Why no cement lining the paths south of 44?

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2022, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
I'll point out also the older areas of The Villages are benefiting from relatively lower property taxes given the inflation in prices for the newer homes. A new home buyer could be paying more than double the property tax of a similar home purchased more than 10 (maybe 5) years ago - that's life.
Apparently you are not aware of the 25% property tax increase to Sumpter County homeowners that was necessitated by the infrastructure needs created by all the newer homes referenced in your post. Also, you apparently are not aware that all homes in Sumter County, regardless of when they were purchased, were recently reassessed to reflect current market values for tax calculations.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Properties are reassessed each year anyway. If you are homesteaded, there is a limit to how much the assessed value can increase because of the Save Our Homes law (about 3% or the CPI, whichever is lower). If you are homesteaded, the market value is not what your taxes are based on. They are based on the assessed value. Some of the 25% tax increase has been reduced the last 2 years. Also, the 25% increase was on the County Tax only, not the School Tax or the line items for fire and maintenance. The net effect was more like a total of about a 12% increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Apparently you are not aware of the 25% property tax increase to Sumpter County homeowners that was necessitated by the infrastructure needs created by all the newer homes referenced in your post. Also, you apparently are not aware that all homes in Sumter County, regardless of when they were purchased, were recently reassessed to reflect current market values for tax calculations.

Last edited by tuccillo; 12-06-2022 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Apparently you are not aware of the 25% property tax increase to Sumpter County homeowners
No, we are not aware of that tax increase. Our property tax was less than last year.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Our MM Paths north of 44 have cement "ribbons" lining each side of the paths. This cement prevents the grass from invading the asphalt and gives the landscapers a sharp edge to keep the grass edged.

I personally have not driven on the cart paths south of 44 but my sister routinely takes a ride in her golf cart on Sundays south of 44. She has noticed that the paths down south do not have the cement "ribbon" along the sides of the asphalt. Without this ribbon of cement, the grass has invaded the asphalt and she told me those paths look awful.

Infrastructure on the cheap is what is happening down south. Too bad.
Never paid attention, but at least the path from Monarch Grove to Everglades to the Turnpike bridge to has curbing..

Last edited by Altavia; 12-06-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
No, we are not aware of that tax increase. Our property tax was less than last year.
Thanks to the county investing in infrastructure that creates thousands of jobs and results in adding over two billion dollars of new homes each year to the tax base which keeps taxes low for all.

Last edited by Altavia; 12-07-2022 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Thanks to the country investing in infrastructure that creates thousands of jobs and results in adding over two billion dollars of new homes each year to the tax base which keeps taxes low for all.
Yeah, if you say so. We don't think that deeply.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Appears that the sister doesn't live there, either...
It is very interesting how much of a hornets' nest can be stirred up by someone citing a second hand account of something that "looks terrible." Here we are, on page 8 of commentary because of something the original poster hasn't actually seen. Amazing.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,018 Times in 525 Posts
Default Hater Post

Just another, “Hate everything south of 44” post…lol. Turnpike noises, new changes etc…

“Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see further.” Thomas Carlyle
Old 12-07-2022, 06:39 AM

We will be paying for the repairs down south here sooner than later with all the people parking in the grass every day/night at Sawgrass Grove. There is plenty of parking in the parking lot. Drive by some evening and you will see the parking lot for golf carts is empty and the parking in the grass off the MM path in front of Sawgrass will be full. This is going to lead to grass replacement and repaving of the MM path as the edges of the path deteriorate. Don Wiley hit it right on the head in his last video as to the reason people are parking there. Keep up the great work Don.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:28 AM

Excellent info!
Old 12-07-2022, 07:58 AM

Just noticed on much of Buena Vista there is no cement curbing. The grass is not growing over like a jungle and the side of the roadway seems to be in good shape. Just asking if this is really a big issue. I would guess that both Buena Vista and Morse Blvd both are much more traveled by vehicles than any MM path. Is this just another false issue for some to complain about like striping the MM path so people can see but they have no issue driving on streets that are not striped on the sides or striped at all in neighborhoods. The issue of grass growing over path in the picture is an issue that should be brought up to the landscaping crews.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
the path from Monarch Grove to Everglades to the Turnpike bridge to has curbing..
Yeah, and I hate it!

My wife and I often walk around Hogeye Sink, which means we have to walk along that section of the MMP. We walk single file and facing oncoming golf cart traffic, and we get off the MMP when golf carts come along. That means we have to step over the hated concrete curb and, since my balance is not too good, I am always afraid of tripping on it.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, and I hate it!

My wife and I often walk around Hogeye Sink, which means we have to walk along that section of the MMP. We walk single file and facing oncoming golf cart traffic, and we get off the MMP when golf carts come along. That means we have to step over the hated concrete curb and, since my balance is not too good, I am always afraid of tripping on it.
Where along the MMP, specifically, is the concrete curbing raised above the level of the blacktop? Except for tunnels and roundabouts, all the MMP ribbon I can remember is flush with the surface.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-07-2022, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, and I hate it!

The issue I brought up in my original post is not about curbs that are higher than the asphalt. My original issue is with the concrete ribbon that lines the paths on both sides. Those ribbons are the same height as the asphalt. It is there to protect the asphalt from degrading and breaking off. It is also nice to have so the landscapers can keep a nice sharp edge along the paths.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Where along the MMP, specifically, is the concrete curbing raised above the level of the blacktop?
Since you are riding in a golf cart, you may not see the places where the concrete curbing is not exactly even with the blacktop. It doesn't take much of a difference to make me trip.
Closed Thread

Tags
paths, cement, south, grass, asphalt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.