Why no nice Health Club in The Villages??

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I was thinking about this and It has to be a money making situation. If you had say..several million dollars to build an indoor pool, would you invest in it when most of the year people can use outdoor pools for free? I don't think I would invest my money to build such a place when maybe a total of seven weeks a year people would be interested in paying to use it. Yes. Skin cancer is an issue but it doesn't keep people from being outdoors and I don't think it would be a catalyst to have enough people pay to swim indoors. Enough to recoup a large investment and to make money. Which is the purpose of any facilty being built. Follow the potential for profit.

Would you invest YOUR money to build it??? This is not aimed at you Connie but anyone..who says they think it is a good idea. I wouldn't want to keep up a facility for eleven months a year with a smattering of patrons.
then why do we have so many indoor pools here in the sun cities? we have both indoor pools and outdoor pools here. for every outdoor pool, we have an indoor pool. they are BOTH used a lot. the pools are at our rec centers. we don't have neighborhood pools like you do there. and our weather is every bit as nice as your weather. i hear your going thru a cold spell now....another one. we haven't had that cold weather like you have in a long time. our indoor pools are very busy all year round. residents here do care about skin cancer. our pools here also have hot tubs/whirlpools next to the pool. and we have diving areas for those swimmers who would like to dive. do any of your pools have diving areas!? i i think if someone would build an indoor pool for your residents, it would thrive - just like our many indoor pools do here in the sun cities in arizona
Old 02-11-2012, 04:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I was thinking about this and It has to be a money making situation. If you had say..several million dollars to build an indoor pool, would you invest in it when most of the year people can use outdoor pools for free? I don't think I would invest my money to build such a place when maybe a total of seven weeks a year people would be interested in paying to use it. Yes. Skin cancer is an issue but it doesn't keep people from being outdoors and I don't think it would be a catalyst to have enough people pay to swim indoors. Enough to recoup a large investment and to make money. Which is the purpose of any facilty being built. Follow the potential for profit.

Would you invest YOUR money to build it??? This is not aimed at you Connie but anyone..who says they think it is a good idea. I wouldn't want to keep up a facility for eleven months a year with a smattering of patrons.
Gracie, you are missing the point!

THERE IS AN INDOOR POOL ALREADY BUILT AND AVAILABLE!!! It is in the Moffit Building and hasn't been used in four years. But chemicals are added weekly! I see the big beautiful indoor pool sitting empty when I go for Physio at Lake Rehab in Spanish Plains.

We will all be getting Wellness Surveys shortly to complete. This would an ideal time to comment that this EXISTING pool should be used, and memberships sold!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCity View Post
then why do we have so many indoor pools here in the sun cities? we have both indoor pools and outdoor pools here. for every outdoor pool, we have an indoor pool. they are BOTH used a lot. the pools are at our rec centers. we don't have neighborhood pools like you do there. and our weather is every bit as nice as your weather. i hear your going thru a cold spell now....another one. we haven't had that cold weather like you have in a long time. our indoor pools are very busy all year round. residents here do care about skin cancer. our pools here also have hot tubs/whirlpools next to the pool. and we have diving areas for those swimmers who would like to dive. do any of your pools have diving areas!? i i think if someone would build an indoor pool for your residents, it would thrive - just like our many indoor pools do here in the sun cities in arizona
With this being the fastest growing small town in the U.S. then an investor would/could/should be jumping on an opportunity to make money. I think that the people who swim a lot are interested (we have a lot of waders and loungers) but there probably aren't as many real swimmers as say Golfers or pickleball players. There is a reason why someone isn't building a facility with an indoor pool. I don't see anyone in our new village leaving the village to swim. (We don't have a pool in this village) There are six houses with pools out of 57. No one is riding by with their towels and noodles that I have seen.

I am not saying it wouldn't be nice or wonderful to have an indoor pool. I have a dear friend who can't swim when it is cold and she swims everyday. I am saying that if it would be profitable it would happen.

I hope it does.BUT. In this economy investors are investing in a sure return.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Gracie, you are missing the point!

THERE IS AN INDOOR POOL ALREADY BUILT AND AVAILABLE!!! It is in the Moffit Building and hasn't been used in four years. But chemicals are added weekly! I see the big beautiful indoor pool sitting empty when I go for Physio at Lake Rehab in Spanish Plains.

