Why are the taxpayers, and not the developer, paying for the expansion of the village

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Do some developments that have impact fees also have Bonds?
Old 10-07-2019, 11:08 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
...and when the work is done, ALL of those people performing the work will be out of work, and collecting unemployment, and not paying taxes at all. Income tax? Nope. Property tax? Nope, they'll rent, so no property tax at all. Seasonal people don't buy homes in the places they are hired to perform seasonal work. They rent, and pay zero property taxes.
Well someone who buys those new houses will be paying the property taxes! And if they are smart landlords part of the rent that is charged will include and be set aside for payment of those property taxes for which they will be liable! No? And those renters will be contributing to the local economy. No? And unemployed workers - will they not just move on to the next area of development unless they have been able to establish roots in the area? It seems that there are many assumptions in the quoted post - no?

Old 10-07-2019, 11:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
...and when the work is done, ALL of those people performing the work will be out of work, and collecting unemployment, and not paying taxes at all. Income tax? Nope. Property tax? Nope, they'll rent, so no property tax at all. Seasonal people don't buy homes in the places they are hired to perform seasonal work. They rent, and pay zero property taxes.
The work won't be done for at least another 20 years, the workers know it and are pretty happy about the situation, job stability. I've spoken to many of the workers while out flying, some have been working with The Villages 15-20 years and love the job security that is here. And that's just the work that is foreseeable based on the land purchases that have been announced. One can be sure that there is more to come after that as long as the economy stays at least semi-stable and people keep growing older and want to retire.

And to think it all started with a trailer park and a dream...
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 10-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Default Why are the taxpayers, and not the developer, paying for the expansion of the village

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
The work won't be done for at least another 20 years, the workers know it and are pretty happy about the situation, job stability. I've spoken to many of the workers while out flying, some have been working with The Villages 15-20 years and love the job security that is here. And that's just the work that is foreseeable based on the land purchases that have been announced. One can be sure that there is more to come after that as long as the economy stays at least semi-stable and people keep growing older and want to retire.

And to think it all started with a trailer park and a dream...

Not sustainable

The Villages Florida

Other variables such as the decimation of defined benefit plans, overall lower real wages, student loans etc. the Gen X's and Millenials, plus the current surge of returning to living in cities as a choice will weigh heavily on future retirement community construction. Here, much less age diversity within the "walls" than every other large housing area in the USA makes it much more vulnerable to the demographic swing.

I see a three year window of riding the price appreciation wave. IMHO

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell

Last edited by PrudentLifer; 10-07-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

I guess I'm not as much of a pessimist as some.

While I may question of the thinking and actions of many of the Gen X and Millennials, many more have proven themselves quite resourcefully and levelheaded looking towards the future. While the BPK has taken a dip from time to time, the population has continued to have a net increase and will continue to for the foreseeable future, helping to ensure a continued market as word continues to spread about the many positive aspects of this community.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 10-07-2019, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrudentLifer View Post
Not sustainable

The Villages Florida

Immigration will make up the downturn in births, so that future 'old folks' will be supported by younger people working...just as we're being supported by them now.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:38 PM
Default Why are the taxpayers, and not the developer, paying for the expansion of the village

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

Immigration will make up the downturn in births, so that future 'old folks' will be supported by younger people working...just as we're being supported by them now.

Good point and yes I understand that when it comes to shoring up our SS system. What is fuzzy is how much immigration will add to the over 65 ranks over the next 20 years.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell
Old 10-07-2019, 05:25 PM

