Why no Flags

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2020, 04:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
What stores give veteran's discounts for merely wearing a hat? I am always asked for my retired military ID to confirm if I am eligible.
Same here.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I refer you to your own signature quote from Samuel Clemens, and add the context: He said if he were to teach patriotism in schools he would...

"throw out the old maxim, ‘My country, right or wrong,’ etc., and instead I would say, ‘My country when she is right.’ Because patriotism is supporting your country all the time, but your government only when it deserves it."

No, not bait. It's called an opinion, on a discussion forum.
Well stated.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,464 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
There is some work involved, they would need lights to operate if they fly the flag at night or have someone whose job is to put up and take down flag everyday. I went to the Molly Hatchet concert at Savannah Center last Wednesday and when the band brought out the American Flag the place went nuts.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
I think a lot of people either don't know about the illumination rule, or don't care about it, in the Villages. Some homeowners have flags flying 24/7 without lights at night. I've seen a few flags tattered and in bad condition.

When we bought our house, it came with a pretty ragged and dirty flag attached to an extension arm on the house itself. We got rid of the flag and the extension arm entirely. Burned the flag, which is the actual law - which I noticed a lot of people in the Villages also don't obey. After Memorial Day I saw a bunch of those little lawn flags in the trash on trash day.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
What stores give veteran's discounts for merely wearing a hat? I am always asked for my retired military ID to confirm if I am eligible.
I don't know if any stores actually give them without checking an ID first. But you'd be surprised at how many "veterans" try, and point to their hats as "proof" when they ask for the discount.

That isn't specific to the Villages. Up north we had a few guys come in with "Veterans" hats who would ask for a discount - when we asked for their ID they'd say no one ever makes them show an ID, and they don't carry it around with them. We used to get a lot of women who would insist that they are military wives so I should give THEM a discount - when I pointed out that we needed their ID showing they were married to someone in active duty, they would never be able to produce them.

So yes there are people who consider it acceptable to pretend to be a veteran, to get a discount. Whether they actually ever get that discount is up to the gullibility and/or generosity of the cashier.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,355 Times in 2,392 Posts
Default I think a lot of people don't know or don"t care.................

Burn Permits are required for ALL burning in Lake County!

Burn Barrel Use is illegal and will result in fines!
Burn Permit Types
Where to get Burn Permits
You may need a Smoke Management Plan...
General burning requirements:
Get your Burn Permit before you start your fire!
Check the Burn Day Status before you burn.
A responsible adult must remain with the fire at all times.
You must have the Burn Permit at the burn site.
You must READ and FOLLOW the instructions on the permit.
You are responsible for any damage caused by your fire. This includes health problems induced or aggravated by smoke from your fire. Please be courteous and responsible.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I think a lot of people either don't know about the illumination rule, or don't care about it, in the Villages. Some homeowners have flags flying 24/7 without lights at night. I've seen a few flags tattered and in bad condition.

When we bought our house, it came with a pretty ragged and dirty flag attached to an extension arm on the house itself. We got rid of the flag and the extension arm entirely. Burned the flag, which is the actual law - which I noticed a lot of people in the Villages also don't obey. After Memorial Day I saw a bunch of those little lawn flags in the trash on trash day.

As a side note, burning is not the only way to properly dispose of an old flag.

You can also bury it.

Proper U.S. Flag Disposal Methods (click here)

Quote:

1. Flag Burning

According to the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the first thing you should do is properly fold your flag. If you’re not sure how to fold a flag, you can get step by step directions here. Once you’ve properly folded your flag, make a fire that’s big enough to ensure that your flag will completely burn. When your fire is ready, respectfully place your folded flag on top of it. If you want, you can have a moment of silence or say the Pledge of Allegiance. After the flag has completely burned, the fire needs to be safely and completely extinguished. Collect the ashes and then bury them.

2. Flag Burial

According to American Disposal Services, the proper way to bury your flag is to first fold it and then place it in a dignified box. You can then bury the flag, saying a few words if you wish.

3. Flag Donation

If you're leery that you might not burn or bury your flag properly, you can donate your flag to your local American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Boy Scouts, or the Girl Scouts. Each of these government organizations will conduct a ceremony to properly dispose of the flag and they'll do it for no charge.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Burn Permits are required for ALL burning in Lake County!

Burn Barrel Use is illegal and will result in fines!
Burn Permit Types
Where to get Burn Permits
You may need a Smoke Management Plan...
General burning requirements:
Get your Burn Permit before you start your fire!
Check the Burn Day Status before you burn.
A responsible adult must remain with the fire at all times.
You must have the Burn Permit at the burn site.
You must READ and FOLLOW the instructions on the permit.
You are responsible for any damage caused by your fire. This includes health problems induced or aggravated by smoke from your fire. Please be courteous and responsible.
Or, you could just bring it to the local VFW or American Legion Hall. They provide the service at no cost.

Sorry I didn't mean we personally set the ragged flag on fire. We had it burned.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:54 PM

We are still in Texas awaiting our move to TV, but here in Texas you can also take any flag that needs to be retired to any Fire Station and they will properly dispose of it for you. Perhaps FL has that same service, I guess you would have to check.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I find it refreshing. Shoving patriotism in each others' faces doesn't prove you are patriotic. It just proves you feel the need to show off. I'm surrounded by flags in my neighborhood now, and it's frankly a turnoff.

It's sort of like a belief in a religion. Wearing a cross on a chain, plus a cross on your lapel, plus Jesus bumper stickers on your car, plus a creche in your front yard for 90 days, plus a statue of Jesus on your porch, plus a huge bloody Jesus cross over your bed - tells me that you like the "in your face" method of worship. It doesn't tell me that you actually believe in any of the religion.

The people who perform patriotic acts impress me more than the flags they fly or the Veteran hats they wear (and I've learned that many of these "veterans" aren't even veterans - they wear the hats into stores to get the discounts).
I agree. To me, putting 100 flags in front your house every patriotic holiday does not make one any more patriotic than anyone else. Seems to be some sort of competition on number of flags and who puts them out first. Are these really patriots?

Tags
flag, squares, area, patriotic, community

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.