Why is The Villages so predominantly white?

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Gold member

Oh good grief! the population of the US is predominately white...what the hell do you expect??? Someone is a trouble maker...
Old 09-24-2017, 12:19 PM

Why is everything race ? Why can’t people just do what they want to do without everything being classified by race, gender etc.
somethings are just what they are. Why aren’t there more left handed dentists who knows who cars life’s too short to worry about it
Old 09-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Sage

There is only one color in the villages that means anything--its green--no hand outs or subsidies to live here--its not section 8 housing--

Last edited by Chatbrat; 09-24-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Platinum member

The answer is simple

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextave.../#3833f69c4f5b
Old 09-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Eternal Member

This thread is ridiculous. There is no reason what so ever to post this question !!!!
Old 09-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I have to agree with Bonny,

Asianthree
Old 09-24-2017, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
That's a good link.

I have met a few African-American couples here in the Villages and they seem to have done well for themselves. One was an immigrant from Africa who gained citizenship and managed some part of the New York City subway system. He style spoke with a strong accent.

And families come to the Villages. I know several pairs of sisters who moved to the Villages or near it.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:44 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Another trouble maker
Old 09-24-2017, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Another trouble maker
Why don't posters "QUOTE" the post they are replying about?
Old 09-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mountaineer View Post
A former co-worker tells me that The Villages' predominant whiteness is systemic. I haven't seen it in my 4 winters (4 months each time) in The Villages in the Historic District or on the golf courses. I also haven't seen class distinctions, with CEOs playing alongside former hourly workers with no difference in treatment to each other. Am I naïve? With the Schwartz family so in charge I would think that, with their heritage, they would not discriminate based on color, religion or ethnicity. So, why is The Villages so predominantly white? It can't be because of the financial requirements because millions of non-whites have as much $$$ resources as those of us living in The Villages. Enlighten me. How did this whiteness come about? Are non-whites uncomfortable in The Villages? Those I have encountered don't seem to act that way. But, not being non-white, I can't speak for them. Let's have an informative, civil discourse. I know The Villages is predominantly Republican because the voting tallies show that. But I want to know if the whiteness is systemic, or because non-whites don't want to join in. Educate me. My 43 years on newspapers always made me inquisitive and wanting to know as much as I can about my fellow human beings. Thank you very much for your civil responses. I do not accuse. I only want to know more about The Villages from those who have lived here far longer than I have.
I applaud you for attempting to have a civil discourse on the subject, but I think a big part of your answer(s)...come from the defensiveness of a lot of the posts.

I believe there is a group for African-Americans here and it would be great to hear their views/comments... on the questions you pose.

Because, as you mention, those of us who are white...can never speak for them and their experiences.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:16 PM

After spending so much of our lives in Washington D.C., moving here was quite different, but no better or worse. I do know people that find the lack of racial diversity as a negative. If I was prejudiced against minorities I would find the villages favorable, but I'm not so I say, ehh.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Get out of Town Join the NFL and Hollywood
Old 09-24-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mountaineer View Post
A former co-worker tells me that The Villages' predominant whiteness is systemic. I haven't seen it in my 4 winters (4 months each time) in The Villages in the Historic District or on the golf courses. I also haven't seen class distinctions, with CEOs playing alongside former hourly workers with no difference in treatment to each other. Am I naïve? With the Schwartz family so in charge I would think that, with their heritage, they would not discriminate based on color, religion or ethnicity. So, why is The Villages so predominantly white? It can't be because of the financial requirements because millions of non-whites have as much $$$ resources as those of us living in The Villages. Enlighten me. How did this whiteness come about? Are non-whites uncomfortable in The Villages? Those I have encountered don't seem to act that way. But, not being non-white, I can't speak for them. Let's have an informative, civil discourse. I know The Villages is predominantly Republican because the voting tallies show that. But I want to know if the whiteness is systemic, or because non-whites don't want to join in. Educate me. My 43 years on newspapers always made me inquisitive and wanting to know as much as I can about my fellow human beings. Thank you very much for your civil responses. I do not accuse. I only want to know more about The Villages from those who have lived here far longer than I have.
Anyone, any color, any race, religion or nationality can live here. So at this point you moved to the Villages so, what do you think the reason would be? Regarding your CEO friend, what did you give as an explanation? Regarding Systemic: we all bleed the same color!
Old 09-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts
Default Golf, culture and income gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by affald View Post
Answer...Duh... golf

Topic is such a bait it should immediately removed from the general forum.
Golf is definitely a big "draw" for a lot of residents. Tiger did get more African Americans involved in the game but African Americans and Hispanics are still a small number who play golf today. As a matter of fact, there are less golfers today than yesterday period.
While others seem to think this topic isn't appropriate I don't see why not. Perhaps this is part of the problem---we don't want to discuss such issues. This is a topic that can get "political" but it doesn't necessarily have to be a political subject.

The income gap and retirement savings discussed in post #19 has much to do with the number of minorities in The Villages. Unfortunately this gap is widening as opposed to narrowing.

The Villages does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender sexual orientation or national origin. Bottom line: A person only needs the "desire" and the "means" to live here in this place called The Villages.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
This thread is ridiculous. There is no reason what so ever to post this question !!!!

No question is ever ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, non-whites, predominantly, white, systemic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.