Why no nice Health Club in The Villages??

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
The Villages is great and at the top of my short list for the near future … however after talking with some new residents, I find that the health club options are not great … by this I mean that the present facilities are over crowded, No indoor pools, no decent locker rooms, no wet areas(to include hot tub, sauna, steam) …. any talk of a modern health club … as good as a YMCA or LA Fitness, LifeTime Fitness …. ???? I would hate to retire at the largest, healthiest, retirement community in the country without a decent health club??
Did you check out the Wellness Center in Spanish Springs? I think it has everything you are looking for. But maybe not.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 01-18-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
The Life Time Fitness idea is a GREAT one. It could be built on the South side, maybe even around Brownwood. It wouldn't have anything to do with The Villages as it's a separate entity and the people who want to join could . It would provide for an indoor pool as well as an indoor track! I know in this area the LifeTime Fitness is open 24/7 and the parking lot is ALWAYS full! I have never seen anything like it! The Villages fees wouldn't go up and everyone would have everything they wanted.

http://lifetimefitness.com/

I personally have never belonged to one, but the people who do LOVE it!

This has nothing to do with not loving TV. If there is a way to bring more to TV for the people who want it... Why not? This isn't a love it or leave it thing. Let's make it better for everyone.
Maybe if they build a new Costco it could have an indoor pool, sauna and steam room.

I understand a certain farewell party in a certain Chicago suburb had to be moved to the Mayor's house so he could attend.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:29 PM

The State of Florida provides the ultimate sauna from late June through early September and it's free! Throw in some rain and you get steam. Need a hot tub? The neighborhood pools are 85. Have a need to run? Try running around your neighborhood.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
If you have the financial means coupled with a marketing plan and are able to combine them into a viable prospectus to make a high class exercise spa a reality in The Villages, I'm sure the Morse Development Team would discuss it's creation with you.
Good Luck, and I hope you're successful.
This doesn't make 'any' sense! "You can't sell steak in a hamburg town."
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge538 View Post
This doesn't make 'any' sense! "You can't sell steak in a hamburg town."
I couched my post with caveats that the proposal would need to be viable.

I don't disagree with your assessment, but why take it out on me?

If the OP is correct in how attractive such a facility would be, what's wrong with entertaining it's feasible creation.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
The Life Time Fitness idea is a GREAT one. It could be built on the South side, maybe even around Brownwood. It wouldn't have anything to do with The Villages as it's a separate entity and the people who want to join could . It would provide for an indoor pool as well as an indoor track! I know in this area the LifeTime Fitness is open 24/7 and the parking lot is ALWAYS full! I have never seen anything like it! The Villages fees wouldn't go up and everyone would have everything they wanted.

http://lifetimefitness.com/

I personally have never belonged to one, but the people who do LOVE it!

This has nothing to do with not loving TV. If there is a way to bring more to TV for the people who want it... Why not? This isn't a love it or leave it thing. Let's make it better for everyone.
I agree with Angie.....there is shopping and medical and other entities here at The Villages that are not owned by TV. They seem to do very well.

On another post, I also said that an indoor pool for therapy would go very well in The Villages. People would pay an extra fee to use the pool, just as they do to join the other fitness centers here.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Sage

I've never been in a LifeTime Fitness but I would love to see what the hoopla is about! I think it might be kinda like TV that you have to see it to believe it and that being said... I will refrain from making any derogatory comments about it until I've see it.

I can tell you that when I googled it, I found it costs $60 a month to belong.

What I know is, the fitness center is ope 24/7. They have parking lots larger then Walmart and you are lucky to get a spot! The place is hopping 24 hours a day!

But like they say about The Villages... It's all smoke and mirrors.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Default Indoor Pool Not Supported Previously

TV had an indoor pool at Spanish Springs in I Believe 2008. It closed because of insufficient financial support. I do not believe the community will support such a facility paid for by an increase in amenity fees. Proposals have been made to erect canvas covers at various pools for shade from the sun. For various reasons, these proposals were not enacted.

I'm sorry if you cannot accept what we have and pay for as acceptable. It's not bad when you investigate and consider all the alternatives.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:59 PM

I think some of the reactions here are a little strong. We are deep into vetting the villages and it looks like this is what we will land on.