Population in 1940 was 132 million now it is 329 million. The birth rate is down per 1000 but with so many more people the total births per year is about the same.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
It is my understanding ( from an earlier post)that when the County gave the green light to continue building it was with the understanding that only if the County ( thus the tax payers) paid for all the road construction and road improvements that were needed. Thus the tax increase. The County probably doing the math with the increase knew they would be paid back big time with the additional tax dollars plus more commercial properties coming in time bringing their tax dollars also. Think it was a win win for both the County & The Developer plus ALL the jobs available to the trades performing the work. JMO
Quote:
I never said the workers doing the construction. All I said was they were working which means their spending money while working which is good for whatever county or wherever they are living. Food. Beverages gas oil electric etc are being bought and will be for a good many years. There is NOTHING that can be done to stop what’s started at this point. Just pay the bill and hope for the best for next years tax bill. The county won higher taxes, more roads, more houses, hopefully more businesses moving in which means more commercial property and more jobs for those looking for work
The people performing the work for the developer, during the developer's planned projects, will cease to perform that work when the projects are completed. The projects are - construction. Whether engineers, roofers, carpet-layers, or whatever else - they will not have those jobs once the jobs are completed.

My point - is that these people won't be contributing tax dollars after the work is done. Their contributions are temporary. That is WHY developers typically have to pay higher fees than the fee the Villages developers are paying, to build each house. Because any other contributions to the town that would typically cover the costs of the increased population using up all those town services, are temporary.

You bring in workers to build buildings, that some of them will live in, and they will rely on more buildings being built, so that they can continue to afford to live in the buildings their boss built. It's basically a snake eating its own tail. Eventually - it will be fully consumed.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
The people performing the work for the developer, during the developer's planned projects, will cease to perform that work when the projects are completed. The projects are - construction. Whether engineers, roofers, carpet-layers, or whatever else - they will not have those jobs once the jobs are completed.

My point - is that these people won't be contributing tax dollars after the work is done. Their contributions are temporary. That is WHY developers typically have to pay higher fees than the fee the Villages developers are paying, to build each house. Because any other contributions to the town that would typically cover the costs of the increased population using up all those town services, are temporary.

You bring in workers to build buildings, that some of them will live in, and they will rely on more buildings being built, so that they can continue to afford to live in the buildings their boss built. It's basically a snake eating its own tail. Eventually - it will be fully consumed.
With the acquisition of somewhere in the neighborhood of 26,000 acres the snake just got a whole lot longer. I think it'll be eating for a long time to come.. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-07-2019, 08:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Besides by the time they’re done building none of us will still be here and if we are we won’t remember this conversation. So all this back and forth is for nothing. Remember Key West is a long ways away and there’s a lot of open land between here and there. I’ll never see the end oh their building and J’m quite sure I’m not alone. As long as people are still coming they’ll keep building. My last post on this wage of time post. We’re beating a dead horse.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Besides by the time they’re done building none of us will still be here and if we are we won’t remember this conversation. So all this back and forth is for nothing. Remember Key West is a long ways away and there’s a lot of open land between here and there. I’ll never see the end oh their building and J’m quite sure I’m not alone. As long as people are still coming they’ll keep building. My last post on this wage of time post. We’re beating a dead horse.
The issue in this thread is not whether or not The Villages will massively expand. It will.

The issue here is whether or not the Developer will succeed in offloading the infrastructure costs of such massive expansion on to Sumter County taxpayers in the form of higher property taxes OR will bear those costs in the form of higher impact fees. It should be the latter approach, but the Developer's toadies on the County Commission have chosen the former-- to the detriment of all of us.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
The issue in this thread is not whether or not The Villages will massively expand. It will.

The issue here is whether or not the Developer will succeed in offloading the infrastructure costs of such massive expansion on to Sumter County taxpayers in the form of higher property taxes OR will bear those costs in the form of higher impact fees. It should be the latter approach, but the Developer's toadies on the County Commission have chosen the former-- to the detriment of all of us.

When the E-9 talked to me about "the powers that be" I knew to back off. Advogado, ain't nuttin' you or I can do about it.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..." [emoji527]
George Orwell
Old 10-07-2019, 09:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrudentLifer View Post
When the E-9 talked to me about "the powers that be" I knew to back off. Advogado, ain't nuttin' you or I can do about it.

George Orwell
Let's try.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Let's try.

Windmills man.

George Orwell
Closed Thread

Tags
county, developer, impact, sumter, fee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.