widow ?

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2018, 08:41 PM
Default I think what most are saying is if you can try it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choclab74 View Post
Hi, I'm Margie from Massachusetts. Age 58, widowed 2.5 years now, need to make a change and find a new life.

Am planning to visit the Villages in May to check it out. Never thought I would move south but the weather, finances, and the idea of an active community are pulling me there.

My question: will I find others my age ? I am very outgoing, have lots of interests, love the sun and music, social gatherings etc. I also enjoy my quiet, alone time. Would the villages be a place where I would fit in?

I know the visit is key.Just wondering if any widows could chime in with their experience on making the move to the Villages.

Thanks !
We do not know your financial condition. We do not know your ability to do stuff like change an AC filter, shut off a leaking toilet etc etc etc.

I think the best suggestion is if you are not working to rent a place for at least two weeks a month would be better.
TO SEE IF YOU LIKE IT.

One post said they are leaving after two years. My wife is far happier here than I am. I would prefer far more space.

You reported you are from Massachusetts. If, you come in the summer you will find the heat is oppressive. Just as you did in the north, you get used to the snow, cold etc.
Your body will adjust to the heat. Heck when it hits 40 around here you will see people with gloves and earmuffs.

Truth after four years, palm trees seem normal. A guy selling stuff dressed in a Santa Suit with Bermuda shorts seems ALMOST NORMAL.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:45 PM

Of course you will fit in! There is something for everyone here. Don't let anyone discourage you. Come and feel welcome!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysunshine1948 View Post
I would not recommend it. The singles groups are goofy! I am moving out after 2 years.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I searched the threads and didn't get anything so here goes.

Would a 58-year-old widow fit in at the Villages ?

Advice for visiting ? Rent a home for a few days or do the Villages Preview package ?

Thanks.
Rumor has it that those in your situation have a better time here, if they learn to make...killer casseroles.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

The only problem I see is.........................wives!
Old 04-12-2018, 06:24 AM

"Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down." --Ray Bradbury
Old 04-12-2018, 06:43 AM

what do you mean by "goofy" and is that the only reason you are moving out ?
Old 04-12-2018, 09:32 AM

I Like TV when I was married and now that I’m divorced I still like it. Have great neighbors and lots of activities.
Went to some of the singles groups and like everything it’s what you make of it.
Personally it wasn’t for me but a lot of singles enjoy them.
I have a few single women in my neighborhood and I’m the token single guy.
All is good.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

My neighbor is a widow under very sad circumstances, they purchased the home and he passed within days of the purchase and she came here on her own! She is an absolute joy. She did not come for another man and has no interest in a male companion. She has the biggest circle of single lady friends, widows, never marrieds, divorced - you name it. They are really nice people and they have a great life together. They travel all over the world, they are constantly doing something fun. However, she is financially secure - and that makes a huge difference. She also has a very supportive family living in the North.

I believe you would have more chance of meeting singles in TV than you would in your neighborhood now. This is a very safe area. The movie houses are safe for singles. The restaurants are welcoming to singles. There is so much you could do with volunteering to fill your days and if you were so inclined, there are loads of "filler" jobs, i.e. Publix are always hiring cashiers and ******* and they work around your hours. Most of the stores in my area are crying out for part time help, you will not get rich, but it would pass some time until you got adjusted to a new life.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I have no idea why the powers that be starred out that word, it was a word describing the people packing your food into sacks!!!! Oh, technology!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-12-2018, 12:48 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

The only think we don't have is a beach. If you can't find happiness and keep busy here, there will be very few other places to try that compare to TV. You might want to try the new village of Fenney or Desoto as everyone is new and meeting new friends daily which makes it a little easier to find friends. There are over 100 singles already in Fenney and I believe that 56 or so have joined the Fenney singles group. Not kicking the other villages as they are all great, just a little different when everyone is new and eager to make friends.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:40 AM
Location: formerly Logan, and Charleston, WV Currently The Village of Pennecamp

I came here 8 years ago as a 48 year old widow. I knew no one but I met neighbors and friends right away. I found this a wonderful, welcoming, and safe place for a woman alone for the first time. I am not an extrovert at all but found people to be friendly and nice. I encourage you to try it!
Old 04-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I searched the threads and didn't get anything so here goes.

Would a 58-year-old widow fit in at the Villages ?

Advice for visiting ? Rent a home for a few days or do the Villages Preview package ?

Thanks.
I would suggest a month rental. There are a number of singles in our neighborhood villas, and the people are wonderful.

Scituate is a “high rent” town. You’ll be SHOCKED how far your real estate dollars will go here.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.