widow ?

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2018, 01:30 PM
Question widow ?

I searched the threads and didn't get anything so here goes.

Would a 58-year-old widow fit in at the Villages ?

Advice for visiting ? Rent a home for a few days or do the Villages Preview package ?

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:35 PM

Short answer is - probably. Long answer - it's really up to you. The lifestyle visit is a good way to get a taste of what it's like. After that, if you think you'd like it but not quite sure, the next several months are a great time to get good rental rates on a nice furnished place where you can spend some time determining if it's for you while figuring out the areas you'd most like to live, etc.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Also, there is a singles club/group, they advertise their gathers quite often on this site.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choclab74 View Post
I searched the threads and didn't get anything so here goes.

Would a 58-year-old widow fit in at the Villages ?

Advice for visiting ? Rent a home for a few days or do the Villages Preview package ?

Thanks.

click here and search for singles

If there is a group leader give them a call. Ask them. It's amazing how friendly people are down here. By the time you get here you may have a half dozen friends.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

If you’re an extrovert, being single and under 60 is not much of an issue. TV is more couples-oriented but there are many activities where having a mate is absolutely irrelevant. A bigger factor is if you are still working. Most organized activities are during the day. Nighttime is more for going out with friends, dinners, etc. You’ll find some neighborhoods welcoming, some not.

Don’t limit yourself to just people in your age group or similar marital status. Be friendly to all. Invite neighbors to a driveway get together a time or two. Go to club meetings where the subject matter interests you. Hang out at the pool. Relax, have fun. It may take a little time but finding your niche is actually very doable here.

You really should plan on a longer visit than just a week or two. That won’t give you enough time to see if you think you’ll fit in. Rent for at least a month at a time. High season is friendlier than the regular season (we’re kinda stuck in our ways and back to regular activities with friends and neighbors).

My condolences on your loss. May your next journey give you some joy and peace.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-11-2018, 05:01 PM

thank you ! I am definitely an extrovert and have many interests.

What is "high season" vs "regular season"
Old 04-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Sage

Snowbirds and renters are down Jan-Feb-Mar. Rents are high. I suppose this would be called the shoulder season.

IMHO the best weather is Apr-May Sep-Oct
Old 04-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

If you do the life style visit do it for the maximum days allowed, couple days is not enough time IMO. I agree, rent in late spring or summer for at least month to get good feel when rates will be lower.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
thank you ! I am definitely an extrovert and have many interests.

What is "high season" vs "regular season"
If you are an extrovert you should do well here. We have several widows, divorced and separated ladies in our neighborhood and they are very active with all the activities this fun place has to offer.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-11-2018, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Snowbirds and renters are down Jan-Feb-Mar. Rents are high. I suppose this would be called the shoulder season.

IMHO the best weather is Apr-May Sep-Oct
IMO the start flying in November and majority stay into April?
Old 04-11-2018, 05:23 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
If you are an extrovert you should do well here. We have several widows, divorced and separated ladies in our neighborhood and they are very active with all the activities this fun place has to offer.
We also have several single ladies in our neighborhood and they are enjoying themselves here.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:30 PM
Question any widows out there ?

Hi, I'm Margie from Massachusetts. Age 58, widowed 2.5 years now, need to make a change and find a new life.

Am planning to visit the Villages in May to check it out. Never thought I would move south but the weather, finances, and the idea of an active community are pulling me there.

My question: will I find others my age ? I am very outgoing, have lots of interests, love the sun and music, social gatherings etc. I also enjoy my quiet, alone time. Would the villages be a place where I would fit in?

I know the visit is key.Just wondering if any widows could chime in with their experience on making the move to the Villages.

Thanks !
Old 04-11-2018, 05:55 PM

I would not recommend it. The singles groups are goofy! I am moving out after 2 years.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:20 PM

There is also a south of 60 group which you might like & if you are working a working club for people still working. Plenty to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-11-2018, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Hi, I'm Margie from Massachusetts. Age 58, widowed 2.5 years now, need to make a change and find a new life.

Am planning to visit the Villages in May to check it out. Never thought I would move south but the weather, finances, and the idea of an active community are pulling me there.
My question: will I find others my age ? I am very outgoing, have lots of interests, love the sun and music, social gatherings etc. I also enjoy my quiet, alone time. Would the villages be a place where I would fit in?
I know the visit is key.Just wondering if any widows could chime in with their experience on making the move to the Villages. Thanks !

I'm not a widow, but I have several friends who are. And they fit in perfectly. So yes, come on down.
You'll wonder why you ever questioned moving to The Villages.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.