Why O why & Why O why???

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2019, 11:21 AM

To think that this place started as a little rv park. I think the family/developers built a place that even they enjoy living in. They captured most of the elements any person could ask for. But people also have to realize that this is a business for them. Bottom line
Old 05-27-2019, 11:23 AM
Thumbs down I don 't want to move...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionline View Post
We've been here almost 7 years and rarely leave - this place has almost everything we're looking for. No you can't do everything you'd like to the outside of your home - and that's good! It protects OUR property values....don't like it? Move. Does this place have everything YOU'D like? No? Don't complain - either start a club here for others who may like to join or find what you need off-campus but don't complain...move. I hate when I hear my coworkers (who live here) complaining about TV, I always tell them, 'Feel free to move'. But they never do. I think it's safe to say, some people just like to complain. Sadly, it seems the complainers are always the loudest, though.
Are you really that afraid of of neighbors having opinions other than yours? While you may be in lock step with the developer, many of us are trying to make TV a better place and take exception to some of the negative changes or shortcomings. As I've stated before, there was good reason for the $40 million lawsuit and other protests by those not wearing blinders or afraid that we didn't buy in a 'perfect' community. Try reading back issues of the bulletin at the poa4us.org website for enlightenment of happenings before you arrived.

Take a look around and ask why so many have bought villas in north central Florida vs expensive larger homes. It could be they have limited finances in retirement and moving would be a hardship or impossibility. Improving the community is the proper course, not moving. Perhaps you are the one who should consider relocating if you cannot stand criticism of your cherished community.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Just a thought, when there were 500 residents with Mr Schwartz etc it was easy to know people personally, like a principal would know all the students in a school that size. When you have over 100,000 residents then it becomes an impersonal business.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:33 AM
Default TV has changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Just a thought, when there were 500 residents with Mr Schwartz etc it was easy to know people personally, like a principal would know all the students in a school that size. When you have over 100,000 residents then it becomes an impersonal business.
Fully agree. However, could TV have morphed into something that was not intended, or has it grown too large?
Old 05-27-2019, 11:38 AM
Location: Citrus Grove from Village of Santo Domingo & Sterling Hts Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
It seems to me that both viewpoints have merit and I enjoy hearing from differing viewpoints. There seems to me to be no doubt that the Schwartz, Morse team had a vision for a retirement community that no one else was able to realize. Because of their vision they have built an enterprise that has attracted some 130,000 mostly happy people and enriched the family immensely. Does this mean that they are above criticism or perfect? I think not! They are like most people, they have their flaws and their blindspots, but unlike most people, they have been wildly successful, and right far more often than they are wrong. I think that they are very good at what they do, and deserve the wealth they have earned, but that when they are wrong it should be pointed out and subject to criticism or even recourse. Those that see the developers as perfect seem to me to have a huge blindspot, as do those who see them as wicked and greedy. I see them as successful entrepreneurs who have filled a huge need with a marvelous product, but with some minor flaws which should be pointed out and addressed.
The Nail Has Been Hit On The Head!

I think the “Developer” does/has listen(ed) and improved, just compare how traffic flow has changed from in the “North”. What a pain getting through the gates on Morris north of 466 during busy/rush hour time. South of 466 gates don’t slow traffic cause there at the entrances to the villages. Then there is how golf car trails/roads are separated from vehicle traffic.

There is more to be done, and ya can’t please everyone, but The Villages is like no other. I’ve looked at a lot of other communities and this is “the happiest place on earth” for seniors it is Disneyland.

And it don’t cost ya over $100 day just to visit or $10 bucks for a hotdog, like the big rat in Orlando. Now that’s GREEDY (is that negative enough?).
Old 05-27-2019, 06:56 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Positive/negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shbullet View Post
My opinion is that at the macro level most people support TV concepts...in fact most people give high praise to it.

My opinion is also that what we refer to as negative comments comes much more at the micro level....things that directly affect them....long lines at the pickle ball courts, some road conditions, classes too full, and one that really is stepping into a hot bed by mentioning is the condition of the executives courses.

So in summary, I think the positives towards TV concepts are at a macro level and most of the negatives comes from the micro level. Some would equate those negatives as being negative towards tv concepts and the developer personally when in reality they are not at all.

From an academic point of view, you are spot on.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:26 PM

I think the Villages is a wonderful place to live! Nothing will ever be perfect and I feel there are many here who just always find something to complain about. If you don’t like the way the developers are doing things - then perhaps you should live elsewhere.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionline View Post
We've been here almost 7 years and rarely leave - this place has almost everything we're looking for. No you can't do everything you'd like to the outside of your home - and that's good! It protects OUR property values....don't like it? Move. Does this place have everything YOU'D like? No? Don't complain - either start a club here for others who may like to join or find what you need off-campus but don't complain...move. I hate when I hear my coworkers (who live here) complaining about TV, I always tell them, 'Feel free to move'. But they never do. I think it's safe to say, some people just like to complain. Sadly, it seems the complainers are always the loudest, though.

I actually resent when someone says that if you don't like something about where you live that person should move!

That kind of response is not sensible or logical and I find it rude and uncalled for.

First of all, not many people have the wherewithal to move anyway.
Financially, they cannot afford to do that and in addition, regardless of any complaint they may have, they have roots here.

