Why sweetbay-not publix

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Location: April to November in Topsham, ME and November to April in The Villages
Thumbs up You nailed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
If the stores are required to give a percentage so be it. I've heard that all stores & resteraunts have a % base IF they're on TV property. That's their issue not ours. As for Publix picking the site Sweetbay will occupy I happen to think would have been a mistake because it's to close to Colony. From a customer base the southern end would be a much better grab as that's where ALL the newer residents will be going, besides those people on Rts 44 & 44A along with the Wildwood area. I know there's a lot of activity on the East side of BuenaVista by Brownwood where the Hospital was supposed to be.Think about a ride from down that way up to either Publix or the new Sweetbay ( forget your ice cream ). JMO
You said it better than I did in my previous post Skip.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Sweetbay? Publix? What's the difference?

Sweetbay had the better pumpkin pies. I threw out the Publix pies.
Better rolls, etc. Not able to bake when you are renting over the holidays, so just my personal opinion, but Sweetbay was really nice.

Just preferred the bakery, deli, produce at Sweetbay........plus the size was not as humongous as Publix. Nothing particularly wrong with Publix....but some of their stuff was not great.

When we were there, the fruit at Sweetbay was excellent....ditto for the salad stuff.

Wish those stores would be open 24 hours like our Price Chopper is up here. It would help folks "beat the heat" during the summer .

In Arizona, stores are open round the clock..........with misting devices, like at Epcot, etc. Too much to hope for? Just kidding...............
Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Sage

Well, WallyWorld is open 24/7
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Sweetbay had the better pumpkin pies. I threw out the Publix pies.
Better rolls, etc. Not able to bake when you are renting over the holidays, so just my personal opinion, but Sweetbay was really nice.

Just preferred the bakery, deli, produce at Sweetbay........plus the size was not as humongous as Publix. Nothing particularly wrong with Publix....but some of their stuff was not great.

When we were there, the fruit at Sweetbay was excellent....ditto for the salad stuff.

Wish those stores would be open 24 hours like our Price Chopper is up here. It would help folks "beat the heat" during the summer .

In Arizona, stores are open round the clock..........with misting devices, like at Epcot, etc. Too much to hope for? Just kidding...............
When you are in TV, how many people do you see that were out and about at 2AM?. 24 hour grocery.....who would shop? Did you find the heat that bad when you were here in the summer time?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

When I run at 3am there are a lot more folks up than you think...I love grocery shopping at 4 or 5.... Just stocked items bread fresh from the oven and few people in line
Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
When you are in TV, how many people do you see that were out and about at 2AM?. 24 hour grocery.....who would shop? Did you find the heat that bad when you were here in the summer time?
Not at all hot, since it was October and November. Very pleasant.

We retire so early in the evening and get up so early in the morning which I assume that many seniors do also.......I was thinking more of the supermarket being open very early in the a.m. as ours is, since it is open 24 hours.......this is convenient for hospital nurses and staff who work the overnight shift or late evening shift.......police, etc. who can pick up some things on their way home.........we see so many people early in the morning.

We've never gone in the middle of the night or at 2 a.m.
But we do get up with the chickens.......

We like to get the shopping done early a.m. and get it all put away early.
We are often back by 6 or 7 a.m. or even sooner.........whereas the Publix, etc. didn't open until 7 a.m. in TV. Of course, we are still shopping to stock up for when the kids and grandkids visit, etc., along with their friends who also come to our home when our adult kids are in town for long visits.

I'm sure that pattern will change once we relocate.........
Eating out sounds good to me.........less frequent supermarket visits.

So many seniors have insomnia........so earlier opening at least good for those as well, whenever it's a heat wave. Get it out of the way, not in the noon time heat.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
When I run at 3am there are a lot more folks up than you think...I love grocery shopping at 4 or 5.... Just stocked items bread fresh from the oven and few people in line
Which supermarket is open?????

