Another enclosed lanai question

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2019, 01:32 PM
Default Another enclosed lanai question

We’ve been shopping all the recommended vendors who do lanai enclosures and still feel conflicted about single pane vs double pane. There is quite a price difference — almost double! I would love to hear from anyone who has done single pane and are happy with them. We do plan to install a mini split system. We know the pros and cons but want to hear from actual users. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We went with double panes and have not needed an auxiliary cooling unit.

I did not believe it would work. I am still amazed. We do have air coming from the pool bath which feeds into the room and we can open the sliders to very wide and the double doors as well. Ours cost more and I am tight and I didn't want to spend the extra (almost double) My husband prevailed. I am glad he did.

We sold one of our grandchildren.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

I currently am in a home with a lanai that has double pane low E glass. When I moved here permanently I added the Mitsubishi split and then recently added solar shades. Opening the sliders would defeat our main purpose for the room: having 2 TVs on simultaneously on 2 different channels .. The heat in the lanai during most months of the year wasn't close to acceptable for us.. We are making plans for doing same for home under construction. All depends on your heat tolerance . comfort level and your intended use for room ..
Old 10-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,600 Times in 5,194 Posts

I think that double or triple pane glass is the only way to go for any window anywhere.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:40 PM
Default Another enclosed lanai question

Better to go with a real enclosed lanai with double pane windows rather than floor to header double pane sliders. The price is comparable and stronger against storms.
Some contractors won't do it unless the floor is raised, some will, including T&D.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell
Old 10-05-2019, 04:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have single pane. Never again, no matter the cost.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 10-05-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What a great idea.

I tried sucking the energy out of one, but that didn't work!
Old 10-05-2019, 05:53 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

We went with Low E double pane. Yesterday we went out on the lanai around 3:30, it was 89 degrees outside and 79 degrees inside the lanai with the sun starting to shine in we have no shades just the glass. You will not have that difference with single pane glass as there is no insulating value and if you do put in air you're going to loose it through the glass.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
We have single pane. Never again, no matter the cost.
Thanks. That was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:

I did not believe it would work. I am still amazed. We do have air coming from the pool bath which feeds into the room and we can open the sliders to very wide and the double doors as well. Ours cost more and I am tight and I didn't want to spend the extra (almost double) My husband prevailed. I am glad he did.

Good point about the air conditioning. If we didn’t have to do the mini split it would make the cost a lot more palatable. Sorry about your grandchild 😉
Old 10-08-2019, 02:41 PM

My house backs up to a busy street and I had T&D enclose my Lanai with double Pane low E windows insulation in the ceiling and Solar film.
did not raise the floor. We leave the double doors open all the time and temp is about 2 degrees higher than rest of house, and there is NO noise from traffic. T&D did a great Job!
Old 10-08-2019, 02:58 PM

We met a man that owns a glass company and He had nothing to do with our install. He told us that it wasn’t worth the money for double pain here. We did single pain and the split very happy.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobles View Post
We met a man that owns a glass company and He had nothing to do with our install. He told us that it wasn’t worth the money for double pain here. We did single pain and the split very happy.
Same here and no regrets. Sooner or later you will need to add a mini split system if you are here full time in order to get full benefit out of your lanai regardless of whether you put in single or double pane.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Do you remember putting you hand on a single pane window in the winter up north? It's just the opposite in the summer down here.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

I have had the same experience with double pane Lanai stayed comfortable without air conditioning.

Currently moved to a home with single pane and area is not comfortable without cooling and will be installing a split system.
Closed Thread

Tags
pane, double, single, lanai, hear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.