The response that someone should move is sarcastic and does not solve a problem or an issue.
If a resident has a complaint, and some are very valid, if you can't respond logically or offer something positive, then don't!

Last edited by Midnight Cowgirl; 05-27-2019 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2019, 09:44 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

I'm not at all jealous of The Developer. I give them total credit for having the vision and continuing to build a fabulous retirement community. They've taken the risk and they deserve the wealth that comes with that risk.
What frustrates me is that people want "The Developer" to fix any issue, even if The Developer has nothing to do with an issue. Examples - The Villages Regional Hospital, Executive golf courses, potholes in the road, etc. It is so much easier to demand The Developer "fix it" instead of figuring out who is ultimately responsible and addressing concerns to that entity. People feel that The Developer is rich, so they should fix everything. If not "The Developer is only concerned about making money." People need to understand what The Developer is responsible for and what they're not responsible for... and they need to direct their frustrations to the right entity.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
I actually resent when someone says that if you don't like something about where you live that person should move!

That kind of response is not sensible or logical and I find it rude and uncalled for.

First of all, not many people have the wherewithal to move anyway.
Financially, they cannot afford to do that and in addition, regardless of any complaint they may have, they have roots here.

The response that someone should move is sarcastic and does not solve a problem or an issue.
If a resident has a complaint, and some are very valid, if you can't respond logically or offer something positive, then don't!
Well said MC
Old 05-28-2019, 01:37 AM
Angry The Tragedy Lives on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn RIccio View Post
On 2/15/18 there was a catastrophic event on an easement located between 17086 and 17092 SE 79th Mclawren Terrace The Villages. Neighbors by that location requested assistance in writing to the developer requesting any assistance he could give in assisting to repair the problem. The original home owners sold their dream retirement homes to a company that fixed I buy sick homes who has further let the neighborhood down by not fixing the homes. The hole on the easement destroyed both homes, as well as, the street in front of the homes. The Developer has all the resources to fix the problem with the easement, as well as, the homes. The developer originally had the pipe placed in the easement which failed on 2/15/18 resulting in the catastrophic event. The Neighbors and others requested the developer buy the two damaged homes he originally built and fix the problem that resulted from the easement he placed between the homes that resulted in failure and a catastrophic event destroying two retirees homes, as well as, permanently damaging a neighborhood. Mclawren terrace has been closed and neighbors living there do not feel it is the Friendliest home town because since the event The Developer has refused to send his brilliant workmen to repair the problem. How would you feel if your retirement neighborhood and investment was destroyed and the person that built it that had all the resources in the world to fix it has simply said NO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn RIccio View Post
You are so correct the easement is owned by the homeowner. Sadly the Stormwater pipe in that easement collapsed causing catastrophic destruction to both Retirement homes, the road, and the property values in the neighborhood. No one has repaired the homes since 2/15/18. The neighbors foolishly turned in total desperation to the current developer in hopes he had the mercy of The Villagers Founder. Hope such an event does not happen to others As it did to two homeowners on Mclawren terrace both in their eighties. Both left their dream retirement homes, as well as, the friendliest home town.

I am not very well versed on the sinkhole situation in Calumet Grove but what I do know and what you have described is an out-and-out tragedy.

Because of what happened to these two homes, the residents there who want to sell their home cannot do so. The owners of both homes being in their 80s only make this tragedy even worse.

Adding insult to injury, that it's been well over a year since the sinkhole happened, the fact that the Morse family, et al, have seemingly turned their back on the entire situation is reprehensible.
Unless there is a piece of this puzzle I don't understand or am not privy to, it sounds as though the lack of attention to that Village is nothing short of disgraceful.

Is there a reason this situation still exists???
Someone must know the real story as to why the developer has not stepped up to the plate.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Someone must know the real story as to why the developer has not stepped up to the plate.

Precedent?
Old 05-28-2019, 05:00 AM

this place is HEAVEN ON EARTH....
Old 05-28-2019, 07:17 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
I am not very well versed on the sinkhole situation in Calumet Grove but what I do know and what you have described is an out-and-out tragedy.

Because of what happened to these two homes, the residents there who want to sell their home cannot do so. The owners of both homes being in their 80s only make this tragedy even worse.

Adding insult to injury, that it's been well over a year since the sinkhole happened, the fact that the Morse family, et al, have seemingly turned their back on the entire situation is reprehensible.
Unless there is a piece of this puzzle I don't understand or am not privy to, it sounds as though the lack of attention to that Village is nothing short of disgraceful.

Is there a reason this situation still exists???

Go check the Online Rag "News Site". There are numerous stories. Sinkhole caused damage, to houses and pipes; Houses sold to investment trust; road can not be repaired until houses/lots are stabilized; blah, blah, blah.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:17 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Do some posters actually dislike the developer or are they simply tired of slavish devotion to the Morse family and the refusal to hear a bad word about them on the part of some other posters?

Is it negative for someone to remark that they found the evening with the developer to be boring, or not to like The Sun, or to wish for different/more amenities? People can enjoy living here and admire all that's been accomplished but still have a few gripes.

Telling everyone who has a complaint that they're free to leave is the real negativity, IMO.
My thoughts exactly. I like it here, respect the developers for the financial risks they take, but not so blinded and slavishly devoted that I can't see when it is clear money is driving a decision that detracts from our lifestyle.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Closed Thread

Tags
people, developers, support, developer, personal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.