Wifi sprinkler controller

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2021, 04:21 AM
Default Wifi sprinkler controller

We are thinking of changing our manual controller for our sprinklers to a wifi controller.
Any suggestions of a model would be appreciated. Was it difficult to install?

Thanks so much
Old 09-22-2021, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

If you perform a search for sprinkler controllers, or various similar words, you will find many testimonials for various versions. . .
Old 09-22-2021, 06:39 AM
Platinum member

Two weeks ago I replaced my original Hunter controller with an Orbit B-hyve wifi 4 zone timer. It was an easy conversion (under an hour), and I’ve been very satisfied with the new one.

I was concerned that the wifi signal might not penetrate the metal cabinet in the garage but it does just fine. I bought the B-hyve controller in Lowes and it was around $60.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
Two weeks ago I replaced my original Hunter controller with an Orbit B-hyve wifi 4 zone timer. It was an easy conversion (under an hour), and I’ve been very satisfied with the new one.

I was concerned that the wifi signal might not penetrate the metal cabinet in the garage but it does just fine. I bought the B-hyve controller in Lowes and it was around $60.
Was it easy to swap out?
Mamaroneck, NY
New Rochelle, NY
Alpharetta, GA
Cumming, GA
Village of Citrus Grove , The Villages, FL
Old 09-22-2021, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:

Agree with this. I installed the version that also has controls at the box but the 4 station B Hyve works well using your computer or phone (with the free app). Installation is just a wire for wire replacement with your old controller. Took me about 30 minutes for the physical installation and about 30 minutes to program it. Google Orbit B-hyve for info.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 09-22-2021, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Same for the B-Hyve four zone controller, with wifi.

my only issue was that following the setup instructions and getting a positive response, didn't actually take on the server, and the server admin had to add my system manually.

Other than that, gone from 2,000 to 5,000 gallons a month to less than 1,000 a month, same months, year over year
Old 09-22-2021, 08:36 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriS View Post
Was it easy to swap out?
When people ask, was it easy, I hesitate because everything is easy if you know how, have done it before, and of course if you have the right tools.

Before I started I took a picture of the Hunter’s wiring so that I’d know what color wires went to each zone. I also found the mini screw driver that came with the B-hyve was difficult to turn and so used my own.

I should also mention that within the last two weeks, the B-hyve has dropped its WiFi connection twice, which is somewhat concerning. If you’re present it’s not a big deal to reestablish the WiFi connection via Bluetooth. But if you’re away, you might need to reboot your router to do so. Not happy with this issue. I plan to open the door on the cabinet if we’re away. That might improve wifi reception.

Last edited by REDCART; 09-22-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote:

I should also mention that within the last two weeks, the B-hyve has dropped its WiFi connection twice, which is somewhat concerning. If you’re present it’s not a big deal to reestablish the WiFi connection via Bluetooth. But if you’re away, you might need to reboot your router to do so. Not happy with this issue. I plan to open the door on the cabinet if we’re away. That might improve wifi reception.
Like the B-Hyve but it also lost wifi connection a couple of times. Fixed by resetting power.

So I added a wifi switch that recycles power once a day.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:40 PM

I purchased a Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler 8-zone from Amazon. Installed it in amount 30 minutes. On-line video walked me through the installation process. Now I can monitor system when out of town. System will skip watering with notification to you if enough rain has fallen. Happy I can now control when and how much to water just from my phone.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Like the B-Hyve but it also lost wifi connection a couple of times. Fixed by resetting power.

So I added a wifi switch that recycles power once a day.
Thanks for the suggestion. I also have Leviton wifi timers that may be used as a switch, which would reboot the B-hyve but only when needed rather than once a day. It’s not a perfect solution but would work. If I knew dropping the wifi connection was a known defect, I probably would have tried the Rachio brand.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:43 AM

I have the Rachio controller as well. It is connected to the internet via Wifi and monitors all the local weather stations so it knows when or not to water. I reduced my irrigation water from 6,000 gallons using the old timer that came with the house to 3,500 gallons. My grass and shrubs are perfect. The device keeps track of how much water in percentage that each zone gets and waters accordingly vs a set day(s) of the week. It also has the standard phone interface for remote control. All these devices connect up using the same wires just no need to connect the external rain sensor. I highly recommend it. Always take a picture of the wires on the existing controller before you touch anything.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:36 AM

Here's a review that I wrote about the Yardian Pro controller.
Yardian Pro smart sprinkler controller review - The Gadgeteer

It was an easy swap out from the original controller. The app on my phone lets me control every zone. I have everything set to automatic. It gets hyper-local weather from the weather station in my back yard and adjusts watering according to temperature and rainfall. It can also retrieve our local watering restrictions (yes, there are watering restrictions in The Villages) and it waters appropriately.

It's pretty handy when I get quarterly maintenance on my system and I can turn on each zone from my phone as the tech goes around the yard. I can also turn zones on and off right from the controller. I won't go back to a manual system.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:01 AM

Fantastic information guys! I never thought of getting one, but after reading this thread, I'm onboard!!

Old 09-24-2021, 10:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Rachio 3, easy install and no problems since last winter.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Rachio 3, easy install and no problems since last winter.
Closed Thread

Tags
controller, wifi, thinking, install, difficult

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.