Why is same house being used for model tour, but with different prices

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 AM
Sage
Default Why is same house being used for model tour, but with different prices

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-30-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 AM
Sage

Any feedback from us TOTV folks will be "educated guesses". The most accurate feedback will come from a sales rep. Too many nuances involved which can affect the house prices.

Bill
Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

I agree with Bill. You have to talk with a sales rep. and have him describe the differences or upgrades that are included in the homes. Bump-outs, tile floors, granite countertops, upgraded appliances all affect the purchase price of the home. The biggest influence in home price is going to be the price of the lot.

An interior lot with back-to-back lanai's is going to be the least expensive. Go to a corner lot that generally is larger, up goes the price. Go to a view lot or pick a golf front lot on a cul-de-sac that has because of it's pie-shape size with a large frontage on the golf course and you are looking at spending $150,000 or more for the lot. So that Begonia on an interior lot you mentioned is $256K. Put that same lot on an attractive golf front lot and you are over $400K.

Take your time, look at lots and lots of homes, new and pre-owned and determine what will work for you and your wallet.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 AM
Veteran member
Smile

I would rent for a mo. or so and look everywhere (I mean even outside of TV) and compare w/TV, you'll be surprised ! We lived in TV since 2005 and moved out recently to another GC comm. 5 min./4mi. from TV , so we still use the convenience of shopping/dining/etc. in & near TV but best of all, we have a better house for less$ and taxes, insurance etc,etc. We moved b/c .(for us) TV is getting too big,crowded,noisy,etc.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you look at a model tour of a new house for sale it's a tour of the MODEL Home in the Model Home section. If there are snap shots listedof the new house for sale that will be pictures of the house for sale. If it's a used house and there's a caption that says virtual tour that will be a tour of the used house for sale.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Question for those in the know.......
Usually, I've been looking at "resales" of designer pool homes as we were not sure we'd want to go the route of building "from afar".....not knowing exactly how it would turn out.......been there, done that. We've done a lot of additions, building and remodeling in our lifetime. Owned many homes.

Plus, there are many excellent , gently used, resales in The Villages.

However, yesterday, I came across a newly built cement/stucco home in the Village of Gilchrist........today I came across the same exact house in the Village of Fernandina. Same model tour.

The "model tours" are exactly the very same house visually.

Both say corner lot. Both have HUGE lanai and look to be on golf course.
Spa. No pool.

However, I doubt the first one would be only $265,931. marked down to $256,995. Its a Begonia on Dafoe Terrace, 3 bed, 2 bath, 1,910 sq. ft. golf cart garage, etc..........it shows a HUGE LANAI and a spa.

The second one, just found this morning, is the exact same house, but it is $317,382. marked down to $305,995. Same house as the one yesterday. This model is on Mockingbird in Fernandina.

They look like they are on a golf course.....but something tells me NOT.

The one on Dafoe says it has carpeting.

The one on Mockingbird says it has tile everywhere but bedrooms.

The MODEL TOUR shows beautiful dark wood floors throughout.

My husband thinks they are using one generic photo for all???????????

How much more would it cost to build the Begonia but with hardwood floors throughout, even in the kitchen?

Also, I wonder if these "models" are "bumped out" like the one we stayed in which was very generously sized and bumped out, as told to me by the owner. Our kids even liked the Begonia. The lanai was good sized with a birdcaged pool off of it......for great outdoor living.....

How many have traveled down thinking what they saw online was still around and it was either sold or not quite the same?

When we looked at some models, the realtor told us that the Iris was supposedly the shrunken something or other that we were staying in for our Lifestyle Visit at Creekside Landing. I can honestly say it did not look anything like the model we were staying in.........

Can anyone divulge the "extra amount of $$" to get the average new construction house to look like the model???? Cost to bump out here and there? Cost for a few upgrades. Cost for larger lanai?

I know the realtor could tell us. Just wondering if anyone could help us out as we "think it over"..........first.

Thanks in advance, as always, for the wonderful input everyone shares along with the wonderful insight of having been there and already done it.

Also, who is happy with their resale?
Who is happier with their brand new home?
Obviously there are good points to both.

We would want to make the lanai and birdcaged area a great outdoor living area with summer kitchen..........so that's another fee on top of a pool.

Thankyou!!

Anyway, we are planning.........
Your husband is right. They are using the same generic model of each design on the MODEL TOUR part but the photo is of the actual home being sold. (So all Gardenias listed for instance will show the same model tour, but the actual photo in the listing is of the house for sale.) The same for Wisterias, Lantanas etc.etc. This of course would be under NEW homes. They do change the model tour part from time to time as they change and sell decorated models. I love to look at the home tours for that reason. They have GREAT decorators.