What you say is also echoed by the lady who runs a community care home in our town.........she loves to shop the times you shop for same reasons.
She has a lot of elderly folks to feed every day and can "concentrate" by not running into everyone in town who wants to chat.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Who knows

Honestly, who really knows what the actual lease is between the Developer and a Publix, or for that matter, another retail store in TV. It's likely all any of us will ever know is rumors from which we make assumptions and conjecture regarding any long term lease between such parties. With the "stakes" in the thousands and sometimes in the millions both parties have their attorney's working out all the intricate details of the terms of such a lease. This would not be the first "dance" for a Publix, Sweetbay, Target, Belks or the TV Developer.

It will all be "worked out" and I would place a bet that we will benefit!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 AM

Word has been that there will be a new publix going in out that way this time next year. Supposed to be 3 miles west of the current colony. I was surprised it wasn't going in the shopping center but there is a lot of land along 466a for development that has been for sale and sold already. So don't worry folks
Old 04-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Well, WallyWorld is open 24/7
Do you mean Walmart or the fictional WallyWorld in Chevy Chases's family vacation movie???? We have the smallest Walmart with no food....it's taking years for the zoning to progress to expanding to a larger Walmart.

Clark Griswold (Chase), wanting to spend more time with his wife Ellen (D'Angelo) and children Rusty and Audrey (Hall and Barron), decides to lead the family on a cross-country expedition from Chicago to the Los Angeles amusement park "Walley World", billed as "America's Favorite Family Fun Park". Although Ellen wants to fly, Clark insists on driving, so he can bond with his family. In preparation, he has ordered a new sports wagon for the trip, but when the dealer pulls a bait-and-switch, insisting the sports wagon won't be ready for 6 weeks, Clark is forced to take a failing behemoth Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

As the family travels, they have several mishaps, such as being tagged by vandals while in a rundown part of St. Louis, while Clark is tempted several times by an attractive young woman (Brinkley) driving a flashy red Ferrari 308 GTS. They stop in Coolidge, Kansas to visit Ellen's cousin Catherine (Miriam Flynn) and her husband Eddie (Quaid), but this creates more tension among the Griswolds. Catherine and Eddie foist crotchety old Aunt Edna (Coca) and her dog Dinky on the Griswolds, asking them to drop her off at her son Normy's home in Phoenix. After stopping at a campground in South Fork, Colorado for the night, Clark forgets to untie Dinky from the car's bumper before leaving, killing the dog.

While Ellen and Clark argue, they become stranded in the desert, and Clark eventually finds a mechanic that scams him out of the rest of his cash to fix the car. Frustrated, they stop at the Grand Canyon; when Clark cannot convince a hotel clerk to take a check, he takes cash from the hotel's cash register but leaves behind the check. Leaving the Canyon, they find that Aunt Edna died in her sleep. When they reach Normy's home, they discover he is out of town, and leave Edna's rigor mortised body in the backyard.

Despite all the events and the begging of Ellen and the kids, Clark is more determined to get to Walley World. They finally arrive the next day to find the park closed for repairs. Clark, slipping into madness realizing that all his efforts have been for nothing, buys a realistic-looking BB gun pistol and demands a park security guard named Russ Lasky (John Candy) to take them through the park at gunpoint; Ellen and kids follow him, attempting to placate their husband and father. Eventually the SWAT team arrives along with park owner Roy Walley (Eddie Bracken). Roy understands Clark's impassioned epitome of the American Vacation, bringing back memories of his own childhood years ago. Roy does not file charges against the Griswolds and lets the family enjoy the park as his guests. The credits show various photographs of the Griswolds enjoying the rest of their vacation, including returning to Chicago via plane.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFromMaine View Post
The profit motive is GOOD and it's what creates jobs. Something the current administration doesn't seem to understand.

As to the pros and cons of Publix vs SweetBay, I think they both have their good and bad points and I shop at which ever has what I want or need.

