Why O why & Why O why???

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Mr. Schwartz sounds like the dreamer who had the idea and some of the more practical members of his family but his dream into reality with a lot of luck, hard work, and very probable political connections. You do need the luck though.
I'd rather be lucky than good anytime
Old 05-27-2019, 06:38 AM
Default Mclawren Terrace

On 2/15/18 there was a catastrophic event on an easement located between 17086 and 17092 SE 79th Mclawren Terrace The Villages. Neighbors by that location requested assistance in writing to the developer requesting any assistance he could give in assisting to repair the problem. The original home owners sold their dream retirement homes to a company that fixed I buy sick homes who has further let the neighborhood down by not fixing the homes. The hole on the easement destroyed both homes, as well as, the street in front of the homes. The Developer has all the resources to fix the problem with the easement, as well as, the homes. The developer originally had the pipe placed in the easement which failed on 2/15/18 resulting in the catastrophic event. The Neighbors and others requested the developer buy the two damaged homes he originally built and fix the problem that resulted from the easement he placed between the homes that resulted in failure and a catastrophic event destroying two retirees homes, as well as, permanently damaging a neighborhood. Mclawren terrace has been closed and neighbors living there do not feel it is the Friendliest home town because since the event The Developer has refused to send his brilliant workmen to repair the problem. How would you feel if your retirement neighborhood and investment was destroyed and the person that built it that had all the resources in the world to fix it has simply said NO!
Old 05-27-2019, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

When I reflect on the insights, the planning, the strategies, the tactics and the values fostered and promoted by the developer I am both amazed and thankful that someone had this vision and was able to pull it off. I'm not sure that I could name another city or town this size that comes close to being run as efficiently and offers the quality of life that The Villages does. Yet people complain. Why? Often it comes down to differences in personal values. Some of us were raised in an environment of 'glass half full', other's grew up looking at everything as 'half empty'. Some of us naturally come at things from a place of abundance, others come at things from a place of scarcity. The bottom line is that we all have a choice...do we listen to the complainers and allow them to drag us down to their level of negativity, or do we ignore them and enjoy the lifestyle! I try to live life like that old song Johnny Mercier wrote...accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative and don't mess with "Mister In between." My guess is that being able to stand on the sidelines and complain somehow fills an inner need for some people.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:02 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn RIccio View Post
On 2/15/18 there was a catastrophic event on an easement located between 17086 and 17092 SE 79th Mclawren Terrace The Villages. Neighbors by that location requested assistance in writing to the developer requesting any assistance he could give in assisting to repair the problem. The original home owners sold their dream retirement homes to a company that fixed I buy sick homes who has further let the neighborhood down by not fixing the homes. The hole on the easement destroyed both homes, as well as, the street in front of the homes. The Developer has all the resources to fix the problem with the easement, as well as, the homes. The developer originally had the pipe placed in the easement which failed on 2/15/18 resulting in the catastrophic event. The Neighbors and others requested the developer buy the two damaged homes he originally built and fix the problem that resulted from the easement he placed between the homes that resulted in failure and a catastrophic event destroying two retirees homes, as well as, permanently damaging a neighborhood. Mclawren terrace has been closed and neighbors living there do not feel it is the Friendliest home town because since the event The Developer has refused to send his brilliant workmen to repair the problem. How would you feel if your retirement neighborhood and investment was destroyed and the person that built it that had all the resources in the world to fix it has simply said NO!

An easement can not cause the problem, an easement is a written property restriction.

Homeowners own easement property.

Aren't the "pipes", storm water pipes???
Old 05-27-2019, 07:21 AM

People forget that for the developer, The Villages is a business. What can get any better than living in The Villages. People that complain will be the same ones who get to heaven and say, God I thought it would be better than this.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:25 AM

Been here 3 years and still loving it! My only complaint is about the golf courses not being overseeded. BUT I am new to golf and don't know as much about course maintenance as others may. But based on some golf courses I have played outside TH I think there is room for improvement. I need a little cushion for the ball to sit on so I can get under the darn thing!! ;o)
Old 05-27-2019, 09:18 AM
Default Let's all take better care of the golf courses

[QUOTE=dewilson58;1649989]Why do people support the Developer / TV Concept,

and

Why do other people appear to want to negative and have a dislike for TV/The Developer???

So many times, threads get off of the OP's topic and turn into a debate on The Developers, The Villages' concept, personal attacks against the Developers and the personal support of the Developers.

The Moderators will give us some room here, but let's see if we can flush some of the thoughts / logic out prior to this thread being locked down.

Me????.................I have a lot of respect for the business people who risk their financial well being to develop/create something. ie: The Wright Brothers; Bill Gates; Ben Franklin; John Baird; Delbert Webb: Harley Davidson; as examples. Some got very rich, some did not. To me, that's the American Way.