A Gardenia, for example, as a spec home, can be any number of prices depending on how many extras are added to it and on what kind of lot it is on, whether it has a view or a kissing lanai, has a golf cart garage, a pool or added kicks etc.etc.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default I drool from afar

I have been looking online for awhile. You can pick a lot and build or buy one they have built already on spec. or buy a re-sale (owned by someone other than the developer at least for awhile) I have noticed that all pull up the same model tour or the one that was used six months ago. Some say house similar to this some don't have that disclaimer but I have been told none of them are the actual house for sale. If you are looking at a resale listed in the MLS it usually has a tour of the real house but sometimes it also has a tour of the model with a note house is similar to this model but the still shots show the actual house. I would think that if you narrow it down to a few the cost of the airfare would be worth it to take a look. If the model is expanded it usually says so in the listing and the floor plan on the site is for the unexpanded. Lyle grants list of floor plans is invaluable for re-sales as they have changed the names of the models over time for the same plan. (I got an adobe file with links off this site in a post of his some place it is not on his website but I bet he would email it to you he seems nice and helpful) We are going to take the advice of the TOTV people and try to rent in three areas two months each so we are sure 100% were we want to be then be bide our time to find the right house. I hate to say it but in an over 55 community I would think there will always be units for sale as people decide to move near their kids or a spouse dies etc.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
We are going to take the advice of the TOTV people and try to rent in three areas two months each so we are sure 100% were we want to be then be bide our time to find the right house.
It's true: The biggest regret people have is that they did not buy/move here sooner. Nobody is getting younger and our days are numbered.

Renting first is a good idea, but it doesn't take 2 months to know if you like an area or not. Two to four weeks and you'd know if you would count that area out or in. Why be stuck for 2 months in a house or an area you did not like in the first week? I met a couple last week who are renting a place they dislike terribly because of the furnishings and decor being old and shabby. But they're stuck with it thru April.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
It's true: The biggest regret people have is that they did not buy/move here sooner. Nobody is getting younger and our days are numbered.

Renting first is a good idea, but it doesn't take 2 months to know if you like an area or not. Two to four weeks and you'd know if you would count that area out or in. Why be stuck for 2 months in a house or an area you did not like in the first week? I met a couple last week who are renting a place they dislike terribly because of the furnishings and decor being old and shabby. But they're stuck with it thru April.

I have heard THAT scenario from people more than once. You are right ilovetv.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Your husband is right. They are using the same generic model of each design on the MODEL TOUR part but the photo is of the actual home being sold. (So all Gardenias listed for instance will show the same model tour, but the actual photo in the listing is of the house for sale.) The same for Wisterias, Lantanas etc.etc. This of course would be under NEW homes. They do change the model tour part from time to time as they change and sell decorated models. I love to look at the home tours for that reason. They have GREAT decorators.

A Gardenia, for example, as a spec home, can be any number of prices depending on how many extras are added to it and on what kind of lot it is on, whether it has a view or a kissing lanai, has a golf cart garage, a pool or added kicks etc.etc.
That is something you do not ever hear.

Your husband is RIGHT

Play it again Gracie

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-30-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-30-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Default A quick response

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Yes, I've come to the same conclusion that The Villages "Search New Homes and Villas for Sale in The Villages, Florida" is using the same EXACT "model tour" down to the exact furniture and the exact lanai (oversized with spa on a golf course).......for the $$256,995 BEGONIA at 3135 Dafoe Terrace in the Village of Gilchrist as it is using for the $305,995 BEGONIA at 1327 Mockingbird Lane in the Village of Fernandina. Same exact tour.

Both homes were slightly discounted. The less expensive home has laminate countertops while the other one has granite countertops.

This is listed on the print out under FEATURES....but the model tour photos are exactly the same, totally identical in both homes....as I discovered this morning.

The lesser priced home has carpeting and the higher one has tile.
The photos show beautiful dark hardwood or laminate floors.

My husband thought it looked to be a good price for being on a golf course according to the photo..........but we soon figured out they were just using the same "video" or model tour for both homes............and neither was probably on a golf course......but both did say "corner lot"; one said oversized garage which we would like.

He said he would have flown down to look........but we haven't even listed our home yet........so have plenty of time. We do understand that to get a larger home we have to pay for all the "bumping out" etc.........however,I just thought that the photos of said NEW HOMES would be accurate......it was confusing at first, but now I do "get it" and totally understand.

Thanks to all who responded. The prices seemed too low for the size of the LANAI.....and the location of the LOT in the photo.

We were spoiled being in our rental home which was on the Nancy Lopez golf course. Nice to have that out back.

In our married life, we've had hardwood floors, carpeting, tile, etc.
I think for the next house, I'd like the wood floors throughout; that's why the first "model tour" jumped out at me.

During our visit we got to explore exactly where all the villages were and saw some model homes..........and open houses..........it was all overwhelming............at least the next time we will be much more familiar with where everything is.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED. APPRECIATE IT.
My significant other and I just bought a lot in Gilchrist and plan on building this summer/fall. We were told by our agent that you aren't going to be able to buy a lot and build out within the next six months. As new areas are opening up they are going to be filled with spec homses. So if you are planning to build, I would come down sooner rather than later. Good luck with your search, we like so many others, love The Villages.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson View Post
I would rent for a mo. or so and look everywhere (I mean even outside of TV) and compare w/TV, you'll be surprised ! We lived in TV since 2005 and moved out recently to another GC comm. 5 min./4mi. from TV , so we still use the convenience of shopping/dining/etc. in & near TV but best of all, we have a better house for less$ and taxes, insurance etc,etc. We moved b/c .(for us) TV is getting too big,crowded,noisy,etc.
where did you move to?? i can understand the villages is getting too big for some so what do you love about your community??
Old 03-24-2013, 01:13 PM

Actually, my house was used for multiple locations up to 10 days after I closed on it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.