I suspect that we will eventually see a Publix down near Brownwood or maybe near the end of Morse Blvd.
Initially i thought publix wanted 2 more stores but with sweetbay down by the library i think closer to brownwood on 44 will happen. Just a matter of when.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Sage

When they feel they can pack it full like colony. That's the kind of traffic retailers love !!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
When they feel they can pack it full like colony. That's the kind of traffic retailers love !!
Bing! Bing!! BING!!! WINNER!!!! None of these companies is going to open and staff a store that is going to be half-full when they can over-pack a current operating location.

Most companies have business percentage goals to reach before they will even consider opening another operation that is near-by to a current store. The Darden Restaurant Group (Dead Lobster/Olive Garden/Longhorn) requires that it's current location be operating CONTINUALLY at 110% of daily expectations before it will even think about adding a new near-by store.

If you have to wait a little bit, they don't care. I don't say this in a mean way. They KNOW you will wait, because you've made a CHOICE.

Whether it's a grocery store or restaurant there are tremendous start-up costs that include building, staffing, operating licenses, insurance, payroll, stocking and all those things that go with opening a new facility. These successful businesses are not going to upset their apple cart by rushing into laying out a few million bucks because some grumpy people on a website decide that they need to open a store. They are going to stick to their long-term plan and do what works best for THEIR bottom-line. Which, BTW..is what SUCCESSFUL businesses do.

So when the time is right for THEM, then you will see a new store.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Honestly, who really knows what the actual lease is between the Developer and a Publix, or for that matter, another retail store in TV. It's likely all any of us will ever know is rumors from which we make assumptions and conjecture regarding any long term lease between such parties. With the "stakes" in the thousands and sometimes in the millions both parties have their attorney's working out all the intricate details of the terms of such a lease. This would not be the first "dance" for a Publix, Sweetbay, Target, Belks or the TV Developer.

It will all be "worked out" and I would place a bet that we will benefit!
""As a retail business owner in The Villages, I do know that businesses that lease retail space from The Villages pay a percentage of their sales to them. Where this money goes (except profit) is a question. ""

I just googled the question and found this above post on Talk of the Villages posted in 2007 . I know that the retail shop business owners pay a percentage of their profits or sales to THE VILLAGES as my husband was told that. I didn't list this person above's screen name but it was 2007. I believe we were told at least three or more years ago.

This may NOT relate to PUBLIX........but to a retail store such as a clothing store or jewelry store or furniture sture.......not a big conglomerate chain like Walmart or Publix or Beals, etc.

In the real world, other than a MALL STORE, no other small retail store owner pays a percentage of their sales profits to anyone..........other than in local, state and federal taxes.......or to their employees re payroll, benefits, etc. Of course, they pay rent to their landlord and pay their own utilities but their profit is theirs to keep..........or they would not be in business.

p.s. I was just told that the reason behind the mall store owners having to pay a share of their profits to the developer is that the developer then pays for the general advertising????
So, besides rent, they pay a percentage of their profits. A small retailer on a "Main Street" type of town center also pays his own advertising and everything else.

Still , on a similar thought...........we were also told decades ago that anyone who wanted to open up a shop in Disney World, such as at Epcot, would also pay a share of their profits to Disney.
Ask and ye shall find.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am SO glad that at one point I left the teaching profession that I dearly loved and joined the business world. It has enlarged my knowledge so much.

I am amazed sometimes at how a lot of people don't really know how it all works in the world of business.

I never liked my job in business, but it taught me a great deal and I learned that your true professionalism is what you REALLY are and that doesn't change whether you are a teacher, mom, or business owner. I claim a feeling of success at each job, but I loved teaching best..Being a mom was a lot harder than I had ever dreamed...ahhh but the payoff is terrific.

You get to hear your children telling your grandchildren the same thing you told them and you get to hear your grandchildren saying. "OH MOM".

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.