Why are some crimes not reported in TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2021, 09:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg View Post
Bad news doesn't sell houses. Welcome to the Villages.
Bad news hurts YOUR property values.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The Sun Times has no interest in reporting crimes
What is the "Sun Times"?
Old 10-24-2021, 09:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1916 View Post
The other day (10/21) I witnessed what I thought looked like a stand-off in Charlotte area around Pleasant View Place , I would say there were more than 20 + Police SUV's a few Fire / Rescue vehicles and Officers with Assault rifles ,Bullet proof shields and bullet proof jackets walking toward a home, I was told there was a person with a gun and I left, I saw or heard nothing on the news or in the Villages news??? what else don't we know about? subjective news??
It must have been reported somewhere, as I knew about it. Some guy alone in his house who called 911 and said he was thinking of shooting himself. I don’t think it’s a crime to think about doing that or even to seek help by telling a 911 dispatcher. He put the gun down and got help eventually. The show of force was in my opinion unnecessary and terrifying, but if I might say so, despite my great respect for the police, there are some who always imagined SWAT-type approaches and are sad to find that they have extremely few opportunities in The Villages to put on a bullet-proof vest and pull out their weapons.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:51 AM
Default Crime

TV will never report the full truth on crime here as it doesn’t fit their narrative! SALE SALE SALE AT ALL COST!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2021, 10:06 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

The daily sun is one big advertisement for the Villages and replicators of news items from associated press. I only kept it because my husband insisted. He barely reads anything but the sports section and they do not even recycle it anymore. Stupid.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The other day (10/21) I witnessed what I thought looked like a stand-off in Charlotte area around Pleasant View Place , I would say there were more than 20 + Police SUV's a few Fire / Rescue vehicles and Officers with Assault rifles ,Bullet proof shields and bullet proof jackets walking toward a home, I was told there was a person with a gun and I left, I saw or heard nothing on the news or in the Villages news??? what else don't we know about? subjective news??
I found **************.com that reports EVERYTHING which I found very useful.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:33 AM

The horror….
Old 10-24-2021, 10:40 AM

To answer the OP: Optics
Old 10-24-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne19335 View Post
I would certainly want to know about crime taking place in my own back yard. Crime is up significantly, including here in TV. Lots of domestic violence in America’s Friendliest Home Town, fights at the squares and people passed out behind City Fire or Cody’s. You won’t read about it in the Daily Sun. It’s all about rainbows, sunshine and living the dream.
I agree. I'm new to TV and I would like to know what's going on here, the good and the bad. However, as it continues to expand, I don't know if I need to know every minor incident or misdemeanor that takes place on the other side of TV.

However, more serious crimes involving firearms/weapons or of a violent nature such as assaults, armed robbery, etc. should be reported through some sort of news outlet. In a community of primarily seniors that's just common sense.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
I agree. I'm new to TV and I would like to know what's going on here, the good and the bad. However, as it continues to expand, I don't know if I need to know every minor incident or misdemeanor that takes place on the other side of TV.

However, more serious crimes involving firearms/weapons or of a violent nature such as assaults, armed robbery, etc. should be reported through some sort of news outlet. In a community of primarily seniors that's just common sense.
What are you going to do differently when you get all info on serious crimes? How would your common sense be changed?
Old 10-24-2021, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Bad news hurts YOUR property values.
Continued bloviating about bad news on TOTV doesn’t help either.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The Sun Times has no interest in reporting crimes
The Villages Daily Sun Newspaper reports facts and the actual news. Not speculation. Great newspaper with great reporters, stories and information. You should subscribe......
Old 10-24-2021, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
People tend to write their own stories. "I was told there was a person with a gun." That does not mean there was a person with a gun. IF, the report was that there was a person with a gun atypical police response is over whelming response. The reason is one,"criminal," might chose to fight it out with on or two cops. When, they see 20 plus
unless they are simply crazy they give up-that is the goal not executing criminals on the streets.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:11 AM

Image! High or violent crimes are NOT conducive to promoting a friendly village
Old 10-24-2021, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
It must have been reported somewhere, as I knew about it. Some guy alone in his house who called 911 and said he was thinking of shooting himself. I don’t think it’s a crime to think about doing that or even to seek help by telling a 911 dispatcher. He put the gun down and got help eventually. The show of force was in my opinion unnecessary and terrifying, but if I might say so, despite my great respect for the police, there are some who always imagined SWAT-type approaches and are sad to find that they have extremely few opportunities in The Villages to put on a bullet-proof vest and pull out their weapons.
Hum a dose of reality. I find it sad and interesting how easy it is for people to support their own bias. Perhaps, how difficult it is for me to suppress mine.

As posted by me when they talk about a gun the police resort to overwhelming force.
Assuming a criminal. They might try to take on one or two cops. Assuming the number in the original post is correct 20, no criminal other than in movies is going to take on 20 cops.

Assuming it was a suicide attempt. Most suicide attempts are a call for help. It is actually illegal to kill yourself. The irony, if you are successful what are they to do.
Kill you for attempting to kill yourself?
Closed Thread

Tags
news, proof, walking, jackets, shields

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.