Why I think The Villages is so great.

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2017, 09:27 AM
Sage

I think it would be more correct to say "no additional cost" as opposed to "free" ;-) I find there is some variation in the conditions of the executive courses; some are in great shape, others not so much. For example, Volusia was in beautiful shape after it reopened after the closure caused by Irma. If people would fix their ballmarks I believe it would help the conditions of the greens. You certainly can't fault The Villages for the shape of the courses when players don't take care of the courses.

Some of the executive courses are interesting from the black tees and very enjoyable. For example, I really enjoy playing Pelican. I don't believe it is fair to say that The Villages "does not do golf well". I can't speak for the championship courses, as I don't play them all that often, but the system of executive courses is pretty well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
You can't possibly believe that the golf is actually free. We pay for it every month with our amenity fee. Additionally, the golf we pay for (Championship Courses) is not that great either. Many residents go outside The Villages to pay less money for better courses.

Sorry, but The Villages just does not do golf well.

Last edited by biker1; 10-15-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:33 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

It seems to me playing executive courses is a bargain for those who do so. Don't their operational and maintenance costs come out of the general till which is supported by all homeowners, whether they play golf or not and whether if they do play are present in The Villages to play?

That's pretty close to "free" IMHO!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 10-15-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:45 PM

"Yes the Villages is a clean and beautiful place. Is it Shangra Li, No, is it Utopia, No."

When is comes down to it, no place is perfect and you are correct. As talked about in another thread it is about value and what utopia means to each person. We are not moving here for golf, but l may learn someday and that may be an added value. But you can be as active as you want and having the town squares adds to the value for our lives. We are moving to Fenny and reading the posts, does not have value to a lot of people TV may not be perfect but it is perfect for us and many others.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:02 PM
fw102807

I like cleanliness and regulations and order and I gladly adhere to the rules that provide it.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I like the free give and take of opinions on TOTV'S. We love the feeling of safety. Slept without either gun loaded the other night. First time in 30 years. We can't get to the point of leaving the car unlocked. We just love it here and have to get used to the differences from our old home. Nothing here is going to change or should change. We have to change. It's a process. I love regulations also.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:39 PM

So nice to read praise. We feel the same way
Old 10-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think the place we chose for these years of our lives is the best run place we have ever lived.

I like CLEAN. The streets and common areas are kept to a very high standard and it is not common to find trash just lying around.

I like well maintained. The homes and yards show me that most people who live here have pride in their homes and possessions and keep them painted and the lawns trimmed and all together it gives the appearance of people who are proud and happy to be here.

I love that in these years that I have time, I can use it here in The Villages to learn skills in areas not worked in before. I have so enjoyed color pencil painting, water color, acrylics, crafts, and ceramics. I have been a golfer for the last 45 years and the opportunity to play everyday if I want is here at far less the cost than in our previous life.

Many of our friends are much more athletic and I see them biking, playing pickleball and tennis and going to yoga, water aerobics and bone builders. (I tried bone builders and it isn't for sissies)

I love the beautiful recreation centers, each decorated with really fine furnishings and finishes. Not at all what anyone could expect or hope for, for an amenity fee of about $145 a month.

I suspect that the Morse family, now Mark Jennifer and Tracy, are still instilling the values of hard work, careful deals, and amazing planning into their children. They must also be teaching them to hire the expertise they don't have and to make the most of what they do have and not give things away. Always the basis of good business. Selling for market value and using your own sales force is good business, NOT greed.

Their business plan has earned them, and us, the title of living in the most sought after area for seniors in The United States.

I am very proud to live here and be a villager. I am proud of the Free Enterprise that is the basis of the business running this place.

I am proud of the overwhelming wisdom of most of the inhabitants of this place and the ethics of most of them that keep this place very low crime.

I am pleased with the law enforcement agencies that combine to protect and guard us.

I do not, have never, and do not plan to work for The Villages. I have NEVER met Mark, Tracy or Jennifer of the Morse family. I just love it here and think it is run well.

Enough with the P.M.s.

Have I forgotten some wonderful things about this amazing place? Please add them.

Great Post, I agree with everything you wrote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
You can't possibly believe that the golf is actually free. We pay for it every month with our amenity fee. Additionally, the golf we pay for (Championship Courses) is not that great either. Many residents go outside The Villages to pay less money for better courses.

Sorry, but The Villages just does not do golf well.
Now if you could just provide an apple to apple compairson instead of the apples to oranges comparison.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-15-2017, 09:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I like the free give and take of opinions on TOTV'S. We love the feeling of safety. Slept without either gun loaded the other night. First time in 30 years. We can't get to the point of leaving the car unlocked. We just love it here and have to get used to the differences from our old home. Nothing here is going to change or should change. We have to change. It's a process. I love regulations also.
Are you from Iraq or Chicago?
Old 10-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
You can't possibly believe that the golf is actually free. We pay for it every month with our amenity fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
It seems to me playing executive courses is a bargain for those who do so. Don't their operational and maintenance costs come out of the general till which is supported by all homeowners, whether they play golf or not and whether if they do play are present in The Villages to play? That's pretty close to "free" IMHO!
Good reply!
Old 10-16-2017, 03:23 AM

Very well said. I always love your posts. I, as well as a lot of Villagers, am very happy to have someone so positive.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I like cleanliness and regulations and order and I gladly adhere to the rules that provide it.
yes!!
Old 10-16-2017, 01:27 PM
TOTV Moderator

Some posts have been removed that were off topic. Discussion of golf course conditions can be done in that forum.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:17 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Lots of golf. Don't need a car. Everything is kept beautiful. People are so friendly!
Closed Thread

Tags
place, proud, love, years, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.