Why are the taxpayers, and not the developer, paying for the expansion of the village

Why are the taxpayers, and not the developer, paying for the expansion of the village

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 08:33 PM
Gold member

Thank you, I see $901 fee mentioned in OP’s post for Sumter county, can you also give the equivalent information on Collier county for comparison as above?

Old 09-29-2019, 08:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Here is the Impact Fee Schedule for Lake County - check the fee for the 'Active Adult' category - nothing like the fee mentioned by the OP here:
Residential Impact Fee Schedule

Cannot find an 'Active Adult' category for Marion County and only a Transportation Impact fee:
http://www.ocalafl.org/Home/ShowDocument?id=4256

Link for Sumter County fee schedule [Adobe pdf] can be found here:
Road Impact Fee Schedules | Sumter County, FL - Official Website

I think the OP's stats are apples and oranges in comparison to the Villages other 3 counties. But I have been known to be incorrect! lol
Actually, there are no other apples to compare because the upcoming explosive growth of The Villages is unique.

I did not say that the Developer's impact fee should be $20,000 like Collier County's, but it should be adequate to cover the impact of the massive expansion of The Villages--whatever that number is.

The basic point here is simple, and you are missing it if you get bogged down in comparisons: The Commissioners were faced with the choice of putting the cost of the impact of infrastructure expansion either (a) on their patron, the Developer, through higher impact fees OR (b) on us through higher taxes. They chose the latter.

Why do you think they did that?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Advogado For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2019, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

I (along with a total of probably 1,300 residents) was at the two Commissioners' meetings where public comments were listened to, and ignored by, the Commissioners. There were people there from less affluent areas of the County, near tears, explaining that they will be faced with the choice of paying their taxes or paying for their medicine.

If you took a poll of Sumter County residents and asked whether the expanded infrastructure should be paid for by higher taxes on them or higher impact fees on The Developer, I would wager that at least 95% would say through higher impact fees.

So, why did our representatives vote for higher taxes????

Last edited by Advogado; 09-29-2019 at 09:02 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Advogado For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 08:51 PM
Gold member

Because they could?
The Following User Says Thank You to Velvet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 10:54 PM
Gold member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

One fact can not be ignored. If the the new Villages South development south of 44 never happened, and the area was still open space, there would be no need to raise everyones taxes to build connecting infrastructure. And exactly who is financially benefiting form the new development? Not the people paying the 25% tax increase!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tophcfa For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2019, 06:07 AM
Sage

My tax bill went up 28% over the last 15 years and is still less than what I was paying in Pa. The available and new amenities are growing and access to new shopping and eating facilities will be available as growth continues. Those that believe growth should be halted have the "I got mine so stop" and frankly have no place here IMO. Anyone who moved here and doesn't believe there would be increases in taxes or other expenses have their head buried. And I'm really getting tired of everything being the Developes fault....where did you come from where the developers had responsibility for roads and highways.....everywhere I have lived it was always the responsibility of the town (Wildwood is responsible for south of 44) or the County (whch has responsibility for north of 44 ...except Villas) or the State. And when you vote out the Commissioners what do you expect the ones you vote in to do when faced with the same needs? Let the place deteriorate? If you have all the answers go jump in and see what you can do as an elected official...or is it just easer to annomously complain with no accountability.....end of rant.

Berks County Pennsylvania
The Following User Says Thank You to JoMar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2019, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
My tax bill went up 28% over the last 15 years and is still less than what I was paying in Pa. The available and new amenities are growing and access to new shopping and eating facilities will be available as growth continues. Those that believe growth should be halted have the "I got mine so stop" and frankly have no place here IMO. Anyone who moved here and doesn't believe there would be increases in taxes or other expenses have their head buried. And I'm really getting tired of everything being the Developes fault....where did you come from where the developers had responsibility for roads and highways.....everywhere I have lived it was always the responsibility of the town (Wildwood is responsible for south of 44) or the County (whch has responsibility for north of 44 ...except Villas) or the State. And when you vote out the Commissioners what do you expect the ones you vote in to do when faced with the same needs? Let the place deteriorate? If you have all the answers go jump in and see what you can do as an elected official...or is it just easer to annomously complain with no accountability.....end of rant.
I am not anonymously complaining. My name is listed above, and yours?

The point is that infrastructure expansion like we are experiencing is normally paid for by the developer responsible for it. Here the Developer's toadies on the Commission have not increased the preexisting impact fee (already a sweetheart rate) by 1 cent to cover it. They have increased taxes instead.

Don't you see what is going on or are you somehow connected with the Developer?

Last edited by Advogado; 10-02-2019 at 06:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Advogado For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2019, 07:05 AM
Platinum member

What you were paying in PA has nothing to do with taxes here. I really wish people would stop with those strawman arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to biker1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 AM
Sage

To say that the OP's post smacks of the POA shows little thought processing. It redirects the fact that we are getting a 25% tax increase in one year which coincides with the explosive growth south of 44. It should be food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chi-Town For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Big government, small government, all want more money. They don't earn it, they just take what they need/want. Why did they even have local meetings, it was a done deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bay Kid For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
county, developer, impact, sumter, fee