Why are the taxpayers, and not the developer, paying for the expansion of the village

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2019, 10:26 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Yes, and affordable housing for the workforce required to run this vast place hasn't kept up.
Why should the developer be obligated to build housing for the workforce?

Old 10-03-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Why should the developer be obligated to build housing for the workforce?
There is affordable housing available here. Everywhere around here.The developer provides jobs for the workforce. The workforce gets a paycheck and they can provide themselves with affordable housing.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-03-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

When posting opinions about this topic, I notice that the people who are against development impact fees imposed against the developers, are basically speaking exclusively on behalf of themselves as Villagers. The people who are in favor of increased impact fees are speaking on behalf of themselves as residents of the County, or sympathetic to residents of the County (which would be me, since I am not a resident of Sumter County but remain sympathetic to their situation).

So once again - "me" vs. "us." Pro-impact fee embraces a unified county. Anti-impact fee embraces division.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Yes, and affordable housing for the workforce required to run this vast place hasn't kept up.
There are many, many, many, homes in adjacent communities that are very affordable for almost everyone.

Here is an example when I googled Leesburg.
https://www.point2homes.com/US/Cheap.../Leesburg.html
Old 10-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
You are too far into the conspiracy camp.....thinking the Developer controls commissioners and tax increases.

The Impact Fee is/was set, why would a business go to the county and ask for an increase?? If the county doesn't do it, TV houses are cheaper.

As I said, the developer will maintain their 30% margin.

OK, let's assume you are correct, that begs the next obvious question that has no logical answer. Why would the county representatives make a total sham out of the budget process, totally ignoring the input and showing utter disrespect to the taxpayers who attempted to engage in the process. Why did they not listen to the residents concerns and consider raising the impact fees as opposed to a 25% tax increase? I highly doubt that between all 5 representatives, at least one of them wasn't aware that was an option that could be considered and discussed as an alternative to a huge tax increase? Now if that happened, the process might have been viewed as somewhat on the up and up.

I know you keep mentioning that people need to be involved in the process before the increase, not complain after. Many taxpayers, including myself, ATTEMPTED TO GET INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS, but quickly learned the process was not a real process, the county was simple holding the meetings required by law and ignoring all taxpayer input in opposition of their proposal. That does way more bad than good, since now people have no confidence in the process and are less likely to get involved in the future. Very sad!
Old 10-03-2019, 11:04 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
OK, let's assume you are correct, that begs the next obvious question that has no logical answer. Why would the county representatives make a total sham out of the budget process, totally ignoring the input and showing utter disrespect to the taxpayers who attempted to engage in the process. Why did they not listen to the residents concerns and consider raising the impact fees as opposed to a 25% tax increase? I highly doubt that between all 5 representatives, at least one of them wasn't aware that was an option that could be considered and discussed as an alternative to a huge tax increase? Now if that happened, the process might have been viewed as somewhat on the up and up.

I know you keep mentioning that people need to be involved in the process before the increase, not complain after. Many taxpayers, including myself, ATTEMPTED TO GET INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS, but quickly learned the process was not a real process, the county was simple holding the meetings required by law and ignoring all taxpayer input in opposition of their proposal. That does way more bad than good, since now people have no confidence in the process and are less likely to get involved in the future. Very sad!
I would bet that none of the anonymous posters who, either naively or because of some connection with the Developer, defend what the Commissioners have done to the taxpayers of Sumter County in order to benefit the Developer attended the two public meetings you describe. What we saw there was both disgusting and demoralizing. The “fix” was clearly in.

Hopefully, you are wrong about Sumter County residents thereby becoming “less likely to get involved in the future”. Hopefully, they will turn out in droves in the Republican primary next August and in the general election thereafter and vote the bums out.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post

As in most elections - the majority of people eligible to vote in the previous ones, were either not registered, or registered but didn't vote. MOST eligible people don't vote, for anyone, at all.

Hopefully this situation will encourage more people to vote, not fewer. Now they know the results of their inaction.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:47 AM

As I have stated before I have neither a county or developer preference, just a need to stay openminded with eyes and thoughts to the best answer for as many people as can be. Keep facts out there, not opinions, hearsay and the whole truth with a little bit of optimism and also a fair bit of vigilance. Attached below is the link to 2019 Florida Impact Fee Act. I know it is a little hard to read but it also can answer questions/statements that have been posed in this thread. After reading this then go download the Sumter county budget and read it. It is very long and detailed and a great way for an old CPA to spend time in front of The View(aaaaagh). The Act has quite a few things you can and can not do. Have fun and let us know what you say after reading them both. There are a lot of possibilities to for making the future better for the county and that should be the focus. Remember a higher impact fee is a one time payment, if there are no houses built after x date what do you do to finance the future of this county. Have blasted many companies in the past who fired workforce and then said look we made money this year, first question is how are you going to make money next year, fire the employees that are left or think outside the box for new products, ongoing savings, new clients, etc... Remember that you can not look solely at yourself and your neighbors to determine the effects something will have but on the county/society as a whole. Go ahead I am ready for the bashing that will come but hopefully logical and workable solutions come about for as many as possible.

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine
Old 10-03-2019, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

Assume there are 50,000 homes in Sumter county, and taxes increased by say, $400 (my very average residence went up by $600) that means someone just collected an extra $20 million dollars.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
I would bet that none of the anonymous posters who, either naively or because of some connection with the Developer, defend what the Commissioners have done to the taxpayers of Sumter County in order to benefit the Developer attended the two public meetings you describe. What we saw there was both disgusting and demoralizing. The “fix” was clearly in.

Hopefully, you are wrong about Sumter County residents thereby becoming “less likely to get involved in the future”. Hopefully, they will turn out in droves in the Republican primary next August and in the general election thereafter and vote the bums out.
Attended both and the presentations/workshops on trash and recycling. Nothing demoralizes me, it only makes me work harder to work to fix the issues. I ask also whether it has to be Republican, could there never be a good Democrat candidate? This from someone who says throw them all out at each election and is a member of neither party.

Also please send me a note and I will be glad to speak with you.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Attended both and the presentations/workshops on trash and recycling. Nothing demoralizes me, it only makes me work harder to work to fix the issues. I ask also whether it has to be Republican, could there never be a good Democrat candidate? This from someone who says throw them all out at each election and is a member of neither party.

Also please send me a note and I will be glad to speak with you.
As a practical matter, a Democrat is not going to get elected in Sumter County. An independent maybe. I personally don't care about party affiliation at the county-commissioner level. I just want commissioners who are competent, honest, and independent of the Developer. (And to head off responses: The Villages is a great place to live, and I don't want to screw the Developer. I just want him to pay for his own expansion.)
Old 10-03-2019, 01:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
As a practical matter, a Democrat is not going to get elected in Sumter County. An independent maybe. I personally don't care about party affiliation at the county-commissioner level. I just want commissioners who are competent, honest, and independent of the Developer. (And to head off responses: The Villages is a great place to live, and I don't want to screw the Developer. I just want him to pay for his own expansion.)
The POA Bulletin, just picked up in our driveway takes me back to the negativity of days of yore.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:24 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The POA Bulletin, just picked up in our driveway takes me back to the negativity of days of yore.
Please do not mistake objectivity for negativity. That $40,000,000 settlement the POA won from the developer says it all.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-03-2019, 01:35 PM
Gold member

[QUOTE=graciegirl;1685960]The POA Bulletin, just picked up in our driveway takes me back to the negativity of days of yore.[/QUOTE

Hopefully it also brings you back to reality.

Last edited by Advogado; 10-03-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:13 PM

I've never understood the reasoning behind those who constantly side with entities who don't have their best self interest. Or is it not a reasoning but an emotion?
Closed Thread

Tags
county, developer, impact, sumter, fee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.