Gem cars

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Veteran member
Default Gem cars

I saw a Gem car(street legal) on the golf cart path going across Morse Blvd. bridge this morning. Do the people driving those think that s a good idea. Its tight enough on that bridge for 2 golf carts let alone putting a Gem car on there. I hate to say it but I think its time to figure out a way to police golf carts and street legals,especially the carts that are hopped up. I have carts pass me on Morse when I'm doing the speed limit of 30. It really is getting out of hand. If you want to go faster than 20 drive your car
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

I am surprised that usage is not already restricted to certain classes of vehicles and size.

Not to mention speed limits!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Platinum member

I have a GEM. I haven't even considered going on the overpass from Spanish Springs. I worry just going on the bridge over Lake Sumter, those "golf cart" lanes are very narrow! Don't know who designed that bridge, but they should have gone back to civil engineering school!

GEM cars are supposed to go no faster than 25 MPH. If they are set faster than that, then somebody has been fiddling with the governor on the motor. They are NOT ATV's!

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 04-11-2013, 06:11 PM

I have a GEM and have on rare occasion used the bridge on Morse when we want to go see the sunset over Lake Sumter. The bridge really is to small and I go slow, even stop if needed when a cart meets me on the bridge. Legally at least from what I gathered talking to the Sumter County Sheriffs department you can drive a GEM on any of the cart paths. My GEM goes 25 and I get passed by carts all the time, some are street legal and some are not.

Bill
NY, Miami, Elizabeth City, Mobile, Corpus Christi, Cape Cod, Corpus Christi, Miami, Arnold MD, Mobile, Atlanta, Greenville NC, Raleigh, Village Rio Ranchero!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 AM

To answer the question about the speed of GEM's, they can be equipped with a factory 7.0hp engine which will increase the speed to over 25mph. The local dealer will also install an after market 7.5hp engine that is capable of speeds in excess of 35mph. The width of a normal golf cart is 46in...a GEM is 54in, which is why I never take mine on the Morse bridge or the golf cart bridge over 441.

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can."----John Wesley
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhredd1654 View Post
To answer the question about the speed of GEM's, they can be equipped with a factory 7.0hp engine which will increase the speed to over 25mph. The local dealer will also install an after market 7.5hp engine that is capable of speeds in excess of 35mph. The width of a normal golf cart is 46in...a GEM is 54in, which is why I never take mine on the Morse bridge or the golf cart bridge over 441.
If 2 Gems meet on the Sumter Lake bridge...will they fit?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhredd1654 View Post
That is some interesting trivia.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
If 2 Gems meet on the Sumter Lake bridge...will they fit?
That must have happened, and probably more than once. I imagine that both drivers would have to be very careful.

It's not just the Gems that are wide, there are other street legal cars, such as the Ford Think clones that may be even wider. It's another reason for LSVs to stay on the road and avoid these sticky situations.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=cquick;657505]."----- I worry just going on the bridge over Lake Sumter, those "golf cart" lanes are very narrow! Don't know who designed that bridge, but they should have gone back to civil engineering school!

/QUOTE]

The story I heard is that the cart path over the bridge was orginally designed to be wider but the local "bumblecrats" stuck in their noses and mandated the sidewalk to be widened. Rather than redesign the bridge and add to the cost, the developer just cut the golf cart path to the more narrow width. So now we all suffer. Probably someday there will be a serious sideswipe incident and the cart riders will fly over the protective curb and into traffic.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 PM

/QUOTE]The story I heard is that the cart path over the bridge was orginally designed to be wider but the local "bumblecrats" stuck in their noses and mandated the sidewalk to be widened. Rather than redesign the bridge and add to the cost, the developer just cut the golf cart path to the more narrow width. So now we all suffer. Probably someday there will be a serious sideswipe incident and the cart riders will fly over the protective curb and into traffic.[/QUOTE]

I agree, and am surprised there hasn't been a fatality there, yet. There is a posted speed sign on the approach to each side of the bridge of 10mph, but it's never followed.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.