Why sweetbay-not publix

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Veteran member
Angry Why sweetbay-not publix

Found out today why publix did not go in the new strip mall by the library. Besides a hefty rent, the developer wanted a percentage of profits. Publix has 1070 stores, they are not sharing their profits with anyone except employees who work there. Colony will be a zoo next year even if sweetbay is open by then because some people just prefer publix. Pray for me I work there.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Will a Sweetbay definitely be built there, and is Publix considering building in the Brownwood area?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
Found out today why publix did not go in the new strip mall by the library. Besides a hefty rent, the developer wanted a percentage of profits. Publix has 1070 stores, they are not sharing their profits with anyone except employees who work there. Colony will be a zoo next year even if sweetbay is open by then because some people just prefer publix. Pray for me I work there.
Doesn't Publix pay the developer a percentage of their profits on their other four stores? If so, why are they balking this time? I'm not saying I blame them. The Villages needs Publix more than Publix needs The Villages.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Sage

The residents may need publix, but the developer doesn't
Old 04-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Veteran member

It was announced in the daily Sun that a Sweetbay was going into that strip mall. Some other stores were named also, but I am not sure of all of them. I know it said Walgreens and China Gourmet, which made it sound very smilar to the strip wherer Publix is. Does anyone know any other named stores?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Veteran member

Publix does not pay a pertage of profits at the other stores. Because no one knows what rent they pay at colony or other stores it would be hard to tell if developer wanted less rent but would take a chance on making it up in profit. Too many variables and unknowns for a pion.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
From this post I assume Publix management shared with all employees why the store was not going into the mall near the library. Is that true?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. The developer built the store at Colony for Publix too and probably does get a percentage. That is common to do business that way in strip mall retail areas. EVERYWHERE. I am surprised that some people don't know this is common practice. Are you supposed to not make money when you are in business?

I heard a LONG time ago that Sweetbay was slated to go where it went.

The practice described is economics 101, even earlier than that we learned it in general business courses in junior high.

Please don't make the developers out to be greedy when they are just doing business in established and accepted ways.

Most grocery stores almost everywhere do not own their buildings and can negotiate their own deal.

Here is another little secret. If you paid twenty dollars for the shirt you are wearing, the store you bought it from paid ten for it and the fabric manufacturer made a profit too. That is common business practice and it isn't wrong to make money.

I googled this and this is the first of hundreds of things like it that came up.

http://web.mit.edu/cre/students/faculty/pdf/rlease3.pdf

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-07-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I respectfully disagree. The developer built the store at Colony for Publix too and probably does get a percentage. That is common to do business that way in strip mall retail areas. EVERYWHERE. I am surprised that some people don't know this is common practice. Are you supposed to not make money when you are in business?

I heard a LONG time ago that Sweetbay was slated to go where it went.

The practice described is economics 101, even earlier than that we learned it in general business courses in junior high.

Please don't make the developers out to be greedy when they are just doing business in established and accepted ways.

Most grocery stores almost everywhere do not own their buildings and are doing the same thing.

Here is another little secret. If you paid twenty dollars for the shirt you are wearing, the store you bought it from paid ten for it and the fabric manufacturer made a profit too. That is common business practice and it isn't wrong to make money.

I googled this and this is the first of hundreds of things like it that came up. I don't spend time researching Miss 100.

http://web.mit.edu/cre/students/faculty/pdf/rlease3.pdf
What Gracie said is correct!

PLUS along those same lines....clothing with a "name" on it is made by a factory which goes to a vendor. The tags are put on before the vendor and can be from a plethora of "names". So if you had something that said "Smith" on it and it seemed exclusive---don't be impressed because another vendor would get the same article(s) and could have another "name" put on it. The price would go by which "name" was on the item!! I learned this in a college class as well. Very quickly helped me NOT to be impressed with a "name". It's the Free Enterprise System!!! God Bless America!!

I heard (again one of those rumors) that Publix was going somewhere down by hwy 44.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

i shop sweetbay first and whole foods second so i am happy
Old 04-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Who told you this ? If you work there, is this something that everyone was told? I have several friends that work at different Publix here in the Villages.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Sage

I think most of this is conjecture. Just because a person works at Publix doesn't mean they know all the details of contract negotiations like this.

Also, it sounds like a good place for Winn-Dixie to expand into.

And Target's expanded food section is nice and bargain-filled too. That would be good in Brownwood area.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
What Gracie said is correct!

PLUS along those same lines....clothing with a "name" on it is made by a factory which goes to a vendor. The tags are put on before the vendor and can be from a plethora of "names". So if you had something that said "Smith" on it and it seemed exclusive---don't be impressed because another vendor would get the same article(s) and could have another "name" put on it. The price would go by which "name" was on the item!! I learned this in a college class as well. Very quickly helped me NOT to be impressed with a "name". It's the Free Enterprise System!!! God Bless America!!

I heard (again one of those rumors) that Publix was going somewhere down by hwy 44.
Same with medicines, appliances & many other things. A handful of companies make a lot of them and sell them to different companies that put their name on them.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Looks like you got "real" job security. Personally, I don't have a problem with Sweetbay.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Who told you this ? If you work there, is this something that everyone was told? I have several friends that work at different Publix here in the Villages.
Yeah. Most corporate managment that I know of and within corporations that I have worked for keep their business decisions within the scope of "A Need To Know" basis. Reports based on what Jerry the Janitor told you at the bar last night don't quite pass the smell test. If you truly KNOW what you have stated is a fact please state your QUOTEABLE source.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.