I will say that we were a little surprised when we first found out there were no indoor facilities for water aerobics and tracks and the like. I get that they are "specialized" and should not be supported by general fees by everyone.

i do think that a facility could be supported by a community this large. My wife belongs to Health bridge here and the place is packed in all seasons.

Just say'in. Supporting an idea like this is not an attack on TV.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
I think some of the reactions here are a little strong. We are deep into vetting the villages and it looks like this is what we will land on.

I will say that we were a little surprised when we first found out there were no indoor facilities for water aerobics and tracks and the like. I get that they are "specialized" and should not be supported by general fees by everyone.

i do think that a facility could be supported by a community this large. My wife belongs to Health bridge here and the place is packed in all seasons.

Just say'in. Supporting an idea like this is not an attack on TV.
No it isn't Jack. It just is that some folks think that it should be part of what The Villages itself offer under the amenity fee. I very much support an independent fitness corporation locating near here or renting space from The Villages. My thought is that it has been researched, the indoor pool thing, and that it would not be lucrative. When a place is swimable outdoors almost all of the year, it isn't as good of an idea as having one in an area where you really can only swim comfortably for three months of the year. Follow the money. It has not only to self support but make money for the owners.

Plus, we ARE a 55 PLUS community. Henry and I have a close friend from Ohio and he runs five miles every day of the year, plays two nine hole rounds of golf and he is 75. Now that is exemplary but not common. Walking and running are quite available outdoors almost every day of the year comfortably, but swimming is less comfortable or not doable in cooler weather.

I think that the health club facilties with machines are used by all ages but mostly the younger of us.

So it isn't that we are attacking. I'm not at least. Just trying to look at this problem with a more realistic view.

PLUS....just wait until you get here and see how active we are with bicycling, walking, running, roller blading, exercise classes in almost all of the rec centers, walking clubs, not to mention pickleball, tennis, paddleball and dogs walking people. You WON'T believe your eyes. Plus for the older of us, five rounds of golf a week and all that arm swinging is quite a bit of moving around.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
If you have the financial means coupled with a marketing plan and are able to combine them into a viable prospectus to make a high class exercise spa a reality in The Villages, I'm sure the Morse Development Team would discuss it's creation with you.

There is plenty of land set aside for new commercial interests I think.

Good Luck, and I hope you're successful.
I know i'll p*ss alot of people off, it won't be the first time,but if you walk through Spanish Springs and LSL,fitness is not a priority in TV.If you think golf is real exercise,guess again.I can't believe the number of people that have all the lifestyle opportunities TV provides and don't take advantage of it.There are soooooooooooooo many fitness classes and groups that focus on health and wellness in TV.Finally, did you all come to TV to live or die,than put down the fork and get your fat ass in gear,and swinging a golf club while using your "cool" golf cart, just doesn't cut it, get out there and really EXERCISE.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

We are bringing our professional style eliptical and putting in an above ground swimspa with propulsion combined with separate hot tub. Year round facility in our own backyard. And cost no one else a penny....
Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Sage

A good strategy for people who would like a gym with indoor pool, saunas and hot tubs in or near TV would be to contact LA Fitness, Lifetime Fitness and/or other know companies that build such facilities to let them know of your interest and encourage them to locate here.

Ask like-minded TOTVers to do the same. Provide them with demographic information that would bolster your case. If a company believes it could be profitable, they might well investigate.

It could be that some of the companies have not jumped on this market because:
  • the average age doesn't conform to their typical demographic
  • TV has more than 40 heated outdoor pools that are usable almost year-round
  • Water aerobics and other swimming classes are available in TV free of charge
  • Many Villagers have covered, heated pools and hot tubs at their homes

That doesn't mean that a profitable venture isn't possible. If people who are interested can convince a proprietor to look past these possible limitations and can highlight reasons they think it could work, perhaps a proprietor might be willing to investigate.

It never hurts to ask.

BTW, personally, I don't think I would use such indoor facilities very often, if at all. I love the great outdoors, and the atmosphere at the community pools.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Sage

Advantageous locations abound for such non-TV owned facilities - along 27/441, the 466 corridor (Wedgewood out by Beall's), and 466A.

Bill
Old 01-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-25-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.