We will all be getting Wellness Surveys shortly to complete. This would an ideal time to comment that this EXISTING pool should be used, and memberships sold!
I don't know why it isn't used Bare. You say it is filled and maintained?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Sage

The indoor pool at Lake Rehab "is" used and not just sitting there. There are classes done there but it's my understanding you have to have a referral to use this feature. I had asked about coming and don't remember the details now...but think they said there is a weekly cost if you'd want to use it personally, to water-walk or swim. You should call them with ANY questions at 352-753-6999.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
The Villages is great and at the top of my short list for the near future … however after talking with some new residents, I find that the health club options are not great … by this I mean that the present facilities are over crowded, No indoor pools, no decent locker rooms, no wet areas(to include hot tub, sauna, steam) …. any talk of a modern health club … as good as a YMCA or LA Fitness, LifeTime Fitness …. ???? I would hate to retire at the largest, healthiest, retirement community in the country without a decent health club??
Oh well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
The indoor pool at Lake Rehab "is" used and not just sitting there. There are classes done there but it's my understanding you have to have a referral to use this feature. I had asked about coming and don't remember the details now...but think they said there is a weekly cost if you'd want to use it personally, to water-walk or swim. You should call them with ANY questions at 352-753-6999.
NotGolfer, that is incorrect! I assume you haven't used the facilities at Lake Rehab at Spanish Plains?

I take Physio at Lake Rehab three times a week in the small pool, 91 degrees. Maximum five people, the pool is very small.

The small pool is located next to the HUGE pool that is not used! The large pool has water in it, and I've seen the chemical guy put chemicals in it regularly to maintain it. I believe the pool was used by the Health Club that moved over to Spanish Springs. According to the fitness instructors, the pool hasn't been used for four years.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Because Sun City is in Arizona and The Villages is in Florida.
Have you ever been to The Villages???
Old 02-11-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Because Sun City is in Arizona and The Villages is in Florida.
Have you ever been to The Villages???
well, as a matter of fact, i have been to the villages. i think it is a wonderful beautiful place. i think the villages has it all over the sun cities with that one huge exception - no indoor pools. i see it is a bit on the cool side there today. where do your swimmers swim when it's cold? our pools open early in the morning and they are filled. i bet if someone would build an indoor pool in your area, it would be well used.

because we have so much sun out here in arizona, people are really educated on skin cancers, etc.
more and more people are opting to stay away from the sun and use our indoor pools - even on nice days.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharTalk View Post
MVP in Spanish Springs has exercise equipment, loads of group exercise classes (yoga, kick, ride, aerobics, etc), personal trainers that will do small group training as well, locker rooms with sauna, massage therapists, etc. No pool. (There are pools everywhere in The Villages and you can pretty much swim year round.) Cost is around $45/month. Really like it.
Agree, MVP is great and very cheaply priced. PLUS all classes are free. The only problem is it does get tight when snowbirds are all here. But April is coming!
Army Guy
Old 02-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
Agree, MVP is great and very cheaply priced. PLUS all classes are free. The only problem is it does get tight when snowbirds are all here. But April is coming!
Army Guy
I toured MVP yesterday and was very impressed. The facility was very clean, spacious, they had first rate (and relatively new) equipment, and dozens of free group classes offered every day. Towels, lockers and sauna are included in your dues. Personal trainers, massage, private classes, etc. are available for an additional fee. It didn't look too crowded, but the sales associate did say it does get pretty crowded in the early mornings.

They are running a February special, the enrollment fee is 50% off (for TV residents, that means the enrollment fee is $50 for the primary member, and $37.50 for the associate member). Monthly fees are $59/mo. for the primary member and $43/mo. for the associate member. While I found this to be a little steep, I also found that because my wife is employed at the hospital, we get a corporate rate--$35/mo. for her, $30/mo. for me with no enrollment fee. Can't beat that--we'll be signing up next week!

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 02-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
well, as a matter of fact, i have been to the villages. i think it is a wonderful beautiful place. i think the villages has it all over the sun cities with that one huge exception - no indoor pools. i see it is a bit on the cool side there today. where do your swimmers swim when it's cold? our pools open early in the morning and they are filled. i bet if someone would build an indoor pool in your area, it would be well used.

because we have so much sun out here in arizona, people are really educated on skin cancers, etc.
more and more people are opting to stay away from the sun and use our indoor pools - even on nice days.
I am glad you enjoy your indoor pools.
What does it cost to swim in your indoor pools??
Old 02-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

There is also an olympic-size indoor pool for the residents at Freedom Point independent living facility. When we took the tour of this facility a few months ago, the pool was maintained, but nobody was using it.

Was so very disappointed when the indoor pool within the Wellness Ctr when it was next to the Sharon Morse bldg was no longer accessible to the residents when the Welllness Ctr moved to SS square Sales Office. It was shocking that such a decision to move and close the indoor pool to residents as the place was always active with members and the structure was not only beautiful, but so convenient to the activities. One could use the pool and in the same area enjoy a massage and/or the rooms for private classes and the gym area very active.

Hubby and I both are on blood thinners which restricts one from the sun so the indoor pool worked so well for us.

Go figure.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.