Why no dairy queen

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM

There's a DQ in Mt. Dora.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Gold member

I was in both of them. Both were poorly managed. As I remember no adults to be seen all employees looked like high school kids that did not want to be there.

As for the high rent theory. Both were not owned and leased by The Villages and went up for sale right after they closed. The one in front of Ace Hardware on 466 is still for sale and the one on 441/27 has changed hands a couple of times. The one that is still for sale on 466 is not for sale by The Villages. If it were it would not have the weeds around it that are there. I don't believe the Morse family leased out either one. They perhaps sold the land. The same was where IHOP is it was a Barb Q place that went out of business and then went up for sale and was empty for some time before IHOP purchased it.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Default DQ

Actually, there has been some work being done on the building on 466.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyvillager View Post
Actually, there has been some work being done on the building on 466.
Good perhaps it has been sold.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:45 PM

Try Ollie's. We like it better.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I was thinking about DQ today and my mouth was watering for one of their soft ice creams. Do any of you out there prefer soft serve "real" ice cream to hard ice cream? Maybe there are no soft serve stands here because the older crowd wants hard ice cream?? If you would like to see a good soft serve I cream stand here please reply! I would love one.....not a High Five or another Peach Wave. The real rich, creamy swirl ice cream.
I vote for hard ice cream. Nothing is as good as Stewarts ice cream in the northeast!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Whenever we go to Ocala, either the Paddock Mall or Dick's Sporting Goods, off I-75 about halfway is Exit 341. It's only about 15 miles from TV, so I don't know why their website didn't list it. The DQ is in the Pilot Gas Station, it's the opposite side of the Don Garlit's Race Museum. They call it a truck stop but it's no bigger than a Race Track Station. They have a Wendy's and a DQ inside the bulding.

The other time I usually get DQ is when we go to Orlando to the Florida Mall. it's in the food court.

The Villages Florida

/

Last edited by John_W; 07-21-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We just stopped and had a Blizzard today. We were returning from a trip to Texas and had a much needed DQ blizzard fix.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:39 AM

I had heard that the two DQs were owned by a couple. They divorced and closed.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran member

Before ever visiting TV on our LSV one of the first things I did was check & make sure that Blue Bell ice cream was available in Florida. Just might have been a deal breaker had it not been. Can't go for more than a couple of days without a bowl of their Homemade Vanilla, with some fresh strawberries or Hershey's chocolate added.

Do enjoy a DQ chocolate shake every now & then, too. We're lucky to have two DQs within just a few miles of our home. Both are very well managed.

Hope DQ returns to TV soon for y'all.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 07-21-2013, 11:02 AM

I was thinking there is one on 44.

I don't know how to act my age....I've never been this age before.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Gold member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
When we first moved here we had 2 dairy queens, one on 466 and one on 441. I think they were owned by the same person. They closed around the same time so i suspect their rent was raised because they were always busy and they have a pretty small profit margine. No more blizzards for me until july back in wis. Have to supplement my dairy craving with stake and shake happy hour shakes which are very good.
Food was just so so and the prices too high for similiar fast food venues. Also, I have a relative that has experience with managing Dairy Queens and have information that the ice cream pre mix Dairy Queens use comes in several different mixes. The manager chooses the mix he wants to use, with his cost in accordance to the amount of butter fat in the pre mix. The more butter fat the tastier the ice cream but the more cost to the manager. The Dairy Queens in the Villages apparently chose the least costly pre mix and the ice cream was poor in my opinion.. I was disappointed in the taste on my first visit to both Dairy Queens.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

The comment about kids running the place was true. We went to the store on 441 a few times and the kids behind the counter were dirty and didn't wash their hands or wipe the tables and clean the place. They also joked around too much with each other and ignored the customers. Poor management.

The DQ in Mt. Dora is on the old highway 441 and is fairly well kept up and has decent people working there.

However, have any of you tried the ice cream at Mystic Ice Cream on 466A heading towards Fruitland Park? Only open in the afternoons/weekends, but great home made ice cream. They also cater to club events and we've enjoyed them every time we've stopped in.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Gold member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryW View Post
They closed lack of business. At certain times they were busy to begin with, then it slowed way down. My company owned them. They also own RJ Gators...
Tell you anything now..
Wow, a business that closed because of lack of business, how profound is that ?? Lack of business is never the problem, the problem is why does one suffer from lack of business. In the restaurant business it is usually one or more of three things; poor food, high prices or bad service. Any of the three will quickly kill a business. To be a successful restaurant is simple, good food, good prices and good service.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Sage

The locator for DQ says there is one in Mt. Dora, on US 441
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.