Why I stopped playing golf

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I too still see people out on the golf courses hitting the little white ball around, and justifying to themselves that they are perfectly safe.

Reminds me of my older brother who couldn't stop smoking until he had a heart attack at age 73 (and already had COPD)

addiction is a funny thing...once you're hooked it's tough to take control back
Old 04-05-2020, 09:30 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The governor has issued a statewide stay at home order that is very specific concerning which businesses may stay open and which activities are permitted. This carries force of law and should be obeyed by all citizens.

Those people who go to the grocery store or pharmacy, and those people who go cycling, golfing, walking and fishing are FOLLOWING THE LAW---Get off their cases!

There appears to be a subset of Villagers who are separating themselves into some kind of uber-class coronavirus crusaders. They are EXCEEDING the requirements of the executive order by limiting their activity beyond the scope of the order, whether out of paranoia or ignorance, while some are going around and taking photos of their neighbors who might be violating the order.

It's perfectly fine to stay home, but it doesn't make you MORE law abiding, compassionate, caring and smarter than those that are also following the law. And it certainly doesn't entitle you to call those people idiots, selfish or entitled
Up to the point of your comment in this thread, no one said anything about who is more law abiding and I did not see any name calling. All I see are people sharing their concerns and views about how they are protecting themselves.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugsmom View Post
There is a risk no matter what you do or where you go. The risk of somebody sneezing and it being airborne outside on the golf course and hitting me in the face and then sweating and rolling down into my eyes or mouth…… wow! Do you have a better chance of dying driving in your car. The flu has killed 20,000 people a year and we didn’t have this paranoia.
And the reason we didn't have this "paranoia" which medical authorities might call prudence, is that Covid is not the flu, despite what some talking heads may have told you. If you have not been following the situation in NYC it would behoove you to see what is happening there. I 100% guarantee you that the flu went through NYC this winter. Did it fill ICU's to the point of running out of beds, and vents, and PPE?

Did flu fill ER's with nothing but flu patients who were seriously or critically ill? No it did not. And while you may be saying, well that's just NYC. It's different. And you'd be wrong, IMO. NYC and any large city is at higher risk due to crowding. Which explains all those people who died after a funeral in rural Georgia.. Which explains all those sickened by a choir practice in the Northwest.. Which explains all those people dying in Lombardi Italy which is not a densely populated urban center...

Covid is not the flu, nor just a "strong flu" It is a unique killing machine which without intervention likely would have killed millions of Americans. I can't prove that number, I am just using what happened in NYC and elsewhere as a barometer of its lethality.

Do you think that people on a cruise ship are really any more crowded together than people in a restaurant or at the squares? The rapidity with which this changed from "we have it well contained" to everybody consider wearing a mask might give you a clue that even in people who used to think this was not a problem .. even they have finally seen enough to stop saying this is just a flu. If you give yourself an A+ for only having 250,000 Americans die, this is a bigly serious pandemic.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:34 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Reading all these replies, I think a lot of people missed the part at the top of my post where I said this is not to tell others what to do. Its what I did after conversation with my Doctor. Basically he told me the best way to lower risk is to stay away from people. Indoors the risk is much higher, but it is not zero outside. The chance of walking through a sneeze cloud outdoors while on a golf course or tailgating someone in a cart on the multimodal is very low, but is not zero. The chance of your golf ball rolling thru sneeze droplets on a green is also low, but entirely possible. I am a face toucher, I do it all the time and find it very hard to stop.

I read about a case the CDC traced, where they couldn't find any contact with infected individual. Then they found video of the guy sitting on a bench outside, then went back an hour and saw a known carrier sitting in same bench. Not sure if he licked his hands or what but it scared me.

I'm not mad at anyone who still plays golf, they are not endangering me because I'm not going near anyone anyway and I think it is relatively safe activity. Just decided to follow my Doctors advice, and reduce any activity where there are people.

It's a sad situation.
It was nothing you said. The thread was going fine with civil remarks and views until one person went off the rails and then the whole thread came tumbling down.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

I know of three doctors that are playing golf once a week.......I only mention that because not all doctors agree on much of what's going on. Believe what makes you happy and keeps you safe. Now, of course, you can start the replies of those "hacks" that call themselves doctors or how those doctors up north would never play golf during this thing.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-05-2020, 09:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcooper70 View Post
The entire point of the sneeze cloud is real ... but it is limited to being in a closed environment and relevant to a doctor being in a room where a patient sneezes. It does not apply to outdoor activities. To imply there is risk to playing golf without touching anyone else's "stuff" ... irresponsible?
Can you show us the science that a sneeze cloud can only exist indoors? I assure you if an infected person sneezes on or near you outdoors you can be infected. Give it a try if you don't believe it.

Sneeze droplets won't hang in the air outside as long as indoors, so they fall to the ground faster, but the virus will still be viable on the grass for a few hours. Sun doesn't kill it.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Sometimes staying isolated has it's downfalls.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-05-2020, 09:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Sometimes staying isolated has it's downfalls.

The Villages Florida
What? Me worry?

gettyimages-515543846-594x594-jpg
Old 04-05-2020, 09:59 AM
Default You Betcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlentj@gmail.com View Post
even our genius Dr said in March, he didn’t see a problem arising out of this. but, then nobody knew much about it. i assume our government took his lead since he is the expert, even tho they did stop travel, thank goodness. but blame, ? i don’t think there should ever be any blame on any individual here, it’s all China’s fault.
Even a lot of Chinese are blaming their government for the spread calling it the CCP Virus (Chinese Communist Party). The CCP not only are lying to their own population and the world about it, they are using it to try to gain political and economic advantage in Europe and South America. Nobody in the USA is to blame for this. In January, we had very limited information to go on. We still don't have a clear understanding of how it's spread, and how easily it's contracted. We don't know for sure if those who recover from it have immunity -- it appears some people are getting re-infected. The list of what we don't know is long. Right now looking to blame anyone outside of Beijing is aiding the CCP's propaganda machine.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:12 AM
Veteran member
Default Totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpygreens View Post
Even a lot of Chinese are blaming their government for the spread calling it the CCP Virus (Chinese Communist Party). The CCP not only are lying to their own population and the world about it, they are using it to try to gain political and economic advantage in Europe and South America. Nobody in the USA is to blame for this. In January, we had very limited information to go on. We still don't have a clear understanding of how it's spread, and how easily it's contracted. We don't know for sure if those who recover from it have immunity -- it appears some people are getting re-infected. The list of what we don't know is long. Right now looking to blame anyone outside of Beijing is aiding the CCP's propaganda machine.
I totally agree with you, this virus started in China or by the Chinese government and they must be held to account by the whole world once this nightmare is over. ☠️
Stay safe everyone and continue to avoid coming within 6 feet of one another, whatever activities you undertake. 👍
Risking your own life is your right, risking someone else’s life is not your right 👿
Old 04-05-2020, 10:20 AM
Smile Thank you

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
note: I normally play golf 4-5 times a week, love the game, am very skilled at it, and it's my main form of entertainment/exercise. This is not meant to tell others what to do.

So a couple of weeks ago i had an appointment with my cardiologist. It was routine, nothing major going on. My doctor is also an avid golfer, so i asked him if he was still playing. He said no, not worth the risk, even if very small. He explained to me that the virus was very contagious, and even though golf is a low risk activity, its catchable almost anywhere. But doc, i said, i play by myself, not in a group, i wear golf gloves on both hands!

Yes i understand he said, its low risk but not zero risk. You could walk thru a sneeze cloud of infected individual a minute or two after. An infected individual could sneeze on the tee box or green in a group in front of you. Your ball picks up virus, gets on your gloves, you scratch your forehead, you are sweating, virus rolls down to your eyes, nose, mouth. Yes risk is minimal, but not even close to zero. Doctor basically told me to avoid all contact with people, get delivery or pickup of groceries, and lower all risks.

I've read many first person accounts of this virus, from people 20-30 year younger than me, and its like the flu on steroids. I hate even the regular flu, so i don't want this.

So i'm howard hughes now. Stay safe
Old 04-05-2020, 10:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcooper70 View Post
The entire point of the sneeze cloud is real ... but it is limited to being in a closed environment and relevant to a doctor being in a room where a patient sneezes. It does not apply to outdoor activities. To imply there is risk to playing golf without touching anyone else's "stuff" ... irresponsible?
This is how the virus is spread. Mis-information that lead people to believe that their activities can not spread it. To say that a sneeze does not put the virus into the air which can then be taken in by another person, simply because you are on a golf course is irresponsible. Not just innacurate - irresponsible.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:38 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
What? Me worry?

Attachment 83531
ROFLMAO !
Old 04-05-2020, 10:39 AM
You could take a kind tone. No one is shouting in anger against others like you. They are wise people, like the gentleman whose DOCTOR informed him about how extremely contagious this is and advised him to take more precautions than the law advises. Throughout the U.S. - following the law in previous weeks on in this pandemic - we were advised not to wear masks, fine to keep meeting in groups of 10 or less, etc. - That advice from the gov't is what got us to where we are today with the pandemic torching across America and killing thousands. Every week scientists are learning more about this deadly virus. The DOCTORS and SCIENTISTS are telling us to stay ahead of this...not just do the bare minimum. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the people on this forum urging others to be steps ahead of what the gov't tells us - and - it is careless and selfish of others to put the rest of us at risk - especially in The Villages with such a susceptible population. It's not going to kill people to lay off golf for a few weeks. But the virus can kill many more from just the one person who contracted it by playing golf.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
Up to the point of your comment in this thread, no one said anything about who is more law abiding and I did not see any name calling. All I see are people sharing their concerns and views about how they are protecting themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
It was nothing you said. The thread was going fine with civil remarks and views until one person went off the rails and then the whole thread came tumbling down.
Wait a minute---you think people calling golfers, who are following the law, selfish idiots and entitled is civil?
Closed Thread

Tags
risk, virus, golf, low, doctor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.