[I have significant respect for the family and do not begrudge them one bit for their success. But here is a thought regarding ill will toward the developer: The Villages is a golfing community and over the past two years, the golf courses' conditions have declined. I think this is due to the huge increase in play as The Villages grows in the number of golfers and the number of championship courses remains the same. One solution I can think of is to push for a style of play that helps reduce the amount of time the golf carts are on the fairways. If we could start with a strict 90 degree rule, enforced by the Ambassadors and golf shop pros, it would go a long way to keep the fairways more playable. Our greens are generally very good but the fairways need help in staying thick and providing a good lie.]
Old 05-27-2019, 09:22 AM
Default Complainers

Some people just like to **** and moan, others have a deep need to be in charge of something, and some see themselves as the center of the universe with a need to have all their ideas acted on, and some actually go so far as to behave as self appointed enforcers. In any population, you're going to have a minority of these types of individuals, and they're usually the most vocal, because everyone else is busy enjoying themselves. With a retirement population this size, it may seem like there are a lot of complainers, but my experience is the overwhelming majority of residents here, support the developer and appreciate what they have created. My philosophy is stay healthy, active, happy and engage others. Ignore the unhappy minority.

Last edited by PJackpot; 05-27-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:04 AM

We've been here almost 7 years and rarely leave - this place has almost everything we're looking for. No you can't do everything you'd like to the outside of your home - and that's good! It protects OUR property values....don't like it? Move. Does this place have everything YOU'D like? No? Don't complain - either start a club here for others who may like to join or find what you need off-campus but don't complain...move. I hate when I hear my coworkers (who live here) complaining about TV, I always tell them, 'Feel free to move'. But they never do. I think it's safe to say, some people just like to complain. Sadly, it seems the complainers are always the loudest, though.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
It seems to me that both viewpoints have merit and I enjoy hearing from differing viewpoints. There seems to me to be no doubt that the Schwartz, Morse team had a vision for a retirement community that no one else was able to realize. Because of their vision they have built an enterprise that has attracted some 130,000 mostly happy people and enriched the family immensely. Does this mean that they are above criticism or perfect? I think not! They are like most people, they have their flaws and their blindspots, but unlike most people, they have been wildly successful, and right far more often than they are wrong. I think that they are very good at what they do, and deserve the wealth they have earned, but that when they are wrong it should be pointed out and subject to criticism or even recourse. Those that see the developers as perfect seem to me to have a huge blindspot, as do those who see them as wicked and greedy. I see them as successful entrepreneurs who have filled a huge need with a marvelous product, but with some minor flaws which should be pointed out and addressed.
As usual, a well thought out post!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 05-27-2019, 10:29 AM
Default Negativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Do some posters actually dislike the developer or are they simply tired of slavish devotion to the Morse family and the refusal to hear a bad word about them on the part of some other posters?

Is it negative for someone to remark that they found the evening with the developer to be boring, or not to like The Sun, or to wish for different/more amenities? People can enjoy living here and admire all that's been accomplished but still have a few gripes.

Telling everyone who has a complaint that they're free to leave is the real negativity, IMO.
Pretty much on target. TV, while still a good place to retire, is not the same as when many of us moved here 15 or more years back. Harold Schwarz & Gary Morse were far more interested in residents well being than those running the show today. That's what made TV what it is, along with the promotion of residents bringing friends & relatives here. It also resulted in the family's huge wealth. I believe many of those who reject any criticism of the developer take same as a personal insult thinking it reflects on their choice of TV. To tell anyone who posts a negative comment to move is truly rude, dumb and negative. Virtually all of us simply want to make this a better place. I conclude by reminding there was a reason for the $40 million lawsuit and other protests over the years!
Old 05-27-2019, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbbb View Post
Pretty much on target. TV, while still a good place to retire, is not the same as when many of us moved here 15 or more years back. Harold Schwarz & Gary Morse were far more interested in residents well being than those running the show today. That's what made TV what it is, along with the promotion of residents bringing friends & relatives here. It also resulted in the family's huge wealth. I believe many of those who reject any criticism of the developer take same as a personal insult thinking it reflects on their choice of TV. To tell anyone who posts a negative comment to move is truly rude, dumb and negative. Virtually all of us simply want to make this a better place. I conclude by reminding there was a reason for the $40 million lawsuit and other protests over the years!
Excellent post!

Pretty much what I said...back in post #43.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:34 AM
Default Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
IMHO

Why do people support the Developer / TV Concept? - because it supplies a nice, easy life-style

Why do other people appear to want to be negative and have a dislike for TV/The Developer? - jealousy
I agree with Arctic Fox's post completely. I don't understand why people are so jealous, they could get some unused land and create a lifestyle any way they wanted it and they too could be billionaires (maybe). As many people mentioned there is no place around that can compare to TV. The only thing missing from TV is my freinds and family being close by For me that is a big thing.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:41 AM

Yes, it is true the home owner owns the easement, however, in this case the Stormwater pipe originally installed within the easement collapsed causing the destruction of two homes, the road, and property values in the neighborhood. When most people buy their retirement home in the villages they are not told about what is in the easement. I doubt the easement is ever discussed by any realtor to a buyer. I hope this does not happen to others as the result is devastating.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
An easement can not cause the problem, an easement is a written property restriction.

Homeowners own easement property.

Aren't the "pipes", storm water pipes???
You are so correct the easement is owned by the homeowner. Sadly the Stormwater pipe in that easement collapsed causing catastrophic destruction to both Retirement homes, the road, and the property values in the neighborhood. No one has repaired the homes since 2/15/18. The neighbors foolishly turned in total desperation to the current developer in hopes he had the mercy of The Villagers Founder. Hope such an event does not happen to others As it did to two homeowners on Mclawren terrace both in their eighties. Both left their dream retirement homes, as well as, the friendliest home town.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, developers, support, developer, personal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.