gets to your face. There are so many possibilities of running into this or any virus, really, that -- if you really like living-- one would not even "think" of taking a chance.
Wow. Any virus? Even those we have vaccines for? First, to be aerosolized, there has to be more impetus than placing a cloth over the ball, and the cloth is dripping with bleach.

Please. Outside activities have been approved with reasonable restrictions by many epidemiologists currently working this pandemic. I am following all the recommendations promulgated by medical and governmental officials. If you wish to go beyond, that is your prerogative. I am inside my home except for groceries and I am restricting my golf to a small circle of friends who are also following those guidelines.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=dougjb;1740498]There are many who share the blame if one is to assign blame to a natural event. Our great intelligence community, if it had not been eviscerated under the current administration, could very well have identified the issue early on. Just another missed opportunity.

As for Chinese wet markets, why not visit one of our slaughterhouses. I think the experience might very well turn the visitor into a vegetarian.

Let's just not assign blame until we look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we or our government did all that was possible. When this event passes, we might be well served by an investigatory commission to see where not only others failed, but where we failed.[/QUOTE

LMAO. In his first paragraph Doug blames "the current administration" then in his last paragraph he says "Let's not assign blame..." Keep your politics off this forum.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:46 PM

There is plenty of blame to go around, if you think our country was quick to respond you definitely do not have the facts.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The governor has issued a statewide stay at home order that is very specific concerning which businesses may stay open and which activities are permitted. This carries force of law and should be obeyed by all citizens.

Those people who go to the grocery store or pharmacy, and those people who go cycling, golfing, walking and fishing are FOLLOWING THE LAW---Get off their cases!

There appears to be a subset of Villagers who are separating themselves into some kind of uber-class coronavirus crusaders. They are EXCEEDING the requirements of the executive order by limiting their activity beyond the scope of the order, whether out of paranoia or ignorance, while some are going around and taking photos of their neighbors who might be violating the order.

It's perfectly fine to stay home, but it doesn't make you MORE law abiding, compassionate, caring and smarter than those that are also following the law. And it certainly doesn't entitle you to call those people idiots, selfish or entitled
The governor made the law. He is no medical expert like Dr Fauci is. If the governor would follow Dr Fauci’s advice there would be no extra activities such as golf or gathering at churches. So you can follow the letter of the law but then who do you blame if you come down with the virus? The government? Yourself? Do what you want but if you get the virus I wish you well and hope it does not become too serious for you. It’s not the flu. Good luck to you.
Closed Thread

Tags
risk, virus, golf, low, doctor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.