Why is The Villages so predominantly white?

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2017, 02:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I agree that this is a very interesting article and likely plays an Important role in our lack of racial diversity. I am friends with a black couple who live here and I will ask her for her imput.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:30 PM
Platinum member
Question Your answers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mountaineer View Post
A former co-worker tells me that The Villages' predominant whiteness is systemic. I haven't seen it in my 4 winters (4 months each time) in The Villages in the Historic District or on the golf courses. I also haven't seen class distinctions, with CEOs playing alongside former hourly workers with no difference in treatment to each other. Am I naïve? With the Schwartz family so in charge I would think that, with their heritage, they would not discriminate based on color, religion or ethnicity. So, why is The Villages so predominantly white? It can't be because of the financial requirements because millions of non-whites have as much $$$ resources as those of us living in The Villages. Enlighten me. How did this whiteness come about? Are non-whites uncomfortable in The Villages? Those I have encountered don't seem to act that way. But, not being non-white, I can't speak for them. Let's have an informative, civil discourse. I know The Villages is predominantly Republican because the voting tallies show that. But I want to know if the whiteness is systemic, or because non-whites don't want to join in. Educate me. My 43 years on newspapers always made me inquisitive and wanting to know as much as I can about my fellow human beings. Thank you very much for your civil responses. I do not accuse. I only want to know more about The Villages from those who have lived here far longer than I have.
1. Did you ask your "former co-worker" to produce evidence of such systemic exclusion? Was there any convincing evidence?

2. Have you looked into the ratio of Blacks to Whites in retirement communities throughout the United States? What did you find?

Satisfy your (and our) inquisitiveness.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
1. Did you ask your "former co-worker" to produce evidence of such systemic exclusion? Was there any convincing evidence?

2. Have you looked into the ratio of Blacks to Whites in retirement communities throughout the United States? What did you find?

Satisfy your (and our) inquisitiveness.
I looked at demographics of a couple of retirement communities and found The Villages - 95% white, Sun City AZ - 96% white, Sun City Center Tampa - 97% white. A quick look that seems to support the Forbes article.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:05 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,310 Times in 381 Posts

Why would blacks want to come to TV. If this community was predominately black most current residents would not have bothered to look here.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I grew up in St. Petersburg, Florida in the 1960's and my high school St. Petersburg High my senior year 1967-68 was 1200 students and about a 1/3 of the school or 400 students were African American. Our school wasn't the school for most blacks in St. Petersburg. Gibbs High School also had about 1200 students and only 7 students were white. I was suppose to go there until some boundary lines were changed 2 blocks from my house.

I lived on the southside of St. Pete and the area as a whole was predominately black. I just checked the stats and it hasn't changed much. St. Petersburg is 160,000 white, 60,000 black, 17,000 Hispanic, 8,000 Asian and 6,000 others. So if you had asked me when I was growing up if St. Petersburg was mostly white, I would of told you no. You can drive there now and see nothing but white people, it all depends on the part of the city. I find that African Americans who retire to Florida don't choose retirement communities where a minority would really stand out, but rather live among others of their own race and don't mind living in the cities because they came from city life. Of course there is the exception. In my CYV community we have 80 villas and 3 are owned by black families. In 2013 my High School had our 45th Reunion and our class of about 400, we had 80 students attend and only 1 was African American.

https://statisticalatlas.com/place/F...-and-Ethnicity
Old 09-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I had a very interesting conversation with someone just this week. They were from Europe and this was their first visit to the US. Guess what amazed them the most? Their exposure to the US was television. They honestly believed from watching US TV that we were at least 60% plus minority and most of that was black. What amazed them the most after visiting NY, Boston, a couple other smaller cities and some rural US was how many white people actually lived here. They couldn't believe the distorted view they got from US television. Their most shocking comment was that almost all our news broadcasters were black. They just didn't understand what was happening here.

Shocked me that folks from overseas would notice that.

Tags
villages, non-whites, predominantly, white, systemic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.