Why are the taxpayers, and not the developer, paying for the expansion of the village

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2019, 06:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

My tax bill went up 28% over the last 15 years and is still less than what I was paying in Pa. The available and new amenities are growing and access to new shopping and eating facilities will be available as growth continues. Those that believe growth should be halted have the "I got mine so stop" and frankly have no place here IMO. Anyone who moved here and doesn't believe there would be increases in taxes or other expenses have their head buried. And I'm really getting tired of everything being the Developes fault....where did you come from where the developers had responsibility for roads and highways.....everywhere I have lived it was always the responsibility of the town (Wildwood is responsible for south of 44) or the County (whch has responsibility for north of 44 ...except Villas) or the State. And when you vote out the Commissioners what do you expect the ones you vote in to do when faced with the same needs? Let the place deteriorate? If you have all the answers go jump in and see what you can do as an elected official...or is it just easer to annomously complain with no accountability.....end of rant.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-30-2019, 06:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
My tax bill went up 28% over the last 15 years and is still less than what I was paying in Pa. The available and new amenities are growing and access to new shopping and eating facilities will be available as growth continues. Those that believe growth should be halted have the "I got mine so stop" and frankly have no place here IMO. Anyone who moved here and doesn't believe there would be increases in taxes or other expenses have their head buried. And I'm really getting tired of everything being the Developes fault....where did you come from where the developers had responsibility for roads and highways.....everywhere I have lived it was always the responsibility of the town (Wildwood is responsible for south of 44) or the County (whch has responsibility for north of 44 ...except Villas) or the State. And when you vote out the Commissioners what do you expect the ones you vote in to do when faced with the same needs? Let the place deteriorate? If you have all the answers go jump in and see what you can do as an elected official...or is it just easer to annomously complain with no accountability.....end of rant.
I am not anonymously complaining. My name is listed above, and yours?

The point is that infrastructure expansion like we are experiencing is normally paid for by the developer responsible for it. Here the Developer's toadies on the Commission have not increased the preexisting impact fee (already a sweetheart rate) by 1 cent to cover it. They have increased taxes instead.

Don't you see what is going on or are you somehow connected with the Developer?

Last edited by Advogado; 10-02-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:05 AM
Sage

What you were paying in PA has nothing to do with taxes here. I really wish people would stop with those strawman arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

To say that the OP's post smacks of the POA shows little thought processing. It redirects the fact that we are getting a 25% tax increase in one year which coincides with the explosive growth south of 44. It should be food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Big government, small government, all want more money. They don't earn it, they just take what they need/want. Why did they even have local meetings, it was a done deal.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:17 AM

I guess I have to wonder. Of course I read it on the internet so it must be true.

At best without supporting documentation it is an opinion. I freely admit that I am new here and don't know what is going on, but I do know that there are almost always two sides to every argument. And it is very easy to look for shady reasons for something like a tax increase.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Apart from marking your calendar for almost a year from now, I didn't read anywhere what you are going to do about this, Advogado?
Old 09-30-2019, 08:02 AM

Thankfully we had moved from "Sumter County" 2 years ago.
In our 8 years there our R E Taxes went down appropriately 8 to 10%.

Why hasn't any group in "The Villages" or Resident in Sumter County contact the Attorney General about this unrepresented R E Tax restructure to benefit the "Morse Money Hungry Mogul's"?
The 5 Board members have been planted on the Board by the "Morse Money Hungry Mogul's".

Residents are being Screwed by the "Morse Money Hungry Mogul's".
Since when do Tax payers foot the bill for any Builders impact fees?
This is unheard of in any County or State in the "United States of America".

When Gary Morse was in control this was never was even a consideration.
He made it Affordable for new purchasers and residents in Sumter County.
Actually till Nov. 2018 the Sumter County R E Taxes were lowered for over 15 continuous years.
Now live with the GREED of the "Morse Money Hungry Mogul's" (Family).

How much money do they actually need?
Look up the Wealth of the Morse Family or Individually as I found this today:
"H. Gary Morse net worth: H. Gary Morse is an American entrepreneur who has a net worth of $2.5 billion. H. Gary Morse is the son of Michigan-born developer, Harold Schwartz".

Clean up "Sumter County Government" and the "Morse Money Hungry Mogul's" (Such a Shame)
Old 09-30-2019, 08:18 AM

One point that everyone seems to be overlooking, or maybe not, is that all developer's costs are passed on to the buyers of the development. Impact fees, infrastructure costs, etc are in one way or another passed on to each buyer of each new house/home in the new development. Most of the time is it reflected in the higher cost of the homes and lots. In fewer cases it is passed on as a bond. Of course if all these costs were included in the price of the new homes and villas, it might make them too costly for buyers. That would slow down new home sales.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,046 Times in 2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
One point that everyone seems to be overlooking, or maybe not, is that all developer's costs are passed on to the buyers of the development. Impact fees, infrastructure costs, etc are in one way or another passed on to each buyer of each new house/home in the new development. Most of the time is it reflected in the higher cost of the homes and lots. In fewer cases it is passed on as a bond. Of course if all these costs were included in the price of the new homes and villas, it might make them too costly for buyers. That would slow down new home sales.
Your point is very well taken and certainly not overlooked. That is why many existing homeowners are outraged. As you stated, "impact fees, infrastructure costs, etc are passed on to each buyer of each new house/home in the new development." You also stated that "if all these costs were included in the price of new homes and villas, it might make them too costly for buyers. That would slow down new home sales."

What you said is true, which is that impact fees for new development infrastructure are tryically paid by the buyers of the new homes in the development, because the developers pass the impact fees through in the price of the homes. The outrage here is that the developers effectively forced the impact fees to be paid by existing homeowners, allowing them to sell new homes cheaper and faster and make more money. So all Sumter county homeowners living north of 44 are subsidizing the developers profits. Personally, coming from someone with limited means, I don't particularly like subsidizing the profits of billionaires : (.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Been reading anti developer from the same source for many years.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I guess I have to wonder. Of course I read it on the internet so it must be true.

At best without supporting documentation it is an opinion. I freely admit that I am new here and don't know what is going on, but I do know that there are almost always two sides to every argument. And it is very easy to look for shady reasons for something like a tax increase.
Everything said in my post is easily verifiable.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Everything said in my post is easily verifiable.
Are you a lawyer?
Old 09-30-2019, 09:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
Basic economics: Competition prevents the Developer from simply passing all his increased costs on to the buyers of new houses. The Developer would have to absorb some or all of them. This is why he has had his toadies on the County Commission raise our taxes rather than his impact fees.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Apart from marking your calendar for almost a year from now, I didn't read anywhere what you are going to do about this, Advogado?
If it isn't clear to you, I am going to do what I can to replace the present County Commissioners with ones who are honest, competent, and independent of the Developer. Can I count on your support in this endeavor?
Closed Thread

Tags
county, developer, impact, sumter